• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Black powder lets see um

My new, and only, front stuffer....
Bought it a month ago and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet!!

Pietta Remington NMA .44 Traget Model

IMG-20200809-120408266.jpg

Back in 1997 when they confiscated our pistols, a lot of pistol shooters turned to BP, as the UK Government didn't ban those...(they said they were "not especially dangerous"..!?!?! shows how clueless they are..).

I'd heard how much hassle BP was compared to smokeless, so didn't want to go that way and switched to pistol calibre rifles, then eventually full power rifles.

But at the end of last year I decided to give it a try, and as my FireArm Certificate was up for renewal it was the ideal time to ask for a "slot" for a BP revolver... and yes, here in the UK even BP guns have to go on your FAC, unlike the rest of Europe where you can buy them unrestricted from sporting good stores.

I may well give it a go and decide that the hassle isn't worth it, but at least its a "proper" revolver, and not the abominations that we can own as "Long barrelled Revolvers"

@Daryll I believe you may fall in love as I did many years ago. The cap n ball revolver is pure joy for me, it checks many pleasure boxes the pure mechanical beauty, the ability to experiment with each chamber loaded as an individual with various powder combinations round ball or conical 2f or 3f , black powder vs substitutes etc endless fun. Flash BOOM SMOKE is hard to not get addicted to. My 1851 .36 is one of the most accurate pistols ive ever shot , using 175 yr old technology to embarass other shooters is very satisfying. And the knowledge that should modern cartridges be unavailable the ability to create projectiles and fuel at home is also nice( and yes even percussion caps can be made using aluminum cans )
I hope it gives you as much enjoyment as it does me, heck I even enjoy the clean up.

I just happened to watch a really nice set of videos on youtube today. The young fella talked a lot, but the video series was pretty good.

@Daryll I believe you may fall in love as I did many years ago. The cap n ball revolver is pure joy for me, it checks many pleasure boxes the pure mechanical beauty, the ability to experiment with each chamber loaded as an individual with various powder combinations round ball or conical 2f or 3f , black powder vs substitutes etc endless fun. Flash BOOM SMOKE is hard to not get addicted to. My 1851 .36 is one of the most accurate pistols ive ever shot , using 175 yr old technology to embarass other shooters is very satisfying. And the knowledge that should modern cartridges be unavailable the ability to create projectiles and fuel at home is also nice( and yes even percussion caps can be made using aluminum cans )
I hope it gives you as much enjoyment as it does me, heck I even enjoy the clean up.

I got to see that thing about making percussion caps...

I watched a number of videos about how to make your own black powder and of course the caveat is usually the same: My charcoal is not your charcoal, and your charcoal may be different than my charcoal, so be damn careful until you figure out your charcoal.

This showed up on my doorstep this afternoon.View attachment 24043

Uberti 1861 Navy .36 caliber. Needless to say, I have a lot to learn.
Where did you pick that up from. Im still needing to scratch the itch. Youtuber Dualist1954 or something like that has several videos on upgrading those for reliability. I watched a bunch last winter when I was bored.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

While looking into DIY caps, I found a guy selling reloading kits for .22 LR and .22 WMR.
I always thought this was possible, but never saw it done before.

Most interesting bit: one pound of powder loads 3500-4000 rounds. With the world's tiniest dipper.
I'm not sure I'd make it through the first pound. ;) With my fingers, I might better stick to reloading shotguns.

Anyhow this turned my mind to the thought of squirrel guns and naval revolvers, and a new safe to hold them.
Perhaps I will live long enough.

Where did you pick that up from. Im still needing to scratch the itch. Youtuber Dualist1954 or something like that has several videos on upgrading those for reliability. I watched a bunch last winter when I was bored.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Midwayusa. I had not been able to find even one revolver in town.

I have never owned a black powder gun, but I certainly appreciate them.
1207201359.jpg just go ahead and grab a mold , wads and quick tubes, extra bore butter till ya decide to make your own , if a nipple wrench didnt come with pistol get one also.
You can punch own wads but for the price I dont mind buying em, I buy unlubed and if I want em lubed its easy to do. Enjoy experienceenting. Be safe have fun

In between Lock-downs, i did get my NMA to the range a couple of times.. 1st time I took a range of loads between 24 to 26 gns, in 0.5 gn steps...they were grouping Ok at 25 yds, but high... 26gns was going about 9'' high, with the sights bottomed out.
2nd visit I went lower, 20 to 23 gns and 23 gns was about POA.

(Whenever I next take it to the range I'll try going higher... a lot of people talk about 30gns being their usual load. I do wonder whether the extra velocity will lower the groups... like when you shoot .357 through a .38 zeroed gun.. the magnums shoot lower..)

Generally I'm pleased with it so far, no misfires, and cleaning wasn't too bad, ran the barrel and cylinders under a tap, then stuck the whole thing (minus grips) in a U/S cleaner for 10 mins, then re-lubed.

(... I do wonder whether the extra velocity will lower the groups... like when you shoot .357 through a .38 zeroed gun.. the magnums shoot lower..)
I had not heard of that. Is that because of the greater time-in-barrel of the slower .38 that causes more elevation increase [flip] at exit that causes its higher trajectory?

[Please excuse the offtopickness of this query.]

View attachment 24220 just go ahead and grab a mold , wads and quick tubes, extra bore butter till ya decide to make your own , if a nipple wrench didnt come with pistol get one also.
You can punch own wads but for the price I dont mind buying em, I buy unlubed and if I want em lubed its easy to do. Enjoy experienceenting. Be safe have fun

I ordered up a package of wads, lubed, and grease for nipples from Dixie today. I have a nipple wrench, pick, flask, bore butter, and powder measure just waiting to be used.

Back