• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt Action Rifles

Re: Ruger M77 in 7mm mag

Thanks for the replies. I am starting to think, I should pass on the 7mm and find one in 30-06. :)

Ruger M77 Mk II rifles are good American-made guns based on a Mauser action. They are strong, sleek, and rugged. While not known for having an excellent trigger, it is possible to swap out the 7-8 pound trigger for something far lower. The receivers and bolts are exceptionally well made, but their barrels have had some occasional periods where the quality was a bit substandard.

I like mine, a lot. It's a .243 Winchester with American Walnut stock and it's a very good rifle. I really appreciate the controlled round feed of a Mauser bolt action. I think it is far superior to the push feed of a Rem 700 or Win 70 when dealing with tough climates and weather.

Ruger chambers the M77 Mk II for more cartridges than any other rifle that I know of, which shows balls on their part. And they have a superb customer service attitude.

I think that an un-scoped M77 @ $499 is a bit steep, as new ones go for $600 all day long and they include the very good Ruger integral scope rings which are worth around $60 themselves.

And as far as 7mm Mag goes, I can take it or leave it. I don't shoot at long ranges so the .243 and the .270 work very well for me without the harsher recoil of the seven-mag.

Thanks nitsite. The m77 I saw is a 7mm mag and does come with the scope rings, but no scope.

Look what followed me home from Cabelas day before yesterday.

Savage MKII TR Cabelas Special Edition .22LR.

This is going to be my next project gun for Grand Kids Squirrel League Competition next year.

While not a compete list by any means...I already have a discontinued Vortex 4x12x40AO w/Target Turrets and Fine cross hairs, A set of generic Low Mount rings, a UTG Foliage Universal Cheek rest and a 6 to 9 Caldwell Bipod on the way.

I'll probably change out the bottom metal and screws as well. Maybe order a thread protector and loose the goofy comp.

img2616z.jpg

I have a weakness for WWI and WWII Bolt Guns. Lee Enfields to be exact. Heres one of my Brits.
4Enfield.jpg

Me caught doing a Mad Minute top off, same rifle.
Scott303Bullet.jpg

Update on the Savage MKII Cabelas Special Edition .22LR project.

img2639ra.jpg

So far I like the Caldwell 6 to 9 XLA Bipod and the Vortex Discontinued Crossfire 4x12x40 for a budget build.

I don't like that set of Centerpoint rings at all. They'll eventually get switched out. I'll probably go with a set of Burris Extreme Low mounts, when I switch out the Scope Rail for a 20 MOA EGW. For right now though they'll have to do because I've shot my gun budget for this month. If I spend any more this month I'll be digging .38 P+ lead out of my butt from Mrs Rook's Ruger LCR. :D

582365_367144270007204_345650146_n.jpg

Friend putting some rounds through the M24. First time she ever shot a rifle and she did very well.

389212_366711916717106_653721784_n.jpg

M24 and SPS T doing some dry fire in the driveway Friday evening.

601375_366729310048700_1445145051_n.jpg

Got the deployment kit out to make some adjustments on the bolt guns.

181417_367193740002257_1992406224_n.jpg

M24SPST.jpg

100_1708.jpg

CDIDBM5and10rnd.jpg

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Here are a couple I built over the summer.

26" AICS Remy 700 SPS Varmint .308

20" AICS Remy 700 SPS Tactical .223

How well does that 20" barrel shoot a .308 at longer ranges?? I am looking at one for my Savage

I've since rebuilt the .308 pictured above using a 20" Remy AAC-SD barrel...

In my experience, usually shooting out to 400-450yds, the 24" barrel didn't offer anything but a longer, heavier weapon. You won't sacrifice any accuracy with the shorter 20" barrel which has actually yielded tighter, more consistent groups due in large part to a decrease in barrel resonance. You'll lose approx. 100fps velocity overall necessitating greater windage and elevation adjustment at longer distances. The only other loss due to a decrease in muzzle velocity (depending on your loads) would be the last 100yds or so on max effective range out to 1000-1200yds.

Awesome! Thanks! I have a Stevens 200 in .308 and am using it as the basis for a budget build rifle. Wanting to use a 20" and wasn't quite sure how the shorter length was going to effect the bullet! Also, would you say that an 11 degree crown would be good? I don't think I am going to thread it.

EDIT: I thought they were both .308, didn't notice that it was 26" either way good to know there isn't much change

An 11° crown would be good for a benchrest / target rifle. Some hunting rifles with lighter weight barrels may do better with a 15° crown. The most important thing is making sure that the bore is centered in the crown and all burrs are removed.

I messed up a crown once... I won't be doing that again! I will have someone who has done barrels before do it!

Now it is going to be a Heavy Barrel Varmint Sniper haha if that makes sense. 20" Heavy Varmint Contour, 15 or 11 degree? Bell and Carlson Medalist will be the stock

EDIT: I will be using this to hunt Ground Hogs and possibly deer! Nothing over 300 or 350 yards

Back