• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt Disassembly

blindhog

Copper BB
Has anyone taken their bolt apart to clean it ? If so any any information on the procedure would be nice.
Thanks The Hog

I have not yet but maybe I will try and do so this weekend. If I do I will be sure to take pictures and video of the process.

anyone know how to disassemble the bolt?

just wondering how to disassemble it to see if there is any factory grease inside or what not so i can clean it and get it really smooth opening after a shot.

Re: anyone know how to disassemble the bolt?

should just be a couple of pins to knock out . Some close pics and I might beable to help.

If you can't figure out how to get it apart, why not just a good overnight soak?

Hoppes #9 is what I would use. Then is you can blow it out with air....dry air.

Ed's Red.

Oli, I love Hoppe's #9!!!!!!!! I always have some around and have for 30 years.

But it would take three bottles of Hoppes #9 to fill a container deep enough to submerge a bolt for a good soak. For about $16 you could make almost a gallon of Ed's Red and it's terrific stuff that would last forever! And Ed's Red is particularly effective on shotgun barrel bores and general cleaning of everything but stubborn copper..

Blow it clean and dry with air or brake-clean.

There..... ;)

My .25-06 4X4 is in Pennsylvania deer hunting without me this week.... :cry:

When my 13 year old gets back from Grampa's with it next week, I'll take some pics and try and make a walk-through of how to disassemble / re-assemble the bolt assy....

Smitty

nitesite said:
Ed's Red.

Oli, I love Hoppe's #9!!!!!!!! I always have some around and have for 30 years.

But it would take three bottles of Hoppes #9 to fill a container deep enough to submerge a bolt for a good soak. For about $16 you could make almost a gallon of Ed's Red and it's terrific stuff that would last forever! And Ed's Red is particularly effective on shotgun barrel bores and general cleaning of everything but stubborn copper..

Blow it clean and dry with air or brake-clean.

There..... ;)

Good call. In that case Simple Green might be a good choice....make sure to oil very light so it dosent rust after you soak it

Never heard of Ed's yet.

Smitty in CT said:

When my 13 year old gets back from Grampa's with it next week, I'll take some pics and try and make a walk-through of how to disassemble / re-assemble the bolt assy....

Smitty
Nice :cool:

Smitty in CT said:
My 13 year old took a 165 lb doe this morning.... 130 yards...

Smitty

OK, here's the report..... PA Deer season is over.

Deer shot at 6.....

Deer taken 2; 1 doe @ 120 yards, & 1 male @ 150 yards (We won't call him a buck because @ 150 yards you couldn't tell he had "buttons"...) filled an "antlerless" tag....

The deer that were taken were all clean...but, the gun "mis-fired" 4 out of 6 shots!! We were using Winchester 115 gr. Supreme® Ballistic Silvertip® ammo...

"Luckily" all of the shots were @ does and not some monster 12 pointer, but still....

I have a call and an e-mail in to Mossberg for a return shipping label so they can fix this........needless to say, I'm not a "happy camper"...

Mossberg sent me a return shipping label....

The gun has been sent down to Eagle Pass, we'll see how long it takes to get it back....

I'll keep everybody posted...

Smitty

Ripsnortr said:
What did the rounds look like? Was there a solid primer strike?

A couple were "light" hits, but others "looked" like they should have fired....

I'ts really frustrating, the gun is very accurate (sub-1" groups @ 100 yards), but with the price of .25-06 ammo, it's going to be expensive to build up the confidence that the gun is going to be 100% when it comes back.....

Smitty

I received my (my son's) rifle back last night (thanks to an honest neighbor, correct address, but, Fed Ex left it on his doorstep instead of mine...)

Two & a half week turn around!! I'm impressed!!

There was no paperwork stating wha they did, but, based on tearing it down, here's what I can see that they did...

1) Replaced Bolt assembly (bolt handle is different, old one had a "ball", new one has a "flat".
2) Replaced LBA trigger assembly (old safety had a "tab", similar to bolt release, new one has a "knob")
3) Marks on the barrel nut (they had to adjust head space to the new bolt)

I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet, but am hopefully optimistic that the mis-fires have been taken care of....

I will keep everyone updated!!!

Smitty

Back