• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt sticking issue

I've had my Plinkster almost a month now, and I'm very impressed with it's accuracy. Put about 400 rnds thru it and so far, not one jam or FTE.

One issue that keeps cropping up is the bolt sometimes hangs up when I try to close it after inserting a full magazine. I pull the charging handle out to unlock the bolt, and when I let it go it does not always go into battery. It appears to be hanging up on the magazine. Once it goes into battery, and I squeeze the trigger, it has never failed to eject the spent round and go into battery... just initially when inserting a loaded magazine.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be causing this? Is it a magazine issue? Is it a feed ramp issue?

Hmmm... interesting thought. I've not tried it with less than a full 10 count in the mag. Will try that when I get back out with it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Is it only on a full mag ? If so check if it does it loading 1 short of full.

It appears that you are correct in your diagnosis. One loads all the time with a full mag, the other won't. Take one round out and leave a 9 count and it works great.

Now, this begs the question... do I leave it and let it break in a bit longer... As I stated earlier, I've only had it a month, round count is now about 450, or, do I disassemble it and nip a turn off the spring? I'm inclined to just leave it for the moment and see if it will weaken it a bit.

It appears that you are correct in your diagnosis. One loads all the time with a full mag, the other won't. Take one round out and leave a 9 count and it works great.

Now, this begs the question... do I leave it and let it break in a bit longer... As I stated earlier, I've only had it a month, round count is now about 450, or, do I disassemble it and nip a turn off the spring? I'm inclined to just leave it for the moment and see if it will weaken it a bit.
Hey even a broke clock is correct twice a day ! As for what next ? Suppose depends on level of ocd ? Id prolly just use as it is maybe grab another mag at some point i have friends who would insist at cost spare no expense in if it saya 10 it MUST do 10, lol . your toy your choice just ENJOY

Hey even a broke clock is correct twice a day ! As for what next ? Suppose depends on level of ocd ? Id prolly just use as it is maybe grab another mag at some point i have friends who would insist at cost spare no expense in if it saya 10 it MUST do 10, lol . your toy your choice just ENJOY

I might use it as is, will have to see. I'm not too ocd where everything has to work, but this particular gun was bought with completion in mind... sometimes I need all the rounds I can get. I think I'll just leave it fully charged for a while and see what happens.... maybe that will take some of the tension out of it.

Thanks again for pointing out the problem for me.

Brian

I might use it as is, will have to see. I'm not too ocd where everything has to work, but this particular gun was bought with completion in mind... sometimes I need all the rounds I can get. I think I'll just leave it fully charged for a while and see what happens.... maybe that will take some of the tension out of it.

Thanks again for pointing out the problem for me.

Brian

So, mags have been charged for a week and a half. Finally got to the range with it today and it didn't make any difference in the first one jamming on a full 10 count.

Not sure I want to clip the mag spring to remove some of the tension as once it's cut, it's cut... can't put it back on. Think I will probably live with it the way it is.

Brian

So, mags have been charged for a week and a half. Finally got to the range with it today and it didn't make any difference in the first one jamming on a full 10 count.

Not sure I want to clip the mag spring to remove some of the tension as once it's cut, it's cut... can't put it back on. Think I will probably live with it the way it is.

Brian
I would do the same thing. Just have to only shoot 9 squirrels with that mag ;)

Can you take the mag apart and see if it is clean inside or maybe some other problem? (follower tilted, spring not completely seated where it belongs, etc.) I had a ten shot Kel-Tec mag that would only hold nine rounds, took it apart and found that there were TWO followers in it, one stacked on top of the other. After putting one in my parts box the mag now holds ten, just like it should.

Ok, final solution to this... I took the mags apart and sanded the top of the follower. Took about .003 off and they work flawlessly now. Bolt closes like it should on a fully charged mag, and mag feeds all 10 so I'm going to call it done. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Well
Ok, final solution to this... I took the mags apart and sanded the top of the follower. Took about .003 off and they work flawlessly now. Bolt closes like it should on a fully charged mag, and mag feeds all 10 so I'm going to call it done. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Well done !! Glad you posted final resolution

Sounds like you nailed it. Kinda stinks that you needed to in the first place, but you did good.

I have to report that this was successful. Between my son and I, we were able to get to bolt to close successfully over 2 sets of fully charged mags today. I would have tried it a few more times but was in a 3gun and moved onto to other firearms.

John A, yes, one would think that this would work flawlessly out of the box, but with everything that is mass produced, there are bound to be a few hiccups along the way. If this is the worst thing that goes wrong, I'm good with it.

Back