• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bout as new as they come.

Howdy, my name is BeaverIslander, guess where I live?
I just bought a Shockwave 20ga that is in-transit right now. It will go to an FFL 32 miles over water from where I live. I am going to the mainland on 12/21 for a root canal of all things, but the good news is I pick up the Shockwave that day too so I'm almost excited....ALMOST.
I'm really looking forward to practicing with it and hopefully becoming proficient.

Hello, Beaver, Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.

Good morning. Welcome to the forum. Congratulations about the shotgun. Not so much on the root canal. But, if you're wanting to keep the tooth, I guess you should be grateful for that too.

Welcome from MI!!

Good morning. Welcome to the forum. Congratulations about the shotgun. Not so much on the root canal. But, if you're wanting to keep the tooth, I guess you should be grateful for that too.
Thanks for the warm welcomes!
As far as keeping the tooth, I debated long and hard. I might be sorry but I'll see if I can get through the whole procedure. Years ago I had one and the dentist had my mouth stretched open for so long the disc in the joint popped out and I had to eat through a straw for a couple weeks and 40 years later I still have trouble with it. That's what makes me nervous.

Plus.... the older I get the fewer things I enjoy.... a nice steak is up at the top of that list.

Welcome to the forum. Several of us have been running Shockwaves since they came out and they are excellent tools. Despite what some will say, they are easy to aim once you've got a little practice and learn the push/pull technique.

Regards

I'm hoping I'll be OK in 20Ga. A couple years ago I had a nice FN-SLP in 12ga and had to give it up. Have had shoulder issues/surgeries and I flat couldn't do it. It was semi-auto so those reduced recoil loads weren't an option. Sense the Shockwave isn't actually shouldered I'm hopeful, guess I'll know soon enough.

Many people with semiautos that aren't running low brass shells will purchase lighter springs, or purchase a replacement spring and begin cutting a half coil at a time until it will cycle reduced recoil handicap loads. Then they could use the other/original spring to use for the hunting loads and the cut/trimmed spring for the soft loads. Most semiauto shotgun main springs usually cost around 8 bucks here in the states. So it's not like having to put a third mortgage on the homestead.

On the flip side of that same coin, I have had to use heavier springs in semiautos as well so the gun won't batter itself to death. I have a particular turkish import semiauto that the bolt was hitting the back of the inside of the receiver so hard that it was displacing some of the aluminum where the back of the firing pin was hitting it so hard straight out of the box because the spring was far too weak and soft.

So, just a little note to self, there are times when the owner can work on a gun to make it shoot better for what/how they shoot without making any huge changes to the gun. Like, enlarging the gas port holes being one example if it won't shoot low brass shells well being another example. Then you run the risk of being over-gassed when shooting high brass.

But, swapping a spring shouldn't be too much of a chore. No harder really than taking it apart and cleaning it sometimes.

Just thought I'd mention it to you.

I'm hoping I'll be OK in 20Ga. A couple years ago I had a nice FN-SLP in 12ga and had to give it up. Have had shoulder issues/surgeries and I flat couldn't do it. It was semi-auto so those reduced recoil loads weren't an option. Sense the Shockwave isn't actually shouldered I'm hopeful, guess I'll know soon enough.

The Shockwave is a totally different concept which pushes the recoil forces down your forearm plus is mitigated by the push/pull relationship of your two grip hands.

With practice you can shoot the Shockwave effectively "from the hip" or "aimed" like to aim a regular shoulder fired gun. There are a number of youtube videos on the Shockwave which may help demonstrate what I just said. In fact, some folks have actually mastered it to shoot clays.

There's many different shells available to match with your needs. Some fire the new mini shells while other of us, because of our enviroment, only run 00 Buck and slugs.
The Shockwave is a good HD or woods hiking/work choice in my opinion.

After a few boxes of shells you'll be an old pro!

Good luck and regards

Welcome to MO from North of the 49th!

Thank you for the welcome everyone.

There's a great group of guys here.

And you'll find that you can discuss other make/models of guns without fear of breaking some secret rule too. We're gun guys here. Talk about any gun you'd like.

Among many other things. :)

Back