• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Brand New 590a1 and cycling problems

DTL

I just picked up a brand new 590a1 (51663) today. When I got it home I checked to see how it would cycle with a full magazine. The left action bar is failing to move the cartridge stop out of the way resulting in no round fed onto the elevator. I also noticed that the action bar either stops at the point where it meets the cartidge stop or travels slightly behind it (it should end up pushed in front of it). Either way I have a non functioning/reliable gun and I am pissed. Has anyone had a similar experince and if so how did Mossberg resolve the issue? I certainly hope they don't expect me to pay the shipping if the firearm needs to go to them for repair.

That's the same model Sniper and I have...never a problem on my end.

Glad you identified and fixed the problem...

Mine has been doing same lately. It works perfectly fine on 00 buck Rio Royal shells, but when using anything else. It jams up.
The cartridge stop fails and it doesn't feed the next shell. Someone had mentioned about taking the cartridge stop out and to bend it flat.
Has anyone just bought a new cartridge stop through Brownells or anything? I would like to think the new ones on the market would been correct due to faulty production. Any thoughts. Thanks.

That's too bad. You'd think Mossberg would want to have parts that actually worked correctly instead of the customer to come up with a work around.
So by bending worked? Just so I understand the fixing process, I'd want to bend it out towards to the edge of the receiver so that it would lay flush/flat against the inside portion of the receiver?

Not flush. It does need to stick out. But not as far as the crappy QC allows.

Bend it a little bit, install, cycle. Still an issue.... Repeat until it cycles reliably.

Thanks for the pic. Huge help. So the "ramp" portion of the cartridge stop should reach out just enough to block the shells from coming out when cycling.
What about the long / ski portion. Hope you don't mind but I borrowed your pic.
I think the ski portion (red circled portion -2) doesn't lay flat, it should right?

upload_2015-8-30_11-8-2.png

#2 section isn't really that much of a concern. It's the tab on section 1 that should interest everyone the most. The bar should stick out to block the round. But the bar should also be bent in enough so the action bar contacts the tab and makes the tab flush with the receiver when you pump the action all the way to the rear.

You have TWO mechanisms working TWO different responsibilities: Cartridge Stop (usual problem component) and the Cartridge Interrupter.

Cartridge Stop - stops all the rounds in the magazine tube from leaving the tube when you are locked and loaded.

Once you fire the action releases and you pump the forend to the rear... this contacts with the cartridge stop and moves it out of the way which then allows the round in the magazine tube to spring out and into the elevator.

During this process the action bar also releases the cartridge interrupter... this stops the remaining rounds from ejecting from the magazine tube when the cartridge stop has been deactivated.

I did write to Mossberg asking for new cartridge stop and cartridge interrupter and I was surprised what was sent.
The new cartridge stop is different from what was originally in the gun. The new has a little bump in it.
The bump is machined and not a factory default. I haven't tried out the gun yet, but I anxious to see what happens.
I fires excellent with 00 buck Rio Royal low recoil, but noticed the problem when firing #7 birdshot.
Hopefully this new one solves the "binding" issue. You'd think 12 gauge shotgun would shot all 12 gauge shells.
In the pictures, the new factory cartridge stop w/ circular bump is on the left, and my existing cartridge stop (came with gun when bought) is on the right. Has anyone else seen this on a mossy 590a1 cart. stop?
I'll keep you all posted. Cross your fingers.

moss-1.jpg moss-2.jpg

I guess better late then never on a status report. The new parts from Mossberg have so far worked with the cartridge interuptor / stop issue for cycling.
So far, so good.

After 300 shots with slugs started having same problem. Fortunately as an Mechanical engineer started thinking how the circle is working an noticed the issue with the cartridge interrupter. I imagined a small trick with the bend of the interrupter would solve the problem but I said what the f**k its a brand new shotgun. Mossberg should replace it immediately. Therefore i took it to the store that i bought it. They knew the problem from a previous sale. They insisted it for sending the gun to the authorized distributor (I am in Greece) to be serviced and checked. However in Greece its illegal to send by post weapons even for service to gunsmith. Here in Greece its very "sensitive" to be a weapon owner and Ministry of Law have messed up with laws and Law enforcement officers do not now even the laws. (hopefully one day this will be changed). Therefore they replaced the interrupter. Again had circle problems then just awhile ago I got pissed off and bend it slightly and voilà. everything is smooth like a charm:chaingun::chaingun::chaingun:.

Back