• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bug-out Vehicles (BOV's)

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
The perfect BOV ... does it exist? Personally, I think I currently own a vehicle that's pretty close. I'm not sure there's truly a "perfect" vehicle. Everything is a trade-off. However, in the interest of discussion, here are my criteria:

1. Economical - both in terms of acquisition cost and operational cost (cheap to buy and cheap to run)
2. Durable - I don't want to be fixing this thing by the side of the road while trying to get to my BOL
3. Capable - assuming that it may be necessary to use back roads or trails to get around traffic jams, four wheel drive is a minimum
4. Capacity - it needs to be able to haul all my bug-out supplies and my family
5. Fuel and Parts Readily Available - while Mercedes Unimogs are cool, have you ever tried to find lugnuts for one at your local auto parts store?

Based on those five criteria, would anyone like to guess what my primary BOV is? How about additional criteria that I've missed?

Interesting topic, so I will join in. My BOV is a 23' Winnebago class A 1989 with a 454 chevy. It is modified to sleep 7 comfortably and is self contained. It usually travels pulling either a land rover or chevy tracker (both are 4x4). The pulled vehicles are used as a trailer to carry fuel, water, and extra supplies. When not is use, the BOV lives in my driveway to be used as a man cave, study room, guest room, or to get away from the nagging wife. The 454 is a powerful enough motor and the parts are plentiful, and readily available. The BOV is a simple vehicle (no computers to worry about EMP). I can do most repairs on the unit myself (body and motor). Most importantly, it is paid for. :D

I am guessing a Bronco, older but not too old because those are too small since you mentioned hauling all your stuff.

I have access to a couple surplus jeep trailers so you could be using a Jeep with a good off road trailer......hard to tell.

Since I am in a spot I don’t plan to leave, 100 mile or so radius I consider my back yard, I just have to get around locally. Eventually I will fall back on our family horses after my Suzuki Samurai wears out unless I do something to my Titan it doesn’t have the required ground clearance to go most places off pavement here the way it sits now...maybe the horses can pull the samurai since it rides like a buckboard anyway lol.
We also have a side by side 6x6 Polaris and a few quads in my family that would get used heavily. Fuel will be the big problem so the horses will come in handy if ever needed ….hope not

J.L., your Winnebago doesn't constantly blow radiator hoses does it? (Walking Dead reference.) :lol:

oli, nope, not a Bronco. Although, we do have an actual buckboard if fuel was absolutely unavailable. :D

I dont currently have what I would consider to be the cost of entry.

A vehicle I really liked was my 4Runner, but there were some weird things, that if needed repairing, would really suck due to the DOHC and timing belt routed around the water pump pulley. Having to adjust the timing cuz of a water pump repair, could turn an otherwise capable vehicle into a boat anchor.

I think youre right on with requirements, I share the same views. Modern electronics mess up alot of things, so I would think a slightly older vehicle would be in order. I'd like to have a K Blazer or Full Size Jeep again, but keeping fuel in them is the problem there.

I would look for something with factory ground clearance. So we're talkin Jeeps and things of that ilk. Maybe a Land Rover, but thats expensive and again parts arent easily found.

I would have to default to something bigger and a little older again. Maybe a chevy Tahoe or suburban, or a ford Excursion or Expedition, cadillac Escalade, Dodge Durango, Hummer... These all suck fuel.

I wonder if the older Toyota Land Cruisers would be any better?

Man, I dont know of a perfect vehicle either! Everything is a trade off for something else... Biggest thing I see, something that is capable with 4 wd and will haul my family, is gonna eat fuel, like alot.

Mudd: I saw that episode too. After seeing it, the next day I replaced all hoses and belts on the Winnebago juuuust in case. I also carry extras juuuuust in case. There is no such thing as being too prepared. I have also installed redundant systems on the BOV. The cabin batteries are charged using solar, vehicle's alternator, and the generator. The water heater is now able to heat water using propane, electric, or the heat from the motor. I am currently looking for a way to expand the range of the BOV. (currently at approx. 405 miles per tank ) :)

I have to choose, But I guess it depends on when and how it goes down.
I have an old FJ40 with a small block Chevy that I use quite a bit, I built a trailer for it that can store all my crap, It has a roof top tent for two, Its a stand alone camp trailer if needed.

5159699551_e6685e8b93_z.jpg

I also have an FZJ80 Land Cruiser that seats 5 and can sleep 7, I built a box in the back that folds out to a 3 person bed when the middle row seats are folded, It also has a roof top tent that sleeps 4, It also has enough room to carry quite a bit of crap.

5440062919_8fa9dcef02_z.jpg

Both are set up with HAM and CB radios.
Its all I got...

Those are two of the most awesome vehicles in the world (in my opinion). Post more pics if you can please.

Hmmm ... no mention of diesels? Diesel stores longer than gasoline. Diesel vehicles tend to be more fuel efficient than comparable gassers. Diesel fuel is available in fairly large quantities on the majority of farms. You can run heating oil if you have to - it's basically just diesel fuel with a different color die in it. If you really got industrious, you could make bio-diesel. :D

My opinion of bugging out, based on my terrain and area, consists of ATV's and/or possibly a small 4WD SUV like a fairly newer bronco or blazer or jeep with a short turning radius, wide wheel base, good clearance and off road tires, adequate winch and snatch blocks and a chainsaw.

I dont' plan on going far.

Here's a pic of my Bear. As Han Solo once described the Millenium Falcon, "It may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts".

atvcarbandcotyprom022.jpg

My wife and I laid out what we thought was important in an Urban Escape Vehicle. We live smack in the middle of urban Los Angeles sprawl, so we came up with the following:

1: mild offroad capabilities. 4X4, some clearance, but we're not crossing too many deep rivers or going rock climbing
2: be able to push another car off the road. Streets will be blocked with abandoned cars
3: able to carry at least 4 people, plus supplies. We may need to pick up some family members or something
4: able to run on fuel other then gas/diesel
5: it wouldn't hurt if it were bullet resistant (this is los angeles, after all)

Our thinking is, get a diesel Excursion, lift it slightly, box the frame, install one of those grease-burning systems for a backup fuel source (I figure i can always burn motor oil in that if need be), and perhaps take it to an armored limo maker to have some lower end armor installed in it. (I don't think we'll be attacked by any international spy/ninja teams, but we might get caught in a crossfire between gangs or something).

Although, that's a pretty expensive plan... so for now it's just a stock Bronco in the driveway.

I like the ideas mentioned regarding diesel. I had thought about deisel, but not to the degreee you mentioned, Mud.

For the record, our BOV is a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. It comfortably seats five adults, has a 6.25 foot bed for supplies and gets 23+ MPG on the highway. I can pull a gooseneck or bumper-pull trailer full of supplies if necessary.

damn i was gonna guess square body chevy! run forever, cheap and plentiful as are the parts, can find them in diesel...as of now my BOV would be my tahoe but ideally i want an fj-40 one of these days if i can ever find a sweet deal on one

perfect vehicle? prolly not. Unless someone is making a hybrid diesel electric, amphibious, rock crawler that has atleast 40,000 pound towing capacity.

any 4x4 vehicle that is reliable will do the job.

a inline 6 jeep wrangler is the vehicle of choice for me, i would love a diesel jeep wrangler though...i just sold my 05 LJ that was modded to the 9s but will be building another one shortly.

DHonovich said:
a inline 6 jeep wrangler is the vehicle of choice for me, i would love a diesel jeep wrangler though...i just sold my 05 LJ that was modded to the 9s but will be building another one shortly.
Jeep is a good reliable ride. Good for one or two people, three if you dont have much gear to go along too.
I find them to be a bit twitchy on some terrains.

Standard TJ are twitchy for sure but the extended LJ (04-06) are 10" with the wheel base which makes a world of a difference. Still not very roomie but with the back seats out there is a ton of room for stuff.

Back