• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Building a Game Cart

Gary Murray

.270 WIN
I am getting ready to build a game cart as there is an area i hunt that is motor vehicle restricted. Sure i could pay the money and buy one but i always look at how often i will use it when i fork out any kind of money for something. I snagged up a busted wheel chair for a $1.00 at a special needs yard sale and the wheels on it are the only part i'm interested in. I'm a licensed welder so i could probably easily weld the frame or i could make a box and attach the wheels with a handle. If any of you have made something like this then please post your pics so i can maybe get some ideas from you or even give me some tips.

I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with too. I was planning on getting a Gorilla Cart because of the weight carrying capacity. I can find them used occasionally for about $80.00 around here. But I live in a Codo and have too much stuff already. Plus where I hunt is usually mountainous, no vehicles allowed etc. Just not sure how much use I would get out of it. But I am looking for a way to pack out a deer without having to debone it in the field.

I did a search on "home made game carts and came up with this link. There are tons out there for ideas though. Good luck. Have a great day.

http://www.cthuntingnshooting.com/vBfor ... -Game-Cart

Paul

Thanx Raven. There's only one area here that i am interested in where you can't drive and i will only hunt in there in the late season a few times or maybe if i get my September sheep draw. It's a steep, hour walk uphill to get to where i want to hunt in there and i want something to pack a small camp in and everything out including an animal.

Let me just add, that if you are going uphill & you'll be coming down it...look into adding a brake system. The pics that are on that forum have none....

A lot of folks here, if they can't get an ATV or something to the animal, will often have a little snow sled handy so they can just drag it along behind them from a rope

It just doesn't go over big stumps or logs or rocks too well but overall works pretty good in most places.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=3436432

Make sure you use some kind of spoke covers. I found most carts to be frustrating to use because stuff keeps getting stuck in the wheels.

I typically use a kids sled or jet sled to haul stuff back and forth if I can't get to it with my quad. But, I don't hunt too far from a road, I typically don't have to pack stuff in too far.

John A. said:
A lot of folks here, if they can't get an ATV or something to the animal, will often have a little snow sled handy so they can just drag it along behind them from a rope

It just doesn't go over big stumps or logs or rocks too well but overall works pretty good in most places.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=3436432
I use a sled too John. This area i want to hunt that is vehicle restricted is a steep uphill walk for about an hour. I need something to pack in a small camp such as tent, sleeping bag food etc and then the walk out with hopefully an animal. If any guys here have had the pleasure dragging a deer by hoof or horn, you gotta get yourself a sled. It is so much easier over grass, mud, gravel etc. You don't need to purchase a Cabelas or other sporting outlet model that costs big bucks. Mine cost $17.00. It's a kids sled that is 6ft long. I drilled a few holes down the sides and ran rope. I'll post a pic.
2007-10-18_161732_sled_001.jpg

MikeD said:
Make sure you use some kind of spoke covers. I found most carts to be frustrating to use because stuff keeps getting stuck in the wheels.

I typically use a kids sled or jet sled to haul stuff back and forth if I can't get to it with my quad. But, I don't hunt too far from a road, I typically don't have to pack stuff in too far.
I think for now ill be making it out of wood. Sorta like a box with wheels so the spokes wont be a problem. These are wheel chair wheels i'll be using. When the time comes that i weld up a frame, i will give extra detail to the wheel area to avoid that problem. These wheels should be strong enough for a great deal of weight within reason. One of the issues i've heard with the store bought carts is that they usually end up blowing a wheel.

For stuff like this, if you use inflatables, Green Slime is your friend!

I can't wait to see what you come up with. I was checking out some of the links and there are some cool builds out there.

I love DIY stuff like this.

Would it be possible to use pvc? It might be lighter weight than wood.

I had a neighbor that tried to build a car port out of PVC one time trying to save a few bucks.

I'll just say it didn't end too well.

And I personally wouldn't use an inflatable either. Not in my area. To many briars and thorns and sticks and things. Even with slime, would be a disaster waiting to happen.

What i like about the wheelchair wheels is i push a button in the center of the wheel and the wheels come off. Now i'm thinking for when there's snow i could maybe rig something up where i can replace the wheels with detachable skis. I better slow down before i start thinking about putting an outboard on it too haha.

I wouldn't attempt PVC pipe. Plus if the plastic pipe bends any where from strain then it's bent. You wont be able to bend it back.

Just about got my cart completed and then i'll post some pics. Just working out some of the kinks. It's not that heavy. I used 1 inch board for the floor and that's the thickest part of the body. Besides i have no plans on loading up to the rim for where i walk. Just the bare necessities and hopefully a deer for my walk out.

How long are you making the handles? Far enough so you dont hit the cart with your feet ?

ripjack13 said:
How long are you making the handles? Far enough so you dont hit the cart with your feet ?
You betcha RJ. I actually thought about that before i built it. I already made the handles and wheeled it around my yard and didn't connect with my heels. Someone brought up a braking system for it here and that's going to be something that may or may not be tricky unless someone can give me a simpleton idea. This box is only a temp until i can build one out of frame. I work Mon - Fri and i have access to all the welding equipment i need. However, the maintenance dept works Tue - Sat so it's a case of using the welder without interfering with the maintenance dept when they are using it.

Brakes would be me....I was thinking.....if you made the system so you need to hold the handle to be off and when you let go the brakes engage.....j.i.c. it slips out of your hands down hill...look into a rotor brake system t
...then it will be easier to mount....

Finished Game Cart

Other than a coat of paint it's pretty much done. Eventually i will break it down and make one out of light steel. I added legs at the front and back to keep it stable and a small board across the rear for a camp stove. It's not that heavy and it's only for the bare essentials that i will need when i walk in to an area that doesn't allow motorized vehicles for hunting.
DSC06559.jpg

Back