• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

BUIS: Back-Up Iron Sights

Yeah, like I said, their aluminum stuff has always been good, but this was not something that I would consider (continue) using.

Ok...so the ARMS 71 set is out as far as choices go I am on a budget and can't really afford to waste money on junk the search continues! Thanks for the mini review John!

are you going with optic ? I have been seeing good deals on Troy fixed and the Palmetto metal flip ups. No exp with the Palmetto or the Troy but I bet the Troy fixed are a sure good thing.
BUIS are spendy , seems like the less bang for the buck out of all the rifle parts considering there isn't a lot of material but the machining is very precise to be as solid as they are and being able to fold, not easy to do that tight of a tolerance and have it move

I drink the Magpul koolaid so getting that out there so far so good. Since the rest of my latest toy had Magpul all over it why not keep the theme going. The previous AR I owned had the Matech rear sight that is standard GI issue.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-m16-m4-usgi-backup-iron-sight-prod26575.aspx

For what it is that is a pretty damn good flip sight for the rear in concert with a typical A2 fixed front sight post. They are not cheap though but IMO well worth it. If I were to spend money again on a rear sight I'd probably get another one of those again. Not alot of folks seem to consider them and I've never understood why. The Troy, ARMS etc... all seem to be all the rage. I guess one day I might reconsider if I've had some trigger time behind them.

Oli is spot on. BUIS are spendy but when the poop fits the fan and an optic has failed due to a cracked lens or a spent battery irons almost always work no matter what. Worth every bit of coin you spend on them. While I love the red dot concept on a carbine fighting gun you absolutely must master using irons before you get that red dot. If that dot goes south you will be glad you did.

When I finished up this latest one I took it to the range irons only. Ok the rear Magpul's polymer but you get the point. Once I had it dialed in only then did I consider adding a red dot.

YMMV as usual.

You are absolutely correct.

Matter of fact, I always use at least the front sight in conjunction with a red dot and sit the dot on the tip top of the front post and this has always worked well for me since red dots and back up sights first came into being. I hardly ever use a rear sight at the same time as the optic (and front) because the sight picture can become crowded and busy, but as you said, if the optic poops out, the rear iron is there, ready,willing, and able.

Anyone who doesn't learn how to use a weapons' iron sights are doing themselves a huge disservice.

just ordered a KNS sight post set from brownells earlier actually, going to try a couple of the ball tipped front sight posts an see if i can get some decent accuracy. as much as i love optics for precision shooting, its good to know theres a No-Fail option

I decided to try the Magpul front sight since the Magpul rear that came with one of my rifles has always worked perfectly. I'm not sure if mine is a fluke but the release flexes a lot. So much that about half the time the opposite side of the release doesn't completely disengage from the flip up sight. And it gets worse when it gets warm (like every time I shoot it).

Full travel on the left half of the release and it's disengaged (sight post should be up).
se7e3any.jpg

But the other side of the release is still engaged.
hetuveda.jpg

The quick release is cool but I can live without it. I'm looking for metal alternatives now though. Very accurate and easy to adjust sight but I need to wrap my thumb all the way to the top of the release to deploy it because my lever doesn't work sometimes. I'll probably just cut down the right half of the release for the time being.

you may have been the first person ever to give an honest review of those lame sights , .....they aren't the fakes from Ebay are they ?

if it was winter they would probably work better as the plastic stiffens in the cold

I had reservations about it and I should've listened to them. At least it was only a $37 mistake. It is definitely an MOE sight and not a knock-off. Purchased from a respectable armorer in Englewood Colorado (not online).

yeah....bummer. I don't even have mine on right now. I know its good to have a back up but my scope mount isn't quick release , although the Torx is always in my bag and it wouldn't take to long to get it off. The scope is burly and the reticle is laser etched in the glass so its pretty bomb proof. I'll put them back on though unless somehow the rear doesn't fit anymore or the front gets in my field of view, definitely wont be working like they did with the red dot, the scope must come off to use them, but I feel the scope is a ton more reliable, don't even need a battery

Back