• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Burnt Bronze Cerakote on a 590 Shockwave

DarkPassenger308

.270 WIN
Supporter
This is my newest Shockwave. There are many like it (so many!), but this one is mine.

I really like the looks of the two-toned receiver. I was originally going to go with high-viz green on the receiver and high-viz orange for the barrel and mag tube. I wanted it to be easy to find if I dropped it in the snow or underbrush. I backed off on that and went with burnt bronze because it looks cooler. As we all know: Looking cool is important.

The Cerakote isn't normally as reflective as it looks in these photos. Especially the black. The sheen is due to a liberal coating of oil I applied during re-assembly. It's going to get rained on, at the very least, and it's always possible for my clumsy butt to trip and fall into a river while I'm fishing. Thus the oil on top of the Cerakote, on top of the factory parkerizing.

Only thing left to do is install the Big Dot. I put the larger brass bead on it yesterday, but ran out of time for the rest of it.
HOsbKkU.jpg

5ew9mmj.jpg

OrTNDvE.jpg

SsyoG2D.jpg

Last edited:
I bought it almost 2 months ago via Gunbroker for $369. I see the prices have finally started coming down to sane amounts. I'm seeing a few on GB today in the $340's.

My local Cerakoter is also my FFL. He charged $200 for the coating. I had it shipped directly to him from the auction, since he was handling the FFL, which meant that he had to disassemble it himself before coating. So that added a bit of time and additional cost to this specific Cerakote job.

http://spartafirearms.com/
https://www.facebook.com/spartafirearms

I had him coat my old Mossy ATP-8 earlier this year and it turned out great. If anyone else lives in the Puget Sound region, he's worth looking into. Retail sales, FFL transfers and Cerakote all under 1 roof.

Ive always liked the burnt bronze. But youve got me wanting to see one hi viz green and orange now.View attachment 16084

Oooh. That's a good one. I seriously considered that for my Esee-4, too. Ultimately, vanity prevailed. I wanted a subtle-looking knife, and for both guns to look cool. I settled for a high-viz orange PVC storage tube (similar to the Mossberg Just-In-Case design).

One of these looks like something Al Capone would use. The other has a Tony Montana vibe to it.

I was just reading up on tritium vials in gun sights. Apparently they have an operating temp limit of -40F. They die quick deaths when they get cooled to -30 or colder. I just JBWelded the Big Dot onto the barrel this morning. I guess I'll find out next spring if the Big Dot survives the upcoming Alaska winter. If it doesn't, then I'll just use it as a white dot and live with it. I'm not keen on wandering around the cold, dark, snowy Alaska woods anyway. But it's nice to have the capability since it's permanently dark up there during the winter.

ttszxlz.jpg

It definitely looks cool. I like it. Did you use the basic Cerakote or the heated finish? I have been looking hard at this product. I'm concerned if the Big Dot can be heated in the H series Cerakote process. You are going to enjoy going to Alaska and walk into your cabin and see your "little friend" there to greet you. I reckon you are about ready to leave....?

while it wouldnt be an issue in my life, the concept of a gun that is covered in the same colors as a toy gun, concerns me a bit. While I know we are all responsible adults, it makes it way too easy for a child, or teen ager, or less responsible adult, to have a lapse of judgement.

Maybe just toss a blaze orange magpul forend on it? And paint or coat the raptor grip orange? The other issue here, is that i believe in law enforcement roles, this generally means non lethal or less lethal.

I just dont like doing things that are contrary to other established rules or norms or practices, if that makes sense

It definitely looks cool. I like it. Did you use the basic Cerakote or the heated finish? I have been looking hard at this product. I'm concerned if the Big Dot can be heated in the H series Cerakote process. You are going to enjoy going to Alaska and walk into your cabin and see your "little friend" there to greet you. I reckon you are about ready to leave....?

This gun has the baked finish. I didn't have him coat any plastics, so no need to use the basic. I installed the Big Dot after the Cerakote, so I didn't have to worry about heat. I don't know the exact temps, but I don't believe the Cerakote H series requires a terribly high temp to cure. I think it was in sub-300 degree range. XS uses Trijicon brand tritium inserts in their sights. Those little glass vials are melted shut on both sides. They can withstand much higher temps without breaking. Not sure about the XS housing, though. Their adhesive might give out at lower temps and the tritium vial might become loose from the sight. Probably worth sending an email to the company. Your local Cerakoter might have an answer, too.

while it wouldnt be an issue in my life, the concept of a gun that is covered in the same colors as a toy gun, concerns me a bit. While I know we are all responsible adults, it makes it way too easy for a child, or teen ager, or less responsible adult, to have a lapse of judgement.

Maybe just toss a blaze orange magpul forend on it? And paint or coat the raptor grip orange? The other issue here, is that i believe in law enforcement roles, this generally means non lethal or less lethal.

I just dont like doing things that are contrary to other established rules or norms or practices, if that makes sense

Didn't one of the states just pass a law about painted guns? Or at least try to? It was an attempt to criminalize exactly what you just described. You could make a real gun look like a squirt gun, etc. And, yes, you're correct about the LE dedicated less-lethal beanbag shooter. It's typically dressed in a high-viz buttstock and forend so a cop doesn't accidentally mistake a beanbag shotgun with a live round shotgun. There's a very valid argument to be made when considering toys vs firearms in high-population areas.

This particular gun of mine is going to be stored in a cabin that's 200 miles from the nearest road. Not much chance of someone stumbling upon it that doesn't know about firearms. And if they happen to find my cabin, chances are they're a lost hunter that's in dire need of shelter, food, water, etc. Thus my PVC storage tube above the door with the stencil "12GA shotgun" on it. If someone needs my cabin and/or supplies to save their own life, then I expect them to use it. I also expect them to leave a note with an IOU. Haha.

And if they happen to find my cabin, chances are they're a lost hunter that's in dire need of shelter, food, water, etc. Thus my PVC storage tube above the door with the stencil "12GA shotgun" on it. If someone needs my cabin and/or supplies to save their own life, then I expect them to use it. I also expect them to leave a note with an IOU. Haha.

It's odd that the further we get away from "civilization", the more civilized we become.

Yes i would agree in some areas of operation a purple blue green raspberry pink etc... Firearm would not be appropriate. In my paticular ao its irrelevant. I would also agree it would certainly be a lapse in judgement for someone not invited or authorized by me to fondle my possessions it would definetly be dangerous iregarddless of the color of the item they irresponsibly attempted to access. Painting a gun blue and having random access to it would be bad idea actually its probably bad idea even if its evil black. So i agree i dont want other people painting guns non conformist colors. As for mine well il probably do as i feel moved. I guess what im saying is dont lose control of your deadly weapons and dont use them in inappropriate fashion irregardless of what color they may be.
Ps Dark308 your shottys are pretty dang cool. Kudos

Did you feel any difference in cycling rounds after the Cerakote?

I never handled it, nor took FFL possession of it until after it was Cerakoted. The action is noticeably smoother than my wooden one, though! It feels great. I had every component coated, including all bolt internals except springs. Not sure if the gun feels smoother because of that, or if it just happens to be a smoother gun from the factory. No way of knowing, since I never handled it prior to coating.

$200 for a cerakote ain't nothing to sneeze at. It brought this gun up into the $600 price range after shipping. But my hope is that it's another layer of protection to rely on it in an extremely harsh environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, with as good as you've been working on these shockwaves, you could do cerakote.

I did that type of work for about a decade when I had my FFL's. It isn't real hard. The hard thing is taking everything apart and getting it back together all in working order ;)

A decent airbrush and an air tank/pump. Oven. You'll do fine. If I still had my FFL's, I would only charge you about $50 to do that, and most of that would be just to cover the cost of materials.

Back