• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cam pics

That was a good shot DJ.

When I bought my Savage .223 varminter I could have bought an almost identical gun in .22 Mag for about the same price. Fancy laminated stock fluted bull barrel . . . a very nice gun. I had some .22 mag ammunition stashed away but at the time you could not buy the stuff for love nor money in California.

But basically I chose the .223 because I can reload them. I think the 22 mag is almost as much fun to shoot.

Great job on the hog.

From looking at the trail camera pictures of it, I knew it was just a matter of time before you crossed paths with it.

Great shot placement too.

When I was growing up, we'd use a 22 when it came time to slaughter the hogs in the fall. I can never remember a time needing a followup shot. One to the noggin between the eyes are around the ears generally did it.

I had to do a double take on this one. :laugh:

6d4SCLy.jpg

What a great picture ! Ive only seen one buck since January on cameras. Im jeolous. Thanks for sharing that.

This picture stood out to me because at first glance it looked like a 2 headed deer LOL

We have around a dozen deer hanging out up there right now ranging from those that still have their spots to these young bucks, and the oldest couple of generation of bucks are bruisers for sure. There's a 10 pointer, and an 8 and a 6.

And we've worked really hard to manage the property well. It doesn't just happen, and it doesn't just happen overnight. It's been a labor of love for YEARS.

Now of course you know that here in a few weeks when bow season comes in, there won't be any.;)

I just noticed, the date on my camera is a day ahead. I need to fix that when I go up there and change my memory cards.

WT5CMek.jpg

yGQVoQP.jpg

ZlzWSWV.jpg

GdpPKYt.jpg

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the numbers on several animals have nearly all but disappeared in the last few years.

I rarely see turkeys up there anymore. Haven't seen an elk in 2 years.

It really bothers me bad.

We are covered up with turkeys. What i miss are the wild quaii. When i was a kid you couldn't walk too far without busting a covey now thats pretty rare. Bird hunting with a good dog would have to be my favorite hunting.

It was like that with Grouse here. Now, they're nearly extinct here. :(

I saw a grouse up on the property for a couple of weeks earlier in the spring down in the curve near where my target stands are. Needless to say, I dared anyone to even look at it cross-eyed.

We never had many pheasants. We do still have a lot of quail though fortunately, but no one hardly ever hunts them here. Matter of fact, I slowed down coming into my driveway a few days ago because two of them were in my way and weren't moving out in front of my car.

Since they cut back on the allowable hunting areas the quail have proliferated around here and so have the doves.

Of course we are in one of the no hunting areas.

There's a big Wetlands out west of here, however, and I hear it's very popular to go duck hunting & goose hunting.

But I gave all that stuff up after I moved out of the Rocky Mountains.

Heres an interesting turn of events. The area this paticular cam is in weve had sounder of hogs really tearing it up nightly. 8 days ago shot dominate sow next day my buddy shot what we think was dominate boar. Tuesday we caught two in the trap near there. Then nothing nada zip no more hogs on cam the remainder seem to have moved on. Magically after 2 mpnths on this spot never seeing a single deer we have deer stopping by. Very cool PICT0008 (2).JPG

It's like that with bear here.

I got a picture of a momma bear and 3 cubs yesterday unfortunately.

jHRQaDu.jpg

That means, if they all survive the winter, that will be at least 9 bears up there that'll be in the year old range, not counting all the momma bears, poppa bears, and grandparent bears.

We're ate up with them.

Glad you got rid of the wild hog problem in the immediate area. From what I hear, that's no easy task to achieve.

Love the bear pic very cool. Doesnt sound like you want anymore though.
As for hogs it never ending cycle i dont believe they will ever be under control to much area and especially to much sanctuary area they can move to with relative impunity. But it is cool seeing deer show up when hogs gone

No, I don't want them around.

They're good for nothing.

Destructive.

Territorial and scare off the deer.

Seems like every year I go through this right before deer season starts and it gets worse every year.

I wouldn't care if they all fell over dead right now.

Do the powers that be allow you to hunt to keep in check. Or are they just having them proliferate unabated.

I went with ex wife to canada on two bear hunts as an observer i spent my time fishing. The bear hunt didn't really interest me but she was infatuated with it. Her first was with rifle and following year with crossbow i know they hunted hard i just wasnt into it. I know some really like it.

No, I don't want them around.

They're good for nothing.

Destructive.

Territorial and scare off the deer.

Seems like every year I go through this right before deer season starts and it gets worse every year.

I wouldn't care if they all fell over dead right now.

This lady is a friend of my family. Lots of ugly details left out of the news article. The bear sat on her and would not let her family near her for almost 30 minutes. No one around with a firearm, so they just tried whatever they could think of to scare the bear off. The bear was literally sitting on her legs as she was bleeding to death.

See a grizzly in Alaska? Mind your manners and you'll both likely go about your separate ways. See a black bear in the lower 48? There's a good chance either the bear or the human is going to bleed to death.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jul/04/reported-bear-attack-forces-closure-of-priest-lake/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they just having them proliferate unabated.

Pretty much this.

The state wants them for tourism (hopes).

There is a short one weekend bear hunt.

The weekend before Christmas usually when they're almost certainly going to be denning up while it's cold(er). They pretty much allowed that just to throw people a bone, get the $50 tag fee's, all the while appeasing the animal rights groups.

Oh, and they just started allowing a hound hunt.

But you're only allowed to run them and not kill them. :brick:

This lady is a friend of my family. Lots of ugly details left out of the news article. The bear sat on her and would not let her family near her for almost 30 minutes. No one around with a firearm, so they just tried whatever they could think of to scare the bear off. The bear was literally sitting on her legs as she was bleeding to death.

Yeah, a lot of people think a black bear are cowardly and will always run off. They will run off sometimes. And sometimes they'll charge you. And some bears are a lot meaner than others. I had one stand up and charge me while I was in my own yard once.

But the truth is, more people are attacked (or attacked and killed) by Black Bears than grizzly. That's a true fact if you want to do the research on it.

Like I said, I hate them.

Our weather broke some yesterday eve after just being miserable hot and high humidity for a long while. Caught first hog ive seen in daylight hours on cam in a long time. Come on fall weather i know summer far from over here but it was nice break. Funny thing i was having coffee on porch at 6 this morning thinking about going to check some cams and walk around some i pittled around till 830 before i went. 20170826_091554439.jpg

Back