• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Canada’s Senate Passes 2nd Reading of Bill C-71

Just a quick update here....

Passed 3rd reading in the Senate but all the nonsense proposed amendments were gutted by Conservative and abstaining “independent” senators and it passed in its original form. Which still isn’t good at all. Unfortunately there aren’t enough conservatives in the senate to kill the bill entirely.

So now it’s as good as law. Libs are still talking a handgun and “assault style weapons” ban by an Order in Council. We’ll see if Mr. Fancysocks thinks he has enough support to whip that one out just before an election. Or if he’ll use it as part of his election platform.

Bill C-71 immediately criminalizes thousands of gun owners who own legally purchased CZ858’s and Swiss Arms rifles by changing their classification from non-restricted firearms to prohibited...if they refuse to register. If they register, they’ll be grandfathered. So essentially the gov’t will delay confiscation until death. Oh and your firearm is now useless...can’t do anything with it except polish it.

Official Opposition and Conservative Party Leader Andrew Scheer has vowed to repeal bill C-71 immediately if elected.

Im hoping we can get him to do better than that. But it’s a start.

The government still haven't implemented this legislation yet as we're leading up to an election in October...they're too busy trying to baffle people with bullsh*t and when that fails they will buy attempt to buy votes with my taxes.....

However, it seems they've backed right off the idea of an outright ban on handguns. The Canadian Association of Police Chiefs just released a statement recently saying that a handgun ban was "naive" and redundant where there are already laws on the books dealing with firearm offenses...duh!!

Below are a few quotes from the article...link to the whole article at the bottom.

Chief Adam Palmer says "in the majority of cases involving gun violence, the handguns being used are already illegal and it makes no sense to ban something that is already prohibited.
“In every single case there are already offences for that. They’re already breaking the law and the criminal law in Canada addresses all of those circumstances,” Palmer said Wednesday at the conclusion of the association’s annual conference.
“The firearms laws in Canada are actually very good right now. They’re very strict."

“People can’t be naive to the realities of how it works with organized crime and smuggling,” he said.
“There will always be an influx of guns from the United States into Canada,” said Palmer. “Heroin is illegal in Canada, too, but we have heroin in Canada."

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/cana...nada/wcm/65cffb96-8f4e-45f0-9dab-e935005a819d

The government still has not implemented this bill yet. They've been very slow to implement, I think because they are now a minority government and they know the bill is enormously unpopular with many voters. During the run-up to the election they talked up further restrictions like allowing cities to implement handgun bans if they chose and a national ban/buyback scheme for "assault style" rifles...whatever the heck they are...nobody knows of course because it's even more nebulous than saying assault rifle.

Of course, the legislation doesn't exist for such drastic actions as of yet and even though there is a "majority" of left leaning parties in the House, they have alluded to using an "Order in Council" which is basically what you guys down south call an executive order. But, they know gun ownership crosses political party lines and gun buybacks would be extremely expensive. Forced surrender or confiscation would also be extremely unpopular. They have not even commented whether grandfathering would be allowed.

I am suspicious and hopeful that with the billions being spent on Covid-19 and keeping the economy afloat will kill this whole initiative with maybe the exception of implementing the original bill. Which basically amounts to extra paperwork, storage and transport harassment of already law abiding owners. Any more laws are certainly unwelcome but I think this pandemic will take the fire out of some of their worst and most drastic plans...for now.

As of yesterday, the specter of gun bans/buybacks has returned despite billions and billions being spent on Covid-19 relief and stimulus efforts. The reason, the worst mass shooting in our history just happened and the bodies aren't even cold and the media is already howling how much they want the government to enact further measures to restrict our freedoms and confiscate our possessions. :brick:

The government says they had only "temporarily suspended" implementing the C-71 legislation and other gun control monkey shines due to Covid-19...my guess is they were gonna let it die or at least languish a good while, until they figured out how to pay for it. I already sent my first email to my local MP (Member of Parliament) last night.

I'm going to start another thread for the shooting because this is going to be a defining moment for "good" or ill depending on how it all plays out now.

Back