• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Carry Handle Modifications

Re: Cut off the carry handle?

Desert camo will look like this (or as close as someone with NO artistic ability can make it :cool: )

Attachments

• desert camo.jpg
    desert camo.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 2,559

Since this will be used 50yds and in mostly for squirrel/rabbit gun, sometimes in heavy brush, and plinking rats at the dump, stock not required for me.

So you're running a scope without a shoulder stock and instead using forward sling tension? I think that could possibly work using a long eye relief low-powered handgun/scout scope (1.5x ~ 2.5x) with just a little bit of practice for close in shooting. So I think your 3x9 rifle scope will present some challenges with eye relief when your great-looking modded 715T gets into the field or heavy brush, even when cranked down to the minimum 3X (three power magnification)

Honestly, I don't know why anybody wants to hunt squirrel or any other small game at ranges approaching fifty yards. You definitely have got the right idea as far as effective ranges.

You should be okay with what you are trying to accomplish. Might have to go back to the RDS. Good shooting!

nitesite said:
Since this will be used 50yds and in mostly for squirrel/rabbit gun, sometimes in heavy brush, and plinking rats at the dump, stock not required for me.

So you're running a scope without a shoulder stock and instead using forward sling tension? I think that could possibly work using a long eye relief low-powered handgun/scout scope (1.5x ~ 2.5x) with just a little bit of practice for close in shooting. So I think your 3x9 rifle scope will present some challenges with eye relief when your great-looking modded 715T gets into the field or heavy brush, even when cranked down to the minimum 3X (three power magnification)

Honestly, I don't know why anybody wants to hunt squirrel or any other small game at ranges approaching fifty yards. You definitely have got the right idea as far as effective ranges.

You should be okay with what you are trying to accomplish. Might have to go back to the RDS. Good shooting!

Yeah, my scope may not work, so would have to get another RDS instead. Will see how it goes. With no recoil (to speak of) on this, it may work, but won't know until I shoot. Eye relief on this scope is only about 3.5-4 inches because of the 32mm size, so that might not be good. Have another 40mm scope I could try, but it's really too big since I'm trying for small and light.

But another RDS (cheap but fairly well reviewed) may be in my future.

IMAG0760.jpg
IMAG0759.jpg
Cut mine off

OK finally had some time. Here's mine now.

Decided to not do desert camo since I don't live in or near the desert, lol.

Rootbrain

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360611842231.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360611842231.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,216
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360611870657.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360611870657.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,212

[url=http://db.tt/YscAUr7R]http://db.tt/YscAUr7R /url]Step 1. Cut off the carry handle flush and the front sight flush as well. Step 2. Center 2 4" mend plates where carry handle used to be clamp in place make sure everything is centered. Step 3 predrill holes in shell to attach mend plates. Make sure holes are centered. Step tcut 12" rail blank down to 8". Clam. Rail in place centered over mend plates drill pilot hole through rail and plate together to ensure alignment. Last but not least open the holes at the top to allow screws to sit below rail surface
YscAUr7R[IMG]

Attachments

• IMAG0770-1.jpg
    IMAG0770-1.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 1,186

Awesome job Ayarza! Where did you get the mend plates. I tried an amazon search but it only came up with the mend plates for carpentry. I'd love to do this on mine but kinda worried I'll screw it up.

Aactually the handle does add more to the rifle , first obviously an alternative way to carry and the option to use a scope without having to dump th iron sights which can be used for shorter ranges. I can only see removing it for cosmetic reasons , in which I understand . Everyone has their own taste.

rootbrain said:
Yep, I'm happy so far. Dremmel work needs a little "clean up". just sanding and leveling off a it more. But I've always hated that damn carrying handle, LOL. My Colt AR had the removable one, have wanted this off since purchase.

I also cut off the front sight. Going to get folding front sight and rear ghost for when I want to use irons. The strap on the back is connected to the pin/screw that held the adjustable stock (also gone as you see). Arm goes through the loop and the rifle hangs to my strong side. Raise it up, pushing the rifle forward (like leaning back into the strap). I might get a bit longer strap, this one is a bit short for me at 6'1". We all know recoil and muzzle rise are pretty much non-existent with this thing. Since this will be used 50yds and in mostly for squirrel/rabbit gun, sometimes in heavy brush, and plinking rats at the dump, stock not required for me. The RDS will be the key. Mine is a pretty good $60 (something) RDS (Walther PS-22). Works like a charm on other guns, so if dialed in, should be GTG. Certainly NOT going to put a $400+ Aimpoint or EOTech RDS on a $200 gun.

Here it is, the basic. Will continue along, got 3 of the 25 round mags and use the YouTube on getting them "stable". Haven't been to the range today, might have to put that off a few days, busy the next couple and then snow coming for the next couple.

Dude one more cut and you will have the same gun i have. same price too $238. +$200= same price i paid. :roll:

SBRtrouble_zps90986f6a.jpg

MP-1.jpg

BowerR64 said:
rootbrain said:
Yep, I'm happy so far. Dremmel work needs a little "clean up". just sanding and leveling off a it more. But I've always hated that damn carrying handle, LOL. My Colt AR had the removable one, have wanted this off since purchase.

I also cut off the front sight. Going to get folding front sight and rear ghost for when I want to use irons. The strap on the back is connected to the pin/screw that held the adjustable stock (also gone as you see). Arm goes through the loop and the rifle hangs to my strong side. Raise it up, pushing the rifle forward (like leaning back into the strap). I might get a bit longer strap, this one is a bit short for me at 6'1". We all know recoil and muzzle rise are pretty much non-existent with this thing. Since this will be used 50yds and in mostly for squirrel/rabbit gun, sometimes in heavy brush, and plinking rats at the dump, stock not required for me. The RDS will be the key. Mine is a pretty good $60 (something) RDS (Walther PS-22). Works like a charm on other guns, so if dialed in, should be GTG. Certainly NOT going to put a $400+ Aimpoint or EOTech RDS on a $200 gun.

Here it is, the basic. Will continue along, got 3 of the 25 round mags and use the YouTube on getting them "stable". Haven't been to the range today, might have to put that off a few days, busy the next couple and then snow coming for the next couple.

Dude one more cut and you will have the same gun i have. same price too $238. +$200= same price i paid. :roll:

SBRtrouble_zps90986f6a.jpg

MP-1.jpg

For some reason yours looks meaner, lol :cool:

Rootbrain

cutting off the handle and making a flat top?

I just found a mossberg tactical with the handle for 200 dollars CDN used.

The deal is too good to pass up, however, has anybody had an experience converting their carry handle 715 to a flat top? it seems like i could just hacksaw it off and use ABS glue to attach a picatinny rail?

Re: cutting off the handle and making a flat top?

ronaldosanchez said:
I just found a mossberg tactical with the handle for 200 dollars CDN used.

The deal is too good to pass up, however, has anybody had an experience converting their carry handle 715 to a flat top? it seems like i could just hacksaw it off and use ABS glue to attach a picatinny rail?

Read through this topic I merged your post into....

A2 Style carry handle mod

Just got the 715T with the A2 carry handle but I'm a flat top kind of person and can't find anyone willing to trade. So, i'm at the point to where i'm getting ready to hack this thing off any suggestions should i wait it out and see if someone comes along or just cut it off and attach a short rail on it?

-Andrew Nolan

Pics of the carry handle modification.

Attachments

• moss1.jpg
    moss1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,055
  • moss2.jpg
    moss2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,055
  • moss3.jpg
    moss3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,053
Final steps of carry handle removal and modification.

Attachments

• moss4.jpg
    moss4.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,050
  • moss5.jpg
    moss5.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,046
  • moss6.jpg
    moss6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,050
divemasterjt said:
Ready for optics and shipment of barrel shroud. Will post pictures when they are mounted.

Dude that looks really good. What size is your barrel shroud? I cant wait to see that

I was just about to post your barrel looks naked without a flash hider on the end or something over the barrel.

Back