• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cartridge stop problem

That is good info Ernst.

I made a small .410 bore reloader because it was the only caliber/gauge that I wasn't able to load with on the Lee press I have. nothing more than a little piece of scrap steel and aluminum.

I admit that when loading slugs, I do roll crimp my shells. Mainly so I don't have to stack so many felt wads underneath of the slug to raise it up to proper height. I bought the little rollcrimping tool from ballistic products and it works well. But, use the lee to do the factory star crimps.

Zach, here's a little post I made several years ago when I was first getting into reloading shells and was having a hard time getting stuff to put in them. Maybe it would give you some ideas, and if not, at least give you some knowledge going forward because I don't think our country is going to get any better anytime soon.

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/ind...e-bulk-skeet-shells-good-for.7475/#post-98594

John, process I use is exactly the same as your video but for 12 gauge I have a wooden dowel which is center drilled down it's length and sanded to fit snuggly. Simply insert it into old shell and use punch and small hammer to extract the primer. Then insert new primer and tap the same wooden dowel to seat. I use the same wooden dowel to pack the powder and wad, etc. Finally use the $9 star crimper to recrimp the loaded shell. Tools fit in my jacket pocket if you want to take to the field. Just substitute a stick of wood or a rock for the hammer.

Flask of powder, a few primers, a powder dipper, some felt wads, and some shot and you're in business.

I don't reload slugs given that I typically only carry Brenneke bear loads plus keep a couple of spare boxes of regular slugs on hand. But there are cheap roll crimp hand held devices that work if you load slugs.

John, think we both appreciate things and techniques from the old days!

Regards

Last edited:
Old way doesn't mean bad way.

It may be a bit more "manually involved" but not bad.

I did it with .410 because even old school tools that's available commercially, or even used on ebay, was north of $100.

So, I made my own tools, saved myself about $97. It's not fancy, but it works. And to be honest, I still like shooting 410. It's what I learned to shoot a shotgun and hunt with.

I sincerely need to stop procrastinating and get some 410 wads.

Shame that 410 shells costs more to buy than 12 gauge. Even the cheap 410 bore shells are several bucks more for a box of 25.

John, little more old school, homemade stuff.

You can take any expended 30 cal brass cartridge expanded slightly to a proper diameter and use it to cut 410 wads or overshot cards. Most cardboard cracker or cereal boxes work well. They will even cut felt if you have some old pieces.

Old brass shells, of proper diameter, can be used to cut wads and shot cards for other calibers.

No cost solution!

Regards

OK, I hadn't thought of that, but I appreciate the advice.

I've seen all brass shells for 410 being used before. I'm pretty sure they're 444 magnum cases.

I'm picturing Ernst reaching down and grabbing a handful of gravel/pebbles when he runs out of shot... :D

Bobster, haven't used gravel but probably would work if you could find some fine river gravel. Not sure how it would treat your barrel!

But I have used ball bearings for old equipment roller bearings. They come in many sizes up 00 buckshot or even larger.

Used black powder (GOEX) and later Pydrodex for powder, cotton cleaning patches for wadding and cardboard overshot cards. Before getting the hand crimping tool used bees wax to seal the shells.

When you're poor and can't afford things you make do with what you can find.

I have a Mountain Man friend that today reloads everything (pistol, rifle and shotshells) using mostly handmade tools or those Lee classic handloaders for brass shells that need to be resized. He probably load 15 to 20 different calibers and only uses power dippers for measures. Don't need all this fancy equipment.

But I do have a press. A RCBS single stage from the 1970s and it still works great today. Like me it's a little slow!

Regards

My old rockchucker that I still use is from ~1981.

It was missing the deprimer rod when my friend Tom gave it to me.

I've been using a lee hand press to do resizing and depriming that another friend Chuck had given me. It's really a bit handier for me anyway since I can deprime and resize while sitting in my chair and I typically do those steps in waves anyhow. I typically have a box of range brass. And a box of brass primed and ready to load in different steps so it doesn't take up as much time. I often deprime and size my brass on rainy or cold weather days where I don't want to be doing much outside.

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90685-Reloading-Press/dp/B000NOQIFO

Zach, sorry for the hijack. Your thread has taken on a life of its' own at this point LOL

My old rockchucker that I still use is from ~1981.

It was missing the deprimer rod when my friend Tom gave it to me.

I've been using a lee hand press to do resizing and depriming that another friend Chuck had given me. It's really a bit handier for me anyway since I can deprime and resize while sitting in my chair and I typically do those steps in waves anyhow. I typically have a box of range brass. And a box of brass primed and ready to load in different steps so it doesn't take up as much time. I often deprime and size my brass on rainy or cold weather days where I don't want to be doing much outside.

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90685-Reloading-Press/dp/B000NOQIFO

Zach, sorry for the hijack. Your thread has taken on a life of its' own at this point LOL

John, that's a nice Lee hand held press! You know RCBS still carries replacement parts for their old presses.

My reloading technique is simular to yours in that I tend to do batch operations. If fact, I have 1500 pistol cases resized and reprimed right now awaiting time to move ahead. This batch processing technique tends to be more efficient for me given my single stage press.

Zach, thanks for indulging us and glad the info is useful. Question for you (don't remember the right thread). Did your replacement trigger group pin on your 500 work after finally removing the roll pin someone had stuck in there?

Regards

Zach, thanks for indulging us and glad the info is useful. Question for you (don't remember the right thread). Did your replacement trigger group pin on your 500 work after finally removing the roll pin someone had stuck in there?

Regards

Yes, I got the correct pin in there & it works great! The modified cartridge stop works but it'll be replaced when the new one arrives.

Back