• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

CCW licensing questions

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Curious what the classroom material and exam questions consists of.

I did not know that. Thank you for your service.

I agree on the $134 extortion. Shouldn't be required to pay for a freedom that we're supposed to be born with, but I know that is well off topic and I'll probably regret mentioning it later.

I did Utah course and a Virginia mail in out of state license.

Utah was a day full of discussion on when to draw and shoot, legal ramifications and watching a video. It ended with a safe gun handling, finger printing and a photo.

Got my license in a month.

Virginia was a mail in app, with finger prints, fee, and support I have a hunting license. Got that in a month.

NY, which is a restricted ccw license (to and from range only) took 8 months. And I freaking live here but can carry full time in 28 other states.

John it will all be comon sense stuff for you. You have a better understanding of law and gun safety than most that take the classes

Yup, as mentioned it should not be an issue for you. This LINK will give you an idea of what is discussed although I don't know what YOUR state requires. In FL, just about ANY prior training (including military) means you don't have to take "the course".

My being a "former" NRA Pistol Instructor was enough for them. I tried renewing the cert recently but that would require I retake the course as it had been over 10 years since I last taught. I still have the curriculum and you can buy it from the NRA website for about $15-$20. Re-taking the instructor course is NOT an option for me at this time both money ($200+) and time-wise (16? hours)... :(

here it is 35 bucks for a class where you listen to a guy talk about laws , then you take that cert to the sheriff , give a thumb print, take a picture and pay 50 bucks admin fee . Renew every 5 years for 50 bucks, if you laps then its the process all over.....shall issue state

Indiana is all application and payment online. schedule fingerprint at a Morphotrust location. (same as i have to do for a HAZMAT endorsement on my CDL, but they dont cross), visit to the local PD or Sheriffs dept, and wait a few weeks to receive the permit in the mail. no classroom work.

Looks like it will cost me about $500, (plus the pistol, so $1000) and take a couple months to get a new CCW.
(I haven't had one since the 70's)

I consider myself very lucky to have the money for this, and also lucky to not feel in any immediate danger.
My main issue is that I have to do updates and back up the computer data here after everyone else goes home. This property backs up to a shady residential area where the cops get called regularly, and we've had a couple parking lot burglars, and thefts here. I'm usually the last one out of the building, it's always well after dark, and I carry a briefcase containing our data with me. I've never been accosted physically here, but we do see some shady characters through our lot, and I have been approached by people begging money before.

Anyhow our sheriff is willing to issue, and I won't have any problem, though the high fees seem silly (unless you're deliberately trying to keep poor people from having protection.)

Man if I was poor and needed protection, I'd probably skip the whole thing and put a gun in my pocket.
Better to be judged by 12.....

John,
Here it was $135 for class fee;ammo, photo and prints.
8 hour class; 50rds and a 50 question test.
Wait for 35 days (state has up to 90 days to issue)
For Utah;$85 class fee and prints
8 hour class
Wait for 27 days

Here is TN it's $100, 8 hours divided between classroom and range, and fingerprints taken at one of several prerequisite municipal sites. If you have a pulse you can pass the written test. If you can hit a target the size of a door you can pass the shooting qualification. Took 30 days to issue the license...

When I called John, he told me that the class/range was $75.
*Complete a firearms safety course that is no longer than 8 hours and includes a mandatory marksmanship test with which the applicant must hit a full-sized silhouette target from 7 years with at least 11 out of 20 rounds fired.

I think the Sheriff's and state treasurers fee's are $60.

Valid for 5 years. Renewal fee is also $60

Reciprocity:
url

Aside from firearms, also exempts: knives, clubs, blackjacks, nunchaku, and brass knuckles. Was told this also exempts loaded long guns within reach inside a vehicle.

When I called John, he told me that the class/range was $75.
*Complete a firearms safety course that is no longer than 8 hours and includes a mandatory marksmanship test with which the applicant must hit a full-sized silhouette target from 7 years with at least 11 out of 20 rounds fired.

Seems an awful long way to shoot a pistol. Is that light years, John? HAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, that would be a long range shot wouldn't it.

Stupid computer spellchecker. I spell better than it does. At least if I misspell a word, I at least misspell the correct word.

In PA it's a visit to the sheriff's office, fill out the form, $35 and a NICS check. Fees vary from county to county. It took me about an hour because I went in on Christmas vacation and was caught in the end of year renewals. If you pass the check you leave with the license. I would have liked if they had given a booklet on the do's and dont's for CCW but they didn't. That info. was available online but it's not on an official government website so user beware.

As a weird purple state we were dumb enough to elect a Philly liberal as the state attorney general (she's currently under indictment and the bar pulled her law license) and she has been cancelling all of the reciprocity agreements that she can. She has made changes to the reciprocity agreements with Virginia, Florida, and Arizona, and she has canceled reciprocity agreements with Idaho and Utah.

Good luck John!

Curious what the classroom material and exam questions consists of.
Cant remember all but one i missed was about target size i think. Most are common sense, you will pass just study the 30.06 signeage where you are not allowed to carry and u will be fine. They go over the test in class. If you have any anxiety use a glock to test its simpler. Its impossible to fail the shooting part. With glock trigger safety when he says stop all u have to do is remove finger from trigger and put gun at side

John,

I've seen the mutts that have concealed carry privileges here in NYS. Whatever qualifications they may have in your state you'll pass with flying colors.

The only thing that's a PITA is the money you have to spend and the time you have to take off to get this done.

Back