• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Choate Magazine Tube Extension

nasa

.270 WIN
The Choate +5 Magazine Tube Extension, I received yesterday in the mail from MidwayUSA. This morning I went to install it. Reports I read were about how difficult the spring was to compress yada yada. I had no problem what so ever.

After removing the swivel cap, I easily pried the end spring retainer carefully letting the spring release and pulled the old spring and follower out.

I gave the magazine a quick brushing and a couple of swabs, inserted the follower and spring placing the extension tube over the exposed spring, brought them together and screwed it down tight in place of the swivel cap. The spring fed easily into the two pieces.

The included clamp has a sling attachment which I promptly took to the vice and using a pair pf pliers removed the sling wire loop, took the swivel stud screw to the drill press and drilled it all the way through so my quick connect on my sling would work on it.

Shells loaded into it smooth and easily. Loaded 3 inch shells and it held 9 not counting the chamber.

The only thing I could possibly say bad is that now the magazine stick out past the end of the barrel 3/16 past the end of the barrel.

I suppose this will not be my last magazine extention because I will need a shorter one when I use a 24 inch rifled barrel. Until then I'm happy with I have so far.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Choate magazine tube extension. Holding 9 3in shells in your 835 is an impressive capacity. Do you have any pictures of your newest modification?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1317420830695.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1317420830695.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 4,273
Some more pics

Attachments

• Choate_ext_02.JPG
    Choate_ext_02.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 4,265
  • Choate_ext_03.JPG
    Choate_ext_03.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 4,261
  • Choate_ext_01.JPG
    Choate_ext_01.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 4,265
I need to get another gun...a black 835...I'm jealous. ;)

This is after the rifled barrel and I cut down the +5 to make it the same length as the 24 inch barrel. Now it holds 9 2-3/4 shells in the magazine.

After the Williams fiber sight install.

Nice gun...oh and Hello,
I'm new to the site and when i saw your posting I had to get in touch with you since the thing that lead me to this site was a barrel question..and you seem to have the answer to my question.I have a 835 Ulti-mag turkey camo with the stock 24" barrel and want to put either a 18.5 or 20 inch barrel on it..but also want a barrel other than a shot barrel so if I want I can use it for deer hunting.Mossberg says all they have is a home defense barrel in that length and its not accurate out doors fro hunting..its strickly home defense..dont know why they say that.It appears you have found the barrel I need.Can you tell me anything about it and where you purchased it.
Thanks
Posttal aka Ralph
Cleveland,Ohio
posttal@hotmail.com

The Original Fort Worth Gun Show, It's this week end at Will Rogers over by TCU in Fort Worth just off of University. Bought two barrels there and one from someone here at MO. I like the rifled barrel. Was a 5 shot extension but I cut it down to 4 so it wouldn't stick out past the end of the barrel. Blows my friends away when I put in 4 shots plus 1 in the chamber and get off 10 rounds before reloading, them not knowing I had 5 in the magazine before I loaded it in front of them. Takes a little time for it to soak in for some of them. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I have really been bushed from working almost 70 hours a week and a 150 mile drive everyday if I don't have to make trips during the day. Know what I mean? I'm hoping to get to go to the gun show this weekend.

In the picture it is a rifled barrel, 24 inches in length with the modified Choate magazine extension and the iron sights replaced with the fiber sights. Haven't got it on there yet but I modified some scope rings so I can still use the fiber sights or swap to the scope with out changing anything. I could see over the rail but the base of the rings got in the way. I cut out the extra in the middle still leaving enough to clamp on the outside of the rail. If this doesn't work I may buy some different rings that screw directly to the receiver and not use the rail. Really would like to get another rifled barrel with the cantilever for scope mounting.

Big 5 had the 500 with a field barrel and the 18.5 inch cylinder bore for real cheap the other day. I've just had too much to do to be having too much fun with my guns. Too many honey do's, to many hobbies, too much work, yada yada yada. Just not enough hours in the day of day in the week.

Hey NASA....got a question for ya. I have a mossberg 835 turkey tactical with 24" barrell and am looking at the chaote mag extensions but not sure which one to get. Did yours come with the mag clamp? Everywhere I've looked they say they dont come with one for the 835. Also where did you get that tri rail clamp in the second to last photo? Any info would be greatly appreciated.....I'm a fellow TEXAN as well

I got the +5 from Midway and it did come with a clamp but if you read anything else on on my 835, you have seen that I cut it down to the same length as the 24 inch barrel. Using standard 2 3/4 shells makes it a 9 + 1. The 9th shell is a little tight but it still feeds every time. I thought about cutting about 3 turns off of the spring and giving it a little bit of stretch to make the 9th shell feel a little smoother on the loading. The clamp that came with it, I am not using. I modified a tri-rail to fit the vented rib barrel so I can use which ever barrel I want. It does a good job of holding the extension.

Thanks. I posted before I did all my research. I ordered the 9 shot extension from chaote and the tri-rail mag clamp from tuff force. The 9 shot will work on my 24"barrell with my 2" breacher choke. I also ordered the knoxx gen 2 stock with cheek piece and shell holder along with the tac star 4 shot side saddle. Should turn out to be a great dual purpose home defense/turkey slayer when it's all done. I will post some pics once i get it ceracoted in either flat od green or tiger stripe.

Back