• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

C'Mon~~ Try and stop me from doing this...

This morning's hunt proved fruitless
Gale force winds kept game tied down. As I parked in my driveway a young spindly racked 8-point crossed the street and walked within 10 feet of my truck to the woods behind my house. The irony of hunting.

I only have 2 more days of modern rifle season left and then I can switch over to the crossbow and can take either buck or doe.

On my trail camera, in the last 3 weeks, there has been a grand total of ONE buck that has showed his face during daylight hours. Honest to goodness, this is the only buck on the camera during the daytime in 3 weeks.

So, after this weekend, I'll be able to change gears and take either.

I should be able to take a doe without any muss or fuss and they are there every day on the camera between 8AM to 1PM at some point. Unless this fella decides to mess that up too. It seems to never fail. I really hate bears.

Yeah, I could do without the bears. They're the biggest nuisance troublesome animals around.

They have messed up my hunting for the last 3 years. Anytime the bears come in, the deer disappears. So as anyone that hunts knows, can really mess up a hunting season.

Yeah, I could do without the bears. They're the biggest nuisance troublesome animals around.

They have messed up my hunting for the last 3 years. Anytime the bears come in, the deer disappears. So as anyone that hunts knows, can really mess up a hunting season.
We have black bears everywhere that we hunt and some grizz in certain areas. But, you're right if a bear is in the area, the deer are not or are on their way out. You really have to pay attention and be on the lookout for fresh bear scat, if we find any we will usually move on unless my buddy has a bear tag he wants to fill.

I'm not afforded with that luxury of moving around. I only have ~10 acres to hunt on, so there's really nowhere I could move to. So, when the bears come in, it really screws my deer season. And there's so many bears, it's a constant struggle trying to keep them encouraged being somewhere else.

Seasons here are a joke and not worth the price of a tag.

That's a bummer John. We have lots of land to hunt on...but it's all public land. So, unless you've got weeks and weeks to spend traveling, scouting and hunting it's likely you'll end up competing with everyone else for a decent area closer to home. I can't count the number of times our hunts have been intruded on. ATV's & pick ups road hunting, barking dog walkers and my personal favorite is the target shooters or hunters who left it til opening weekend to sight in their rifles just a little after daylight...you know when the rest of us got up in the middle of the night and got into our spots BEFORE daylight??? Mutherchuckers!!

My last time out we were slowly, winding our way up the mountain well before daylight and were greeted by flashing lights and honking horns about 2km's from our spot. We were gonna park about 1 km from our spot and hike the rest of the way up.

Some fellas had set up camp for the weekend and someone had set off their bloody truck alarm at about 45 mins to 1hr to daylight. Needless to say we didn't see a bloody thing all morning. Found some fresh whitetail droppings and warm beds (no frost)...probably scared the heck and gone about 45 minutes or so before daylight. Fortunately, none of those guys had the nerve to follow us up the mountain and we didn't SEE anyone else until the afternoon but HEARD lots of repetitive shots further along the valley which just added to the frustration level.

Who needs bears when you've got a-holes like that!! LOL!

EDIT: I'd have welcomed a bear that morning...at least it's just a dumb animal with every excuse for intruding on our hunt...LOL!

EDIT 2: Whoops...sorry fellas...didn't mean to hijack or derail the conversation.

Last edited:
Back