• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Concealed Carry Discussion: Tips and Tricks

Understood, I just thought I'd share. I consider this fella lucky as well.

The real trouble with this whole situation is that he's sued the ranger that detained him as well as the State and started a drawn out legal battle over an outcome that he was likely intending to provoke. Life offers plenty of trouble without having to go looking for it.

For sure. I'm gonna assume the conversation with his supervisor went something like this...

Super. "Officer, what were you thinking!?"
Officer "Sorry, sir. It wont happen again."
Super. "That's right. Next time you shoot that SOB on sight and make sure he can't sue us again!"

:lol: Just playing, but back on topic. I worked a 10 hour shift tonight and was using my holster shirt. The mags started pinching me between the lip and my belt. Nothing major, just a minor annoyance. May try padding the inside of the pocket a little more to see how it feels.

I've never really had this problem with the shirts before, but tonight I was at a hotel providing security because they had 4 little league teams and 2 wedding receptions. They just wanted to make sure the kids weren't running and keeping people up and the drunks from the receptions were keeping it down. I ended up having to chase a few kids that thought they'd play hide from the security guard. That's when I noticed the pinching. It left a small red mark, but like I said nothing major. I just know to throw the little brats over the edge of the 10th floor next time. :lol:

Mudinyeri said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
^ Great input as always!

Thank you Sir.

Not just anyone can/will give you advice about pooping with a concealed weapon. :lol:

Thinking about it, that is VERY important information considering the toilet has a magnetic center of gravity and likes to draw items like cell phones, keys and pistols into it! ;) :lol:

A year after having fingerprints taken and staring at the paperwork, I've finally applied for my CCP (CWP). In FL, they do have regional "one-stop shops" for getting your permit in person by appointment: you fill out the app. on their computer, they take the photo (will save you $10 for the passport photo), do electronic fingerprinting (saves $5 at the local PD if they do it) and also notarize your signature (fees vary but my bank notarizes for free). But they are scheduling two months out so in my case I just mailed the stuff to them since I already had the fingerprint card. Should be golden in a month or two... :D

Also note that FL requires proof of firearms competency--I have a NRA Pistol Instructor cert. (expired :roll: ) I was able to use but that could be another expense for you to consider... Total fees to the state for a 7-year permit are $117: $42 fingerprint processing fee and $75 licensing fee. The link for the FL CWP Licensing website follows: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

PS: part of the reason I want my CCP is that it exempts me from the 3-day wait to buy a handgun... :twisted:

Looks like you've got the bases covered. Thanks for the info!

So which of your handguns do you plan to carry once you're good to go?

Nice ideas in here. I'll look more into this after I get a bunch of practice with the new Glock. Probably at least 1,000 rounds or so...(we go shooting often)

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Looks like you've got the bases covered. Thanks for the info!

So which of your handguns do you plan to carry once you're good to go?

Probably the G30 with an inside belt holster. I just got a G26 for the wife but she thinks it is too "bulky" in her purse... :roll: That will probably be my "glovebox" gun. :) Both have night-sights.

I'm thinking a Ruger LC9 or LCP (.380) for her once she gets her CCP as long as she promises NOT to use it on me! :shock:
;)

I'm not a big fan of the "tickler" .380 but I can probably reload them without much trouble other than a die set. I am already setup with two (2) Lee pro 1000s--one in .45ACP and the other in 9mm. I DO have a S-load of once-fired .380 cases, though. I'll continue this discussion in "ammunition" at a later date.

Take a look at the S&W Bodyguard .38. We looked at one at Scheel's and the second my wife picked it up she said "It felt like it belonged in her hand." I'm sure the built in laser was a bonus for her, since she likes shiny things and what not.

Bobster said:
I'm thinking a Ruger LC9 or LCP (.380) for her once she gets her CCL as long as she promises NOT to use it on me! :shock:
;)

Just a friendly heads-up on the LCP,

I've had one for a couple years now and I can't stand to shoot the thing. It was all that I could do to put enough rounds through it to properly break it in. It works just fine, but the thing is so small that it is VERY uncomfortable, even painful to shoot. It's really hard to get a proper grip on it and with the grip extensions I get pinched with every shot. My wife refuses to shoot it anymore after the first time. I can't imagine the LC9 being any better.

With modern advances in personal protection ammo I've got no problems carrying a .380, but there are several other pistols I'd recommend over the LCP.

The first would be the Kahr P380...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Bobster said:
I'm thinking a Ruger LC9 or LCP (.380) for her once she gets her CCL as long as she promises NOT to use it on me! :shock:
;)

Just a friendly heads-up on the LCP,

I've had one for a couple years now and I can't stand to shoot the thing. It was all that I could do to put enough rounds through it to properly break it in. It works just fine, but the thing is so small that it is VERY uncomfortable, even painful to shoot. It's really hard to get a proper grip on it and with the grip extensions I get pinched with every shot. My wife refuses to shoot it anymore after the first time. I can't imagine the LC9 being any better.

With modern advances in personal protection ammo I've got no problems carrying a .380, but there are several other pistols I'd recommend over the LCP.

The first would be the Kahr P380...

Thanks, LAZ. I guess part of the appeal is that they are going for $250 or so and that isn't too hard to manage, especially if it is not going to be a "regularly" shot pistol. I held one in a gun store recently and it would NOT be something I would carry. I can only imagine the "bites" the slide would give me. My wife's hands are a little smaller but a gun someone is not comfortable shooting may as well be used as a bludgeon. Too bad it doesn't have a bayonet mount... ;)

As mentioned, I'm not a fan of .380. First I had was a Bersa PPK clone. Pretty gun in alloy and blue but it was a real POS. I bought it cheap back in the '90s when I had my FFL. Just about 9mm size so why would I carry it when I had a perfectly servicable Ruger P85-II that wasn't much bigger.

Second was a Grendel "load through the top" plastic POS that happened to fit in the tiny console of an SUV my brother sold me so he included it. That gun was a "maybe" gun--maybe it would fire, maybe it wouldn't so I gave it back to him with no regrets. And it was really too small for my oversize mitts to hold.

Last .380 I had was a Gov't. Colt blued that I inherited from my dad. He really liked the gun a lot and I was sorry to sell it on him but I got good money for it and it helped to mostly finance my G30. It liked to bite if I wasn't careful holding it. Well made, though, but big and heavy for a "pocket" gun.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Take a look at the S&W Bodyguard .38. We looked at one at Scheel's and the second my wife picked it up she said "It felt like it belonged in her hand." I'm sure the built in laser was a bonus for her, since she likes shiny things and what not.

LMAO!! "Since she likes shiny things" haha. I LOVE my Walther .380...it fits like it belongs in my hand too...and it was a bonus that it was pink...since I like pink and what not.

I carry an XD sub compact in .40 Short & Weak.

depending on what Im wearing, I either use a Crossbreed Super Tuck for IWB carry or an Uncle Mikes for front pocket carry.
Depends on what Im wearing and where Im going.

Oh wow, you can conceal an XD subcompact in your front pocket? That's awesome! There's no way I could pull that off...

this is with my shirt untucked.
and yes the XD is under there.

Attachments

• 100_2498.JPG
    100_2498.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 701
  • 100_2500.JPG
    100_2500.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 701
Ah, nice!

I was thinkin you had the WHOLE gun in your pocket. My wallet rides in my front pocket, keys and phone on the other side so both my pockets are in use. My IWBs ride in the waistband at about 3 o'clock.

That's a nice carry option you're using though. Thanks for sharing...

I moved my money clip (no real wallet, just holds licenses and a CC and money) to my left pocket, keys go in the left pocket with a pull tab clip, and my phone goes in a phone case on my belt.
I use this mostly when Im know Im gonna be walking around alot. its a bit uncomfortable to sit.

Back