• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Concealed Carry Discussion: Tips and Tricks

My wife just applied for her Lifetime CCP after 17 years of badgering from me. :D
It only took some local break-ins to get the ball rolling. Never mind I work overseas and she frequently comes home after dark.
Once we get her permit, it is training from me on her particular handgun (I was an Army qualified weapons and range instructor) and then off to the local pros for SD/range training.
Anyway, her carry gun for now will be a Sig P250SC 9mm or a S&W 042 snubbie .38. I doubt she will want to carry on her person as she very rarely wears a belt and she is fashion conscious. That means she will more than likely carry it in her purse. :roll:
Anyone out there have any experience with the Galco purse/holsters or know of alternate carry methods other than a fanny pack?

I have a question about conceal carry pertaining to ammo. W hat ammo do you carry?
FMJ or HP? I carry a mixture of FMJ and HP. The first bullet is a HP and every other bullet after that is a FMJ. My secondary magazine is all FMJ. Does anyone else do this or am I the only one? :)

tcecil88 said:
Anyone out there have any experience with the Galco purse/holsters or know of alternate carry methods other than a fanny pack?

I've been looking into this for the same reason. My wife currently uses an Uncle Mike's IWB, but with her form-fitting clothes sometimes it has a noticeable imprint. She usually just puts the gun and holster in her purse. Not the best option, but better than nothing. I'll have to look into that Galco for her.

I don't know if your wife wears skirts or not, but maybe a thigh holster would be an option.

J.L. said:
I have a question about conceal carry pertaining to ammo. W hat ammo do you carry?
FMJ or HP? I carry a mixture of FMJ and HP. The first bullet is a HP and every other bullet after that is a FMJ. My secondary magazine is all FMJ. Does anyone else do this or am I the only one? :)

I keep all of my handguns loaded with Winchester Ranger HPs. I don't see the reason to mix FMJ and HP. If you're wanting stopping/dropping power, HP is the way to go since it transfers all of its energy to the target and creates the largest wound channel.

That's my 2 cents.

The user Limalife on YouTube has a lot of videos dedicated to selecting the right holster etc for women.

If I recall she has reviews of several different holsters etc that she has tried.

http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife

In my area of the country there are a great deal of auto thefts and an increase number of carjackings. The auto thefts and carjackings are due in large part to drug cartels moving/already in the area. The vehicles are stolen and driven to Mexico to be used for drug transportation.

Imagine being stopped at a red light with your family in the vehicle and you notice a bg/stranger approaching. One would not have time to lift the pistol above the lower part of the window and doing so would alarm anyone who sees the pistol (pedestrians/other drivers). It makes more sense for me to keep the gun on my lap, hidden from sight, but ready for action. This is why I carry a mix of bullets in the magazine. I believe in being prepared, especially for known dangers in my area.

I have shot 9mm HP through a car door and found that they loose quite a bit of energy especially if they hit the internals of the door or when the window is lowered. I find that FMJ in 124 gr. NATO 9mm do an admirable job of punching through the door, door internals, lowered windows, and still have enough energy to give the bg a wake up call (or good night song).

Is there such a thing as being too prepared? ;)

ImAShrimp said:
J.L. said:

I keep all of my handguns loaded with Winchester Ranger HPs. I don't see the reason to mix FMJ and HP. If you're wanting stopping/dropping power, HP is the way to go since it transfers all of its energy to the target and creates the largest wound channel.

That's my 2 cents.

I think it really depends on the ammo that you're carrying. Anything 9mm and larger have shown in test that the Hollow Point variants meet the FBI standard for penetration in ballistic gel (12" minimum). Ammo such as .380 ACP, .32 ACP, etc. have shown that in Hollow Point form they do not provide the penetration required in ballistic gel (there are some exceptions to this), where the FMJ variant does provide the required penetration to meet FBI standards. There also can be feeding issues with smaller caliber HP. so my thought process when selecting self defense ammo is as follows:

1. Reliability (have to get the bullet into the chamber and have it fire the projectile EVERY time)
2. Penetration (the projectile has to reach the vital organs, even from an odd angle (ie. through the shoulder or arm and into the torso)
3. Expansion (because the larger the hole the better)

Phillip

Picked up another Bianchi CarryLok this afternoon. This one's for the SIG P220 ES...

I absolutely love these holsters!

Well I decided it was time to give up my Galco Stow-N-Go IWB holster for something more comfortable for my G19. For those that haven't seen one, this is what I'm talking about:
STOWNGO1.jpg

It's not a bad IWB option, but it's defiantly not the best. So ... I broke down and ordered me a Crossbreed SuperTuck in Horse Hide w/ J-Clips. I passed on the Combat Cut option, as I was going this route because the Galco isn't very comfortable. Since my only mag holster is a Blackhawk OWB Mag Holster that matches my SerpaII Paddle Holster, I decided to add a matching Crossbreed Tuckable IWB Mag Holster that holds two G19 mags. I decided to stay with the stock SnapLok clips on this so I can swap them out between the SuperTuck and Mag Holster to see which I like better.

They say allow 4-6 weeks for delivery, so hopefully I can find something to do in the mean time to keep my mind busy. I'll be sure to write up a review (with pictures of course) when I get it. Hopefully I already buy my pants big enough to accommodate all that IWB goodness! :lol:

90+% of the time I have my Kahr CW9 in a Hume IWB. Lots to be said for leather and long term use. I carry an extra mag somewhere on my person. My daily belt is a 1.5" leather off duty Velcro closure unit. It is stiff and big enough to handle the IWB job while still blending with business casual attire - no tactical daily wear for me I'm afraid. I recently took a non carry friendly job with lots of close contact among colleagues. I have to go on/off in the car (tethered lock box) and am not comfortable with the situation after 3 months. I carry a nice benchmade but even clipping it on a pocket would be viewed as not cool. I've considered having an office setup but that would have to be in lock down as well for sure. Life goes on and I wonder what my colleagues would think if I protected the office in a bad situation?! For now I'm thinking, waiting and watching. I did pick up my new DPMS Sportical on a long lunch today. It sat in my hatch for the afternoon and tomorrow I'll be at the range. Life's funny. I'm a dept. Director (1 of 3 with 30 yrs experience and a masters degree in my field) under the exec Dir. but strongly expect that I would be perceived as a serious BG if I stepped out of the box.

I feel your pain brother.

I work in a six story building with over 500 people and there's a strict no-firearms policy on the premesis.

My 'roll your own' holster kit showed up today. In about 20 min. it went from this:

holster.jpg

To this:

holster1.jpg

It's a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. In a couple weeks when it breaks in it should be great. For under 40 bucks I'm impressed.

Very cool!

Nice job and a great find. I'm interested in hearing what you think after you've worn it for a few weeks...

I saw these on ebay, but do not know anyone who has one. Please keep us informed on how you like it. I am looking for a good concealment rig for my P250C and that could be the ticket.

Home carry good or bad idea?

Do you or would you open carry or concealed carry while at home?

I know that seems like an odd question, yet, I'm pondering the pros and cons of home carry. I think it is a good idea while at home to have access to a firearm, yet I'm on the fence as to whether or not, to carry while home?

Back