• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Concealed Handgun License (CHL)

And what country are you in bRianex ?! You have USA listed...

And BTW...Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum...stop by the "New Member Welcome Area" and let us know a little about youself !!

I have what is called a Handgun carry permit here in TN. This allows for concealed or open carry. Also with the permit I can carry a loaded shotgun. Meaning it can be loaded in the magazine but cant have one in the chamber (with the shotgun that is). Pretty cool huh? AHHHH TN the land of the free.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Have mine.

TN calls it a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP). It too only applies to handguns.

The state has some odd laws pertaining to the transport of long guns. Rifles/Shotguns must always be transported in an "unloaded" state which means no ammo or magazines within reach of the firearm. If you're taking your AR to the range and there are empty magazines in the case, you are technically breaking the law. Kinda wierd. Although any Game Warden or Trooper will tell you that they will judge "intent" when confronted with a rifle in the car. If you've got a range bag and paper targets with the rifle they usually won't mess with you, but I don't like to leave things up to chance. Mine travel in the back of the SUV with all ammo and mags up front with me. Transport of handguns is subject to these same restrictions for non-permit holders.

This is incorrect. Legislature just passed a law (this past year) in regards to the carry permit that people can carry in their cars loaded shotguns provided there is not one in the chamber. The reason I know this is because I am on the TN Firearms forum called TFA online and it discussed this in length on there. They also talked about it on TGO Tennessee Gun Owners forum. I dont remember the exact TCA on it but it is now law that we can do this. I dont do it but you can and not get in trouble.

tnxdshooter said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Have mine.

TN calls it a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP). It too only applies to handguns.

The state has some odd laws pertaining to the transport of long guns. Rifles/Shotguns must always be transported in an "unloaded" state which means no ammo or magazines within reach of the firearm. If you're taking your AR to the range and there are empty magazines in the case, you are technically breaking the law. Kinda wierd. Although any Game Warden or Trooper will tell you that they will judge "intent" when confronted with a rifle in the car. If you've got a range bag and paper targets with the rifle they usually won't mess with you, but I don't like to leave things up to chance. Mine travel in the back of the SUV with all ammo and mags up front with me. Transport of handguns is subject to these same restrictions for non-permit holders.

This is incorrect. Legislature just passed a law (this past year) in regards to the carry permit that people can carry in their cars loaded shotguns provided there is not one in the chamber. The reason I know this is because I am on the TN Firearms forum called TFA online and it discussed this in length on there. They also talked about it on TGO Tennessee Gun Owners forum. I dont remember the exact TCA on it but it is now law that we can do this. I dont do it but you can and not get in trouble.

http://www.tfaonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3200&p=12710&hilit=loaded+shotgun+carry#p12710

See C. Richard Archie's post about half way down the page. Here is what it said basically.

Long arm and ammunition could not be in the same compartment "within reach", or more precisely weapon and ammunition could not be available for loading. If in a pick up, gun in cab, ammunition in the bed. In a car, if the weapon was in the rider's compartment, ammunition must be in the trunk. Otherwise , individual was subject to a charge of "Intent to go armed".

Until last year and passage with Governors signature for HB 0390, it was the same for the HCP holder. However, that legislation now allows long guns to be carried in a vehicle if the individual has a HCP, with rounds in the magazine but not chamber, until a threat is perceived. At such time, a round can be chambered.

tnxdshooter said:

Senate amendment #3:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by
adding the following new subsection (e):
(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that a person
authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, is transporting a rifle or
shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle, and the rifle or shotgun does
not have ammunition in the chamber. However, such a person does not violate
this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is
inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to §§ 39-11-611 or 39-
11-612.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare
requiring it.

So, effective now!

Washington State is a "shall issue" State. They have to as long as you're not a criminal, or domestic abuser. Within 30 days of application. We recognize any other State's license as long as their requirements meet our background check requirements, and they recognize out of state licenses themselves. I believe currently the list is Arkansas, Mississippi, Ohio, Florida, Missouri, Oklahoma, Louisiana, North Carolina, Tennessee, Michigan, North Dakota, Utah.

Used to be a really fast process. Now I hear they take the full 30 days due to staffing cutbacks. Less paperwork than the federal firearms form, but fingerprinting is required of course. No classes or training required.

So I can pack my gun, but I'm in violation of the law if I carry my Spyderco Endura with its super scary 3 and 3/4 inch blade... I carry that knife in the field when hunting or fishing, but I'd never carry it in say Seattle... I carry a dainty 3 inch delica in Seattle to not frighten the dazzling urbanites... And a 4.5 inch barreled 45 acp M&P :lol: :lol: :lol:

blue said:
Washington State is a "shall issue" State. They have to as long as you're not a criminal, or domestic abuser. Within 30 days of application. We recognize any other State's license as long as their requirements meet our background check requirements, and they recognize out of state licenses themselves. I believe currently the list is Arkansas, Mississippi, Ohio, Florida, Missouri, Oklahoma, Louisiana, North Carolina, Tennessee, Michigan, North Dakota, Utah.

Used to be a really fast process. Now I hear they take the full 30 days due to staffing cutbacks. Less paperwork than the federal firearms form, but fingerprinting is required of course. No classes or training required.

So I can pack my gun, but I'm in violation of the law if I carry my Spyderco Endura with its super scary 3 and 3/4 inch blade... I carry that knife in the field when hunting or fishing, but I'd never carry it in say Seattle... I carry a dainty 3 inch delica in Seattle to not frighten the dazzling urbanites... And a 4.5 inch barreled 45 acp M&P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually the current NRA backed law just passed and is heading for the Presidents desk for National reciprocity. Of course his commie butt will veto it. No biggie the house will just float it on through into law.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Cool, taking my class on the 3rd. I don’t really want to carry concealed I just want to be able to hide it in my truck so anyone passing by the window won’t see it and occasionally put it in my pocket for the trail but for the most part everyone open carries here when not in town and out in the woods...not even looked at twice. Here you can open carry and have them in your vehicle loaded if you want just not hidden.

I have been carrying for 15 years. The state of Texas has only issued licenses for about the past 11 years. It is called Concealed Handgun License (CHL). I have one and put it to use every day. Congratulations on obtaining your license Dan! :)

In North Carolina, you have the option of a Concealed Carry Permit or an individual Pistol Permit, if you wish to purchase a handgun. A separate Pistol Permit ($5) is required for each purchase, unless you opt for Concealed Carry. Once you have a Concealed Carry, you no longer have to purchase Pistol Permits and can buy as many handguns as you want. Getting a CC is kinda pricey, but the ability to get away from the individual purchase permits is a real perk of having one. Did I confuse you? ;)

No permits are required for long gun purchases here, just a quick call to the FBI. Take care. Tom Worthington.

CCW here in MO with reciprocity with 38 other issuing states IIRC. Had mine for 5 years. Test involves classroom time and range testing but for anyone with common sense and a bit of knowledge of firearms it is not difficult. We also have good Castle Doctorine laws for home and car and car carry (like home protection) does not require a permit. It's kind of a PITA living next door to IL - a state with no CCW allowance at all. The rules of transport are strict and without a trunk on my car (hatch) I may be in violation especially with an LEO who may be strictly by the book.

That said, I do love the MO position as one of the top Carry friendly states in the US!

I applied for my license 2 weeks ago and I am awaiting approval. It normally takes 4-6 weeks in my county. My fiancee and I had a good friend (my fiancee's former roommate) abducted and stabbed many times last year in a little town a year ago. She survived, but it was a scary time for us. I had previously not really thought that carrying a gun was necessary. Now, I know that I would rather have one and never need it than to not have a gun and need it.

I've had my CPL (Concealed Pistol License) here in MI since 2001, prior to MI becoming shall issue I had hunting and target carry permits as that was all I could get without it being required for work or having connections at the sheriff’s office.

One thing I would stress to anyone, take advanced classes. Here in MI the CPL classes cover a lot of the basics but not enough to prepare you for shooting while moving, combat/tactical reloads, low light/no-light, using cover, etc. Taking more advanced training was a real eye opener to me as to how much I really didn’t know, esp. when it comes to knowing what's beyond your target. Shooting a 3d course and realizing how your tunnel vision under stress limits what you perceive is a harsh slap in the face.

Back