• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Corn Cob vs. Fat Checkered Forearm

i've been staring at pictures of 590's with wood furniture all day.

i was hoping not to modify mine, but adding woods would give it a nice and classic look different from standard tactical black. however, i'm having a hard time deciding between forearm designs.

which would you choose, the older "corn cob" (police) style or the newer checkered one that's fatter and longer?

This is a very good thread you started.

I admit that I have wanted (perhaps too badly) a wood stock/forend set for my 590. There has even been lots of time wasted trying to search the interwebz for one that could be mine.

It never occured to me that the checkered versions were appropriate, but the rough forend and smooth shoulder stock always seems to be just about perfect.

i believe the checkered versions are made of walnut and the corn cobs are something else. i could be wrong though.

i like both and i think either would look great, but the corn cobs with matching stocks are a little more expensive from what i can tell and most are showing their age as they haven't been made for a long time.

the only problem i see with choosing the checkered forearm is that i'll have to remove my side saddle since the checkered forearm overlaps the receiver when cycling the action. a plus is that they sell for less, are usually in better (like new) condition, and are made of better wood IMO. i just don't want to remove my saddle.

dilemma here...

I spent my life around shotguns used for hunting and clays so the checkered forends just feel more natural to me.

MikeD said:
I spent my life around shotguns used for hunting and clays so the checkered forends just feel more natural to me.

MikeD, I totally agree with you that when it comes to a field, trap. skeet and sporting clays shotgun checkered is FAR superior!

I've got a project on the horizon and I'll be utilizing one of the older corn cobb forend/stock sets. Personally, I like the classic look of the old police style forends over the newer checkered versions. I'll be stripping and re-finishing the wood, so any wear on the finish isn't an issue...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I've got a project on the horizon and I'll be utilizing one of the older corn cobb forend/stock sets. Personally, I like the classic look of the old police style forends over the newer checkered versions. I'll be stripping and re-finishing the wood, so any wear on the finish isn't an issue...

It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway.......we (well, at least I) want picks of said project when it comes to fruition. :D

You know it!

It's gonna be a little while yet, but I certainly won't be shy with the pics throughout the process...

Back