• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Coyote Hunting

Re: Who here hunts coyote?

:lol:

yeah, you gotta admit, that was pretty good camo.

If it's good enough for Johnny Rambo, it's good enough for me

Here's another one of my all time fall hunting camo favorites:

Jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker :mrgreen:

I see what you mean!

17adcf45-9cf9-4552-b131-9ab17985f83b.jpg

**Another thread hijacked**

I dont' know where we went wrong.

But yeah, there's some coyote hunters around.

Most guys do it for the pelts. Can make some good money if you get a good bunch of them, I just can't stand the smell when they're skinned.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Most guys do it for the pelts. Can make some good money if you get a good bunch of them, I just can't stand the smell when they're skinned.

Just to skin doesnt smell too bad. Dead never smells good... but skinning doesnt bother me. Opening up the guts, ugh, that smell stays with me for days!

Oh yeah! I'll look for the woodland ATACS!

Coyote Hunting questions...

While I saw the post about Coyote hunting, seems it got hijacked by all the camo stuff...so I wanted to start a new one. I more or less agree with some of the posts about all the camo (paraphrase "we have harvested many critters with jeans, sweat shirts, and an old double barrel" i.e. old school).

So my big question is, Is it really necessary to have any camo to hunt coyotes out over an open field, if you are near a wooded area as a backdrop or a fence row?
I know you are supposed to face the wind and I have seen video on PBS on how to call them- is it really a danger if one comes up behind you? Seems they will just take off if startled.
Is it wise to take the Mossie along just in case one sneaks up too close for comfort?

My primary weapon would be the CZ Carbine .223 with a 2 x 7 Vortex scope and I have been told that BTHP's will put them down for keeps with a good shot.
I would like to try it this winter, but I damn sure am not going to go out and spend beaucoup money just for clothing...

Attachments

• CZ -US 527.png
    CZ -US 527.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 623
Re: Coyote Hunting questions...

To camo? or to camo? That is the question.....

Not really. If you use a rifle and you are a couple hundred yards away from it, it will never see you, camo or plain clothes.... However if you use a shotgun, wear camo. Just my opinion though.
I have camo and own only shotguns and 22's. In CT you cannot use a rifle to hunt unless it's a 22. So I have a nice semi auto shotty for slugs :twisted:

Also.. if you want camo clothes..check an army surplus store. they always have camo stuff. it doesn't have to be a full on ghilie suit, just something to "blend in".

edit...here's another opinion from another thread.

Why a Turkey barrel * topic*
http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic ... 564#p20564

oli700 said:
blue said:
oli700 said:
LIke you said, any gun will kill it. Standard barrel with the right choke and shot. All the rest is a sales gimick IMO.

When I was a kid we did fine with shiny wingmasters, jeans and pendleton shirts with an orange vest .

I have killed more animals in a flannel shirt and an old pair of wool bdu's.
Camo is for people hunting.
I can see it more for bow and the distance you have to get with bow but knowing how to stalk will get you farther than camo IMO. It is proven most game can’t see that good anyway...turkey is an acceptation as with all birds, they see awesome but it is really motion, sound and smell that tip off most animals. For deer and elk, nothing is more entertaining as a clean truck stuffed with a bunch of camoed up flatlanders….and that’s on their way home.

So it's really a matter of "your choice".

sonsimon said:
So my big question is, Is it really necessary to have any camo to hunt coyotes out over an open field, if you are near a wooded area as a backdrop or a fence row?

I know you are supposed to face the wind and I have seen video on PBS on how to call them- is it really a danger if one comes up behind you? Seems they will just take off if startled.

Is it wise to take the Mossie along just in case one sneaks up too close for comfort?

Nope, camo is not necessary. You will be scented long before you will be seen and you will be seen from movement and silhouetting before they figure out you didn’t spend enough on camo…..if camo is what you like than go for it. I like pockets and sometimes that’s camo pants….with a flannel shirt

If you face the wind and one comes up behind you then it is your lucky day because you are about to kill the stupidest yote in the woods. They are scared of you….the only time a yote is a threat is when it’s mom and pups or a hungry pack….even then they are quite skittish, don’t think of them as wolfs …

Wise to take the SG…..IDK because I don’t think carrying two long guns is wise but I never go hunting without a pistol, bigger and meaner the pistol the better but I have finished the job on two deer with a 9mm

Oh and I havent seriously hunted yotes but have shot a couple on the fly…..felt real bad once because it was a mating pair and the other one got away and you could hear it “crying”….I will probably never shoot another one and the more I thought about it the more I didn’t like the idea because I wasn’t hungry or utilizing it in any way…..but to each his own, good luck on the hunt.

Keep in mind this is just my .02….but I have killed many things so I have a little exp.

Mil-Surp camo is cheap. I just picked up 2 woodland bdu shirts for $10. Total.

I wouldnt hunt without a backup, that being something that fires reliably. If you have means of carrying two long guns like a scabbard or pack, or even just a secure sling then go for it. I prefer a large caliber pistol. I have used a .357 revolver in bear country while hunting white tail, but I have a 1911 .45 ACP these days.

I dont think camo is necessary. My post about stalking in this section, we stalked a deer without concern about wind direction and we wore jeans and tshirts. Turkeys are the smart ones, but other critters can and will be spooked by movement, sound and scent anyway. It cant hurt by anymeans, and as Oli pointed out, pockets are useful, often that means bdu's or cargo pants. I like carrying a back pack too anyway.

I'm another one with just 2 cents to offer, so take it for what its worth! ;)

If you're hunting long range, the rifle will be my first go-to.

If you're trying to call them in as close as you can, and in thick brushy woods, the shotgun because they'll plow through all the vegetation and still have enough lead in the air to get poochy-pooh.

Yea- ripjack- that is what I was paraphrasing...funny. If conditions are right, I think the rifle is the way to go. Since I recently sold the .357 Ruger GP-100, perhaps the snubbie .357 is more than adequate for a backup.
However, John A. is right about the shotgun in thicker stuff. Does anyone have a suggestion on rounds for that? I would presume that #4 buck is a good way to go, but what about BB loads? Perhaps the XXFull turkey choke is also the way to go?

do you just want to kill them or are you doing something with them ?

For the shotgun I would use primarily slugs, otherwise 00 buck. Just me maybe. The smaller BB stuff and possibly #4 buck may just maim and wound at any distance. The slugs will offer more range and density. 00 buck if theyre close enough. But switching between loads is likely enough to scare them off.

My 2 cents...

I wear camo because I want the advantage...I didn't run out and buy it the night before to look cool...nor do I wear it everyday, walking around town. Does it help...I would think so...due to the fact that coyotes have dedicated eyesight and will notice even the slightest movement you make...this is how they hunt...sight, sound and scent.

Some use scent cover and others use scent eliminator...whatever you do, don't wash your face, body or hair with Irish Spring then attempt to hunt. Don't wash your clothes or cammies in Tide with UV brightners. Don't drink alcohol or smoke the day before the hunt, and definitely not on the way to the stand.

It is imperative to blend into your surroundings by matching your camouflage clothing to the terrain you hunt upon. It is also decisive to cover all exposed skin areas, and this includes your face as human skin is extremely reflective and coyotes will notice this. Another important element of camouflaging is to try and limit movement when you're on stand. If you truly must move, do it slowly and in a well calculated way.

Coyotes like a quiet approach...using the trails is easier and makes the least noise. Busting through the brush or tall grass makes the most noise. Look for them to come in on a trail, an old road, or a fenceline as they will most often use the path of least resistance.

Pay close attention to the direction of the wind constantly. The coyote's sense of smell is highly developed, and shouldn't be ignored. When you set up, be sure you place yourself either with the wind straight in your face or with a crosswind. The coyotes are known for circling downwind to gain the scent advantage, thus the perfect set-up would have to be with a crosswind and enough open area downwind to observe any coyotes that might be circling.

It is also imperative that you call with the sun facing at your back. This will make it more difficult for the coyote to see you. Another significant aspect of setting up is positioning yourself in the shade. By doing so, it will help hide your position and make it more tricky for the coyote to spot you.

Set up in the stand before dawn...most coyotes have become nocturnal by necessity...being they live and hunt in relative proximity to their only natural enemy...man. It also pays to do your homework...visiting the targeted area...( all my hunts have been on secluded private property...with full permission of the farmer who has sanctioned the hunt, and I know the area PA game warden by first name, as I worked with his father. )... knowing the food sources as well as the yote does...will bring you even closer to your quarry. Glassing the area head of time helps too. Scouting for signs, looking for remnants of a kill, and scat. Hunting and thinking like the coyote does will produce results. Wounded prey calls like a distressed rabbit get them rifle and shotgun close...whether it be a mouth call or a store bought call with waving fur antenna lure...fresh killed rabbit in a baggy is even better...giving them the blood scent to home in on...and one rabbit divided up and refrigerated will last a good while...just let it drop to the ambient outside temp before setting it out.

Pick a flat shooting caliber thats good out to at least 300 yards...( 99% of my shots have always been within 75 yards here in Pennsylvania ). I use my AR platform in .223...scoped with a 4x. On my hip is my .44magnum...with one speed loader in my pocket. Always know your backdrop...what is beyond the target should you miss. I always hunt with a buddy...coyotes are known to do the same.

Enjoy the hunt...

Rossignol said:
For the shotgun I would use primarily slugs, otherwise 00 buck. Just me maybe. The smaller BB stuff and possibly #4 buck may just maim and wound at any distance. The slugs will offer more range and density. 00 buck if theyre close enough. But switching between loads is likely enough to scare them off.
thats why I asked what he is doing with them....if you are selling the pelt you want to take damage into consideration

oli700 said:
Rossignol said:
thats why I asked what he is doing with them....if you are selling the pelt you want to take damage into consideration

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted, some will want the pelts so limiting the damage will be important too!

Shooter, excellent points!

sonsimon said:
While I saw the post about Coyote hunting, seems it got hijacked by all the camo stuff...so I wanted to start a new one.

sonsimon said:

:lol: Ok, am I the only one who's confused by the need for a new thread? Not pickin on anyone, just struck me as funny...

Well... maybe rossignol could condense them into a single topic? Is that a good idea? Or a mod with ability to. I don't think I can. Plus I'm on my phone at work.

Back