• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Coyote Hunting

Well, we didn't see or shoot anything... We saw a ton of sign; tracks, piss, crap, the whole deal. Lots of fresh tracks in the fresh snow. We even heard one in the distance but couldn't get close, nor would it come in. We spent a lot of time hiking and driving all over gods creation an we had a great time. I love being in the woods, to shoot something would have been an added bonus.

Suggestions for hunting coyote/cougar/wolves

Hey gang,

What ammo and what shotgun for that matter would you guys suggest for hunting these different predators that roam the farm land where I am from.

I wil be buying my first shotgun real soon and just curious, being new to the game and all, what suggestions ya'll have for a newcomer such as myself.

Thanks,
Kev

Re: Suggestions for hunting coyote/cougar/wolves

Kingscross said:
Hey gang,

What ammo and what shotgun for that matter would you guys suggest for hunting these different predators that roam the farm land where I am from.

I wil be buying my first shotgun real soon and just curious, being new to the game and all, what suggestions ya'll have for a newcomer such as myself.

Thanks,
Kev

If you get close enough to cap one on the move with a shotgun your doing good. If it was all I had I would go foster slugs. If you’re looking to buy a firearm for just killing canines than get a rifle....a small high pressure cartridge in a repeating , box magazine platform. Dogs are among the hardest creatures to hunt unless you’re baiting and even then, especially wolves…..I have never talked to anyone that has ever filled a wolf quota.....

Kingscross said:
Hey gang,

Thanks,
Kev

At what range will you encounter them?

You might be better off with a .22 Magnum Ruger 10/22 or a Savage .243 Win.............

nitesite said:
Kingscross said:
Hey gang,

Thanks,
Kev

At what range will you encounter them?

You might be better off with a .22 Magnum Ruger 10/22 or a Savage .243 Win.............

I agree, get a rifle! I currently use my .243 for dog hunting, but I want to get a 25-06 and use that instead.

Kingscross said:
Hey gang,

Thanks,
Kev

For huntings yotes and other predators I am a huge fan of using the AR15 platform.

It seems the general consensus us definitely acquiring a rifle.
I was planning on picking up a Ruger 10-22 and will eventually be inheriting my grandfather's 30-06 and .270
I've always dreamt about getting the Mossberg pump, which led to me choosing that as my first purchase ..
I will also be hunting pheasant and rabbit with my good friend, but while out chances are decent we may run into one of the above predators, or so I've been told by the local old timers
Would a 10-22 do the job efficiently on a yot,? which would be the more probable pred I would run into.

Thanks for all the advice gents, I can't wait to get out there and get it in. It's like the feeling you got as a child waiting for Santa or the easter bunny hahaha, good times.

Cheers
Kev

Kingscross said:
Hey gang,

Thanks,
Kev

Kingscross said:
I was planning on picking up a Ruger 10-22 and will eventually be inheriting my grandfather's 30-06 and .270
I've always dreamt about getting the Mossberg pump, which led to me choosing that as my first purchase ..
I will also be hunting pheasant and rabbit with my good friend, but while out chances are decent we may run into one of the above predators, or so I've been told by the local old timers
Would a 10-22 do the job efficiently on a yot,? which would be the more probable pred I would run into.

Thanks for all the advice gents, I can't wait to get out there and get it in. It's like the feeling you got as a child waiting for Santa or the easter bunny hahaha, good times.

Cheers
Kev

If you're def goin shotgun, foster slugs, even the full power TruBall or Breneke.

Id agree on the rifle otherwise. However, I can understand your point about bein out and huntin other game and havin slugs as a backup in case of predatory animals.

My experience while huntin, coyotes know we're there way before we know of them, even when we're in areas we know they habit. They just don't come around. Best I could do is set up and watch over the areas I know they use as their bathroom. Even then they just don't come out when I'm out.

Rossignol said:
Kingscross said:
Hey gang,

Thanks,
Kev

Kingscross said:

Cheers
Kev

If you're def goin shotgun, foster slugs, even the full power TruBall or Breneke.

Id agree on the rifle otherwise. However, I can understand your point about bein out and huntin other game and havin slugs as a backup in case of predatory animals.

My experience while huntin, coyotes know we're there way before we know of them, even when we're in areas we know they habit. They just don't come around. Best I could do is set up and watch over the areas I know they use as their bathroom. Even then they just don't come out when I'm out.

Yea they are smart that's for sure, but you can't be too careful out in the bush. It's more of a just in case scenario, but I will definitely try out the foster slugs at the range before hand.

Thanks for all the advice gents, I'm soaking it all in.

p657628637-4.jpg

I called this one in yesterday and my brother took his first coyote. She was 10ft away when he put her down. It took 14 minutes of calling and this was the closest I have ever had one come.

Awesome. Calling them to 10ft is pretty darn good, they usually figure the gig is up much sooner. Do you use any kind of decoy as well or just the call?

I've never had a breathing one that close to me. My personal closest is about 30 yards.

Nice lookin dog....

I had 2 of em within 6 feet of me, one on my left, one on the right. It was my first ever turkey hunt on my own. I was up against a huge pine and was lookin straight ahead at a few jakes and they snuck up behind me lookin for a meal. I never heard them creeping up to me, but I caught one out of the corner of my eye and looked at the one on my right, made eye contact, then went to raise my shotty and I heard one on my left and then looked at it and they both ran off....
Haven't seen em since out there....

I was on the ground using a foxpro shockwave with decoy attached to it that was 50 yards up the side of a hill. I side downwind from the caller and they get so focused on the caller that they don't pay attention to anything else. The fastest I have had one come in was 6 minutes. The caller makes all the difference with getting them to come in. I had zero luck with mouth calls prior to this.

You can definitely call them in with mouth calls and even lipsqweaks but the foxpro gets them so worked up they come charging in if they hear it.

Back