• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Coyote Hunting

Nothing yet. Havent been able to hook up or go anywhere.
Leaning towards 3" #4's. Just based on what i have read.

Lemmy N.

What kind of barrel? Cylinder bore, threaded choke, fixed choke?

You could always pattern it to see what it does best with, but the distance you'll be shooting may need an extra full. Or perhaps a full choke. But not to constrict too tight for large bulky loads.

If you're hunting up close, I've always done well with a modified choke and standard 4 shot and even 6 shot but expect it to tear up the pelts, but I hunt to keep the population down, not to make money.

Though if you're going to have a lot of distance between you, buckshot or maybe even a slug with a improved cylinder choke if you expect upwards of 100 yards.

If its ported or not, I'd say maybe 4 buck. If it isn't, there are a couple other options.

Federal Premium makes a FliteControl heavy weight BB. It's been discontinued but it can still be found, Buds Guns has it but its expensive at $18 for 5 rounds. Buds also has Hornady coyote. It's also a BB with the VersaTite. It too is a 3" but is nickel plated lead and not heavy weight shot, but its $11 for 10. Some have said nothing smaller than 4 buck unless its heavier than lead, while some say its ok to 35 yards. I haven't tried either of these though I have shot smaller varmints with a heavier than lead B load.

There's also Hevishot but that stuff is way expensive, $50 for 10 rounds.

I'm currently experimenting with Federal Premium VitalShok 3" 4 buck copper plated 41 pellets. With a ported choke I've averaged 12 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. I've not had opportunity yet to use it on varmints or predators.

Thanks. That was some really good feed back from all of you guys. Now i have a good place to start from.
Oh, and Im not worried about pelts. Just "sporting disease control."

Lemmy N.

@JayC
You mention he uses it for coyote hunting, I'm intrigued and would be interested in more info. Primarily choke and load but I also need to know what distance and what patterns look like. I've been chasing this white rabbit for a while.

I'll check that link too, thanks!

@JayC
You mention he uses it for coyote hunting, I'm intrigued and would be interested in more info. Primarily choke and load but I also need to know what distance and what patterns look like. I've been chasing this white rabbit for a while.

I'll check that link too, thanks!

I'm not sure what the pattern is, I never asked. lol He uses a Truglo turkey choke and #4 buckshot. He's told me before, he's shot coyotes at 100 yards (maybe 120, I can't remember).

@JayC
I moved our last couple posts rather than taking the other thread way off topic.

I have heard of people using a TruGlo with 4 buck. Specifically a TruGlo .667 turkey choke. I watched a couple YouTube videos of a guy making his own hand loaded 4 buck for this purpose and for use in a turkey choke.

100/100+ yards is difficult to buy. I mean no offense, just that its something I've been experimenting with for some time. I've tried several chokes, and several loads. I've used expensive stuff and easily obtainable inexpensive stuff and all the combinations in between with what I've had. The best I've been able to put together is a 40 yard gun and I have to question if 4 buck retains enough energy to be lethal at that distance. Furthermore, I'm very interested in, and even more so now, what patterns look like and specifics on choke tube exit diameter/constriction and load information.

I've tried choke tubes (for the 835 with 10 ga bore dimensions) with exit diameters of .745, .720, .695, .690, and .683. Two of those are Kicks, one factory, and two Carlson's.

No offense taken. I kind of agree, actually. All I know is, is what I was told. Maybe his range is off. Wouldn't surprise me if the range is closer to 60 yards, give or take. I don't coyote hunt, so I can't really confirm one way or the other as to the range, other than what he told me. I do know he's only got three chokes - the modified one that comes with the 500, a Carlson's full choke that I ordered for him from Cabela's, and the Truglo turkey choke. When he goes coyote hunting, he goes with a group of people, and they also usually use dogs, too. I'll see if I can dig some more info out of him in the future.

Cool, definitely if you're able get some more details!

Some of the turkey chokes, including TruGlo, have exit diameters close to the Carlson's coyote choke. I have tighter chokes, but I'm very hesitant to try something as large as 4 buck through them. The next smaller choke I have is tighter by .015. This is why I'm curious to which TruGlo choke he has. The Gobbe Stopper is more open and is close if not the same as my coyote choke. Even so, the pattern is only usable to 40 yards. If I could get to a solid 60 I'd be ecstatic.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this thread. I completely forgot about it. :oops: I did ask him the other day which Truglo choke he has, and he said it was the Gobble Stopper.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this thread. I completely forgot about it. :oops: I did ask him the other day which Truglo choke he has, and he said it was the Gobble Stopper.

No worries!

That Gobble Stopper is the more open of the two TruGlo chokes which makes sense.

Thanks for the info!!!

Back