• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Coyote or wolf?

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Sadly, the camera didn't get the face in the frame. I wish that it had so I could maybe ID it a little easier, but just for reference, the atv is in the background and it would appear that the back of the canine would be around where the headlights are. Which are obviously around waist high.

@oli700 if you're around, this may be a good question for you.

https://i.imgur.com/AlFjARW.mp4

I don't know if you'll be able to view the video above, so I got a screenshot of the best frame.

snip wolf.JPG

Sadly, the camera didn't get the face in the frame. I wish that it had so I could maybe ID it a little easier, but just for reference, the atv is in the background and it would appear that the back of the canine would be around where the headlights are. Which are obviously around waist high.

@oli700 if you're around, this may be a good question for you.

https://i.imgur.com/AlFjARW.mp4

I don't know if you'll be able to view the video above, so I got a screenshot of the best frame.

View attachment 25398

Pretty liesurely walk for a coyote. They are always moving quick and nervous when i have seen them. I have seen 3 wolves up close, killed 2 and they were very deliberate in their movements.

Thank you for the reply.

We're not "supposed" to have wolves here. At the same time, we're also not supposed to have mountain lions either. Yet, we do.

The state resisted for years admitting that we had bears, and we're covered up with them now.

Back 3 years ago, I was sitting out deer hunting one morning, and it was just at the crack of daybreak just where you could start making out some trees and stuff in the distance.

It was a Sunday morning and it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

I heard a wolf start howling and it was a long way off, but unmistakable. I'd never heard one in person before but it howled for maybe 90 seconds and probably 5 long mournful howls. And then it stopped as suddenly as it started and I have not heard it since.

It sounded like those howls like you'd hear on a werewolf movie or the old windows98 startup.

Although I knew I was safe and it was in the distance, it triggered something primal in me that made the hair raise up on the back of my neck when I heard it.

@alphasig you have a lot of experience with coyotes too and I'd appreciate your thoughts as well.

Thank you for the reply.

We're not "supposed" to have wolves here. At the same time, we're also not supposed to have mountain lions either. Yet, we do.

The state resisted for years admitting that we had bears, and we're covered up with them now.

Back 3 years ago, I was sitting out deer hunting one morning, and it was just at the crack of daybreak just where you could start making out some trees and stuff in the distance.

I heard a wolf start howling and it was a long way off, but unmistakable. I'd never heard one in person before but it howled for maybe 90 seconds and probably 5 long mournful howls. And then it stopped as suddenly as it started and I have not heard it since.

It sounded like those howls like you'd hear on a werewolf movie or the old windows98 startup.

Although I knew I was safe and it was in the distance, it triggered something primal in me that made the hair raise up on the back of my neck when I heard it.

@alphasig you have a lot of experience with coyotes too and I'd appreciate your thoughts as well.
That’s a tough one. My gut says coyote and but a large male. Probably 40lb+. I have seen coyote just walk and probably can see that in some of my other videos. I actual got a similar picture on my game camera just a couple of days ago. The weeds by its head is about knee high. The camera is uphill a little and about 20 feet away. The tails look similar too. Im guessing this is a male too.
8347cb24d2b563abbe428936b5a95f06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply.

One that I shot was running straight to me as I was using a squirrel call while sitting on the ground under a hickory. One shot kill with a load of 4's. The other was sneaking up behind me when i was sitting in a brush pile...yep, calling squirrels. I felt him when he twanged a limb in the brushpile. I looked around slowly turning my head. He stopped and just glared at me but didnt move. I had to just point the shotgun over my shoulder and fire. I didnt hit him square, so I shot him again with a full load 45 roundball/60 gr 2F Pyrodex select. I used a Walker Colt replica.

One that I shot was running straight to me as I was using a squirrel call while sitting on the ground under a hickory. One shot kill with a load of 4's. The other was sneaking up behind me when i was sitting in a brush pile...yep, calling squirrels. I felt him when he twanged a limb in the brushpile. I looked around slowly turning my head. He stopped and just glared at me but didnt move. I had to just point the shotgun over my shoulder and fire. I didnt hit him square, so I shot him again with a full load 45 roundball/60 gr 2F Pyrodex select. I used a Walker Colt replica.
The worst experience I had was last year. I shot it about 15 yards in the wood line and it dropped. I didn’t want because it was starting to get dark. Want to weight and take care of it before it got to dark. So went in with a flashlight in one hand and my 9mm in the other. Found it still alive and was going to put it down and it was about 15 feet away. I shot the coyote and it gets up and charges me. I put 6 more 135 9mm +p in it and finally dropped. But still alive. Took care aim and put one in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty liesurely walk for a coyote. They are always moving quick and nervous when i have seen them. I have seen 3 wolves up close, killed 2 and they were very deliberate in their movements.

I have noticed that many coyotes are in fact quick and nervous.

As you could see by the blur in many of my pictures.

Alphasig, thank you for giving me your honest opinion. It is very appreciated.

vokR13h.jpg

1kXwRyf.jpg

vntOu85.jpg

bLiZjf7.jpg

I have noticed that many coyotes are in fact quick and nervous.

As you could see by the blur in many of my pictures.

Alphasig, thank you for giving me your honest opinion. It is very appreciated.

vokR13h.jpg

1kXwRyf.jpg

vntOu85.jpg

bLiZjf7.jpg
I thnk I will change my guess...coyote because of the head down position. The yotes I have seen always seem to be head down sniffing or skulking. The wolves were head up more like dogs that are goin someplace. Know what I mean? Whatever it is, it's one or the other.

Those are pics that I have of coyotes. I'm sure they're yotes. It was the really big one in the first post that I believed was a wolf.

Back