• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Damaged barrel

I unfortunately need a new barrel on my 715t. I have contacted Mossberg for a new barrel, because the barrel is attached to the receiver they cannot replace it. I took it to my local gunsmith and it cannot be repaired. I think the most affordable option at this point is to buy a 702 plinkster just to break it down for the barrel. Hopefully the 702 will fit without any problems. This has been a nightmare I'm looking at $200 to repair a $250 rifle. Anyone have a suggestion of a more affordable fix?

First we need the deets! What happened that you need a new barrel? o_O

Squib loads may be able to be rammed out (maybe). Round the sharp edges of a 1/8" steel welding rod and cut just a little bit longer than the barrel. Apply WD-40 or maybe some bore cleaner (Hoppys) in the chamber end of the barrel with the chamber up and let soak overnight. Lube the rod so it won't scratch the rifling and put it all the way in the muzzle end and tap the end of the rod with a hammer being careful not to bend it. Might work to pop the stuck bullets out...

I unfortunately need a new barrel on my 715t. I have contacted Mossberg for a new barrel, because the barrel is attached to the receiver they cannot replace it. I took it to my local gunsmith and it cannot be repaired. I think the most affordable option at this point is to buy a 702 plinkster just to break it down for the barrel. Hopefully the 702 will fit without any problems. This has been a nightmare I'm looking at $200 to repair a $250 rifle. Anyone have a suggestion of a more affordable fix?

I just blew out 2 copper bullets and no damage to the barrel. Here is a You Tube Link...Try this before you spend the bucks. It really works and is safe. But you need trail Boss Powder, and paraffin. The video explains it.

About 11:42 (time) is where the rifle demo starts.

The barrel is not jammed with a squib load. Long story short my son fired with a bore sighter in....yeah, oops. The barrel is completely ruined. I cannot replace the barrel because the receiver is attached to it. I need to buy a 702 plinkster just for the barrel. I am going to take 2" off the barrel to see if I can bypass the damage before I resort to buying a new gun. Thanks for the help anyways.

The barrel is not jammed with a squib load. Long story short my son fired with a bore sighter in....yeah, oops. The barrel is completely ruined. I cannot replace the barrel because the receiver is attached to it. I need to buy a 702 plinkster just for the barrel. I am going to take 2" off the barrel to see if I can bypass the damage before I resort to buying a new gun. Thanks for the help anyways.
If you have enough barrel left to keep it legal length, find a good gunsmith who can cut it down and recrown it. It would beat having to just junk a longtime friend.

Back