• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer bad for forests?

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Ya' just can't make this stuff up. :roll:

The booming deer population in the northern United States is bad for the animal's beloved hemlocks, a new study finds.

During Michigan winters, white-tailed deer converge on stands of young hemlocks for protection from winter chill and predators. The same deer return every year to their favorite clumps of the bushy evergreens, called deeryards. The high concentration of deer in a small space saturates the soils with nitrogen from pee, according to a study published online in the journal Ecology. While deer pee can be a valuable source of nitrogen, a rare and necessary nutrient for plants, some deeryards are now too rich for the hemlocks to grow.

"Herbivores like deer interact with the ecosystem in two ways. One is by eating plants and the other is by excreting nutrients,&quot said Bryan Murray, an ecologist and doctoral student at Michigan Tech University. &quotUrine can be a really high nitrogen resource, and hemlock can be out-competed by other species in really high nitrogen environments."

Slow-growing hemlocks prefer low-nitrogen soil, and the prolific pee results in nitrogen-loving species like sugar maple outgrowing the hemlocks, the researchers found.

Hemlocks are already struggling to recover from logging and other ecosystem changes that reduced their numbers to 1 percent of pre-settlement populations in some parts of Michigan, Murray said. "At the moment, it's difficult to find hemlock stands where there are saplings in the understory that are going to replace the hemlocks in the overstory when they die," he told OurAmazingPlanet. The lack of regeneration could be due to a number of issues, but deer overpopulation is a factor, he added.

With the reduced hemlock cover available for deer, the booming white-tailed deer population means more deer crowd into the remaining forest. The researchers found more than 100 deer per square mile in popular deeryards. And young hemlocks have a tough time recovering from the deer nibbling and browsing.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/06/ ... z2VlX5vY80

Well, I'll be.

Sounds like someone needs to hunt more, or extend seasons longer to me.

John A. said:
Well, I'll be.

Yep. A real conundrum for the environmental contingent. What to do, what to do? Save a tree, shoot Bambi? Gotta be some exploding heads over this.

Yeah, that's what they're doing here to keep the elk population in check.

Instead of allow humans to hunt/kill/eat them.

In all fairness, they do have an elk season here, but you have to do an elk lottery to get a tag, and even then, you have a whole single weekend to hunt if you are important enough to get a tag. :roll:

Like bear hunting. You get two whole days in December when they're likely to be hibernating to get one.

There is so much of a bear overpopulation here, there is not enough food to sustain them all and they're using garbage to survive. I know of at least 9 different bears in a mile radius just around my house.

And those are just the ones I know about and have seen. There are different area's other bears could be frequenting that I don't ever see.

Although I was teasing about releasing the wolves, there doesn't appear to be any real consensus on how to control over population of wildlife. When ever a state agency decides to implement a hunter oriented control program the tree huggers come out in force to "protect" the wildlife. We are great for getting populations back to acceptable levels but that is where the common sense stops and emotions take over. Look at NJ for a while there...so many black bears that they were taking over neighborhoods. Families were locked indoors most of the time for fear of tangling with one. And still the gubment wouldn't allow hunting to knock the numbers down. The animals were more important than the citizens...doh!

Hemlocks are already struggling to recover from logging and other ecosystem changes that reduced their numbers to 1 percent of pre-settlement populations in some parts of Michigan

I guess now we're going to start blaming nature because it cannot adequately recover from all the crap we do.

Nature has an uncanny way of keeping itself in check, often in violent brutal ways. The more we do to try and help it along or soften the blow because we feel sorry for those poor cute and cuddly creatures, the more we screw it up.

That said, I'm all for extending the hunting seasons. :D :D

MikeD said:
Hemlocks are already struggling to recover from logging and other ecosystem changes that reduced their numbers to 1 percent of pre-settlement populations in some parts of Michigan

I guess now we're going to start blaming nature because it cannot adequately recover from all the crap we do.

Nature has an uncanny way of keeping itself in check, often in violent brutal ways. The more we do to try and help it along or soften the blow because we feel sorry for those poor cute and cuddly creatures, the more we screw it up.

True. However, many don't understand that People are also part of Mother Nature's domain. ;) We get reminded from time to time, but it doesn't seem to sink in.

GunnyGene said:
MikeD said:

True. However, many don't understand that People are also part of Mother Nature's domain. ;) We get reminded from time to time, but it doesn't seem to sink in.

Many feel that our intellect and self awareness exclude us from that. We are all animals.

MikeD said:
Many feel that our intellect and self awareness exclude us from that. We are all animals.

The jury is still out on whether intelligence is a valuable species survival trait. ;)

GunnyGene said:
John A. said:
Well, I'll be.

Yep. A real conundrum for the environmental contingent. What to do, what to do? Save a tree, shoot Bambi? Gotta be some exploding heads over this.

I'm all for saving trees, so I vote we shoot Bambi!

John A. said:
There is so much of a bear overpopulation here, there is not enough food to sustain them all and they're using garbage to survive. I know of at least 9 different bears in a mile radius just around my house.

Just to reiterate my previous post, my next door neighbors car was scratched from one end to the other today. I couldn't help but laugh out loud when the neighbor called them.

Yes, Mr. Game Warden, there are bear tracks on the car.

On the hood.

Yes sir, I did say on the hood of the car.

075_zps38351463.jpg

And on the fender,

074_zpsaa443fc2.jpg

and even on the side windows where it peeked inside to see if there was anything to munch.

073_zpsb5066f13.jpg

072_zps1f93cb22.jpg

Just for what it's worth, the car is parked underneath of a covered car port, so that means the bear was inside to have done that.

:lol: Hilarious.

Ha!...I bet they had some McDonalds in there. :lol:

Actually, the car hasn't moved in about 4 years. Transmission is out = no food in it.

This just reinforces my notion that the bears here have no natural fear of humans. They are too protected here, and the politicians and animal rights activists are doing them more harm than good because they are over populated. They don't have enough food to sustain their numbers, so they have to resort to becoming problem bears.

And not to mention, someone is going to get hurt probably sooner rather than later because of it.

This really chaps my hide.

Well if that happens, all the politicians have to do is ban bears, and *poof* problem solved. ;)

Interesting conundrum, and you guys and girls have my sympathy, down here it is the tree huggers who say the hunters need to get busy if they see more than one deer, indeed a major effort is put into controlling the numbers, no ballot, no fee, no season, no problems, nothing that will eat you, just some tiger country. Will be off next week to soak in natural hot pools and hunt in the shadow of Mt Doon (LOR/Hobbit) for the elusive Sika, hope the .270 will be in the shop by then getting all bedded in.

Merv

Back