• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer Hunting 2015...

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I have been scouting all spring and now summer for the upcoming 2015 Deer season... I will start posting up some trail camera pictures of my top prospects of this season. Anyone else putting in time during the preseason?

Always. Or at least April-December

The date and time is wrong on my camera, but here are a few recent pics.

trailcam 7 24 2015 050.JPG

trailcam 7 24 2015 097.JPG

trailcam 7 24 2015 101.JPG

Great pics John, in the bear pic I wonder if that is mama up close and personal with the camera.

I put my cams out about a month ago and need to make a trip out and check the cards. I left them both set on video this time.

I'm sure that is mama close to the camera. The cub won't wander off too far. Especially at this age.

As for the cub, it's no bigger than a puppy at the moment. Which means it's not very old at all.

From most everything I have heard the state wildlife folks say, they try to convince everyone that the sows have the cubs in the winter months while hibernating. This picture (and others that I have), prove otherwise.

I don't want to hijack the topic, but I know that I have complained a lot about bears and the hunting situation here. Well, this year, they're going to try an earlier archery hunt toward the end of October, which should be able to put a lot more tags on.

I still wish they'd do a late summer hunt though while they're trying to put on every ounce of fat for winter because that seems to be their most active time of the year. There was a bear that turned over my Mom's garbage bin earlier this week and also tore into 2 or 3 of her neighbors garbage as well.

@John A. I'm fully aware of your bear issues. Can you apply for an October tag i your area? You caught them on film so you know they are there, might not be too hard to pull them in with a little bait, or a garbage can. ;)

I can buy a tag.

But you can't bait them in. It's illegal to hunt bear over bait here.

More liberal whiny peta BS.

But I still shouldn't have much problem. I have gotten photos of at least 6 different bears on the camera in the last month (counting the cub).

Don't bait. Just hunt while eating a really smelly greasy BLT. LOL

I hadn't thought about that, but it's not a bad idea at all ;)

Back on topic

I have a picture of another 8 pointer, but his rack is so big that it gives me a file size too large error, so I can't post it.

trailcam 6222015 097.JPG

trailcam 6222015 131.JPG

My boy and I continue to prep for our first hunting experience. We have been doing some scouting and have been hitting the range regularly to get him plenty familiar and accurate with his .243 Savage. His groups are a great deal better than they were last Christmas. We have a weekend youth deer hunt in late October where only he can have a rifle but we plan to take advantage of the early opportunity for him. I have a buddy that has been helping us with locations. We will also take advantage of small game season to get him some field experience ahead of deer season. I'm not expecting to much this year but we have to start somewhere.

CarbineMike, I hope that your boy does get on one.

But as I'm sure any of us here will testify, it doesn't always turn out that way. The important thing is to make the best of the time spent together out there.

And take lots of snacks, but put them in ziplock bags before you leave home so the wrappers don't scare off everything within a mile. ;)

I probably shouldn't mention that I hunted hard for 10 years before I got my first deer, a spike, and another 10 before I got my second. The last 10 have been a little more productive for me as have started hunting farmland where the deer population is much greater.

CarbineMike, I hope that your boy does get on one.

But as I'm sure any of us here will testify, it doesn't always turn out that way. The important thing is to make the best of the time spent together out there.

And take lots of snacks, but put them in ziplock bags before you leave home so the wrappers don't scare off everything within a mile. ;)

I probably shouldn't mention that I hunted hard for 10 years before I got my first deer, a spike, and another 10 before I got my second. The last 10 have been a little more productive for me as have started hunting farmland where the deer population is much greater.

I hope he gets one too but I'm prepared to just enjoy being out with him. My daughter is my fishing buddy and we had some boring outings in the early years but it has paid off as we now know when and where to go. I assume this will be the same. Thanks for the tips and ideas...keep them coming.

Hunting with my dad, grandfather, family, the possibility of the monster buck, and just an overall love of being out there kept and continues to keep me out there hunting. Contrary to media hype, the making of a truly memorable and great hunting experience is not the killing and tagging of an animal, it's the overall experience. Many do not "get it' and are only in it for the kill and the trophy. Some of my most vivid memories of hunts are from those in which I got busted by a buck, watched fawns bed down under my tree stand or being scared out of my skin by the squirrel that jumped into my lap. Knowing what I know, I think you and your boy will enjoy the experience for what it is. Tagging a deer will just be icing on the cake.

I know it sounds sappy but I was brought up to enjoy my time in the outdoors and to not measure the quality of the hunt by the quantity and size of the game taken. I would have quit a long time ago if it was LOL

Hunting with my dad, grandfather, family, the possibility of the monster buck, and just an overall love of being out there kept and continues to keep me out there hunting. Contrary to media hype, the making of a truly memorable and great hunting experience is not the killing and tagging of an animal, it's the overall experience. Many do not "get it' and are only in it for the kill and the trophy. Some of my most vivid memories of hunts are from those in which I got busted by a buck, watched fawns bed down under my tree stand or being scared out of my skin by the squirrel that jumped into my lap. Knowing what I know, I think you and your boy will enjoy the experience for what it is. Tagging a deer will just be icing on the cake.

I know it sounds sappy but I was brought up to enjoy my time in the outdoors and to not measure the quality of the hunt by the quantity and size of the game taken. I would have quit a long time ago if it was LOL

It sucks I can only "Like" this post once...let alone just Like it....That is a perfect post about it....It's to bad more folks don't get it....

Mt. Jumbo.jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg IMG_0249.jpg

My first buck... ever! It was hard work, lots of sweat and blood and my part.. but worth every minute. I hiked my ass up to the treeline at around 2700 Ft (that's from sea level) the night before, woke up at 3:45am and found this guy and a doe bedded down about 300 yards from my tent. Watched them for about 30min as they were slowly grazing their way up the hill. Ended up intercecting with them on the trail as i poped over a little hill on the ridgeline... and took my shot at maybe 7 yds. Great views and a hell of a time. For Sitka Black tail... he was pretty avarage at 120lbs, but nice and fat. Proud of myself for putting in the work.

Just thought i'd give an update... I'm alive and well, just enjoying life offline!

Great pics AK, good to see you checking in!!

That is some beautiful territory.

Back