• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer Hunting 2015...

Three trips so far this season...no luck.

Last trip we saw a large whitetail buck...but we must have spooked him and he bolted before anyone really knew he was there.

I tracked him for about a half a kilometer up a steep hillside...his hooves had taken divets out so was relatively easy to follow. Then I guess he calmed down and the tracks got very faint and I lost the track.

Probably one last go for this season...in about 3 weeks.

fdc18e974ea9f9f3ed853af061f2aa42.jpg

My buddy got these two this weekend within 30 mins. His freeze is stocked again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I havent been on the site in a while or doing much hunting as Im going through a crappy divorce, selling my house and buying a house, and everything else that goes along with it just doesnt leave much time for fun.
What a #### show!
I did get out to my uncles place upstate NY last weekend and took this 6, and will be up there again with my uncle and the guys next weekend for the gun season I cant wait for a little relaxation!
IMG_1451.jpg keeper.jpg

Sorry to hear about the personal issues, but if I learned anything from my divorce, it's that I'm a much better man now because of it.

Great job on the 6 pointer. Makes me hungry just seeing it hanging there.

Nice buck Hock! Hope you have a good firearm season look forward to the gratuitous Model 99 pics....and the deer. LOL

Thnx Mike. Ha Ha my cuz asked if he could try the 99 this year so I may be using my marlin 35 rem, but if he pops one I will be sure to include the the gun in a pict.
Good Luck to Everyone!!
And have a fabulous Thanksgiving!!
God Bless America

Yesterday (11/15) was the opening day of MI's firearm deer season. This was the first time I have hunted opening day in a long time.

Absolutely beautiful day. Sun was shining and we hit a high of 60 something.

The farm I hunting only has a handful of guys with permission and the owner of the land it backs up to does not allow hunting on Sunday the pressure in my little area was pretty low. It sounded like a war zone around me thought.

I saw 8-9 does and 3 bucks. I think the buck was the same each time and every time I saw him he was moving fast and never offered a shot. The only deer I saw that was in my comfort zone was a really big do that came in literally right at the closing minutes of hunting hours but I opted to let her pass. Hopefully a decision I will not later regret.

I am hunting in our "Shotgun Zone" but we are also allowed to use a handful of straight walled cartridges (i.e. .357, .44, etc.) and muzzleloaders. I opt for the muzzle loader myself, my Traditions Buckstalker .50 cal.

My buddies brother got a nice 8 point and the guy down the road tagged a nice 10. (Sorry don'e have pics they rushed them to the processor before I made it out for lunch) I didn't come home with any venison but it was a great day in the woods and start of the gun season.

Here's my view from the stand:

OpeningDay_2015_001_zpsjwczsb2l.jpg

OpeningDay_2015_002_zpslmfkisqq.jpg

Leaving Saturday afternoon for the last go at whitetail or mulies this year. 3 day hunt planned.

Wish me luck! It's been a bummer so far!

Thanks fellers! On the road now...will give an update when I get back.

Don't anticipate getting cell service where I'm goin. One thing is for certain...it's gonna be flippin cold!! In the areas I'll be, the mercury has been dipping to 6-7F at night. Daytime 24-25 F.....brrrr!!

The season has gone down hill. Been hunting almost every day for the last week. I went to my cabin in upper MI the weekend prior to Thanksgiving and in 3 days of hunting only saw one set of lonely tracks. I saw 13 does the day I got back and have not seen as much as a hair since.

Ive still got the month of Dec but only have so many days when I can hit the woods.

As many know this is the first year to deer hunt for my boy and I. We tried the early mentored hunt in October at some state game lands not to far away but didn't see any deer. I liked it because we were the only ones hunting and had the woods to ourselves. Tomorrow is the first day of buck season in PA and we'll try again. Even though we are empty handed thus far we have had a great time learning and even better time scouting for deer over the summer and early autumn. We have also had a good time regularly hitting the range for him to improve his shooting with his Savage AxisII in .243. He has improved a lot. He seems to think that his first rifle is one step under a SEAL sniper rifle. I'm glad to see him be so proud of it.

As many know this is the first year to deer hunt for my boy and I. We tried the early mentored hunt in October at some state game lands not to far away but didn't see any deer. I liked it because we were the only ones hunting and had the woods to ourselves. Tomorrow is the first day of buck season in PA and we'll try again. Even though we are empty handed thus far we have had a great time learning and even better time scouting for deer over the summer and early autumn. We have also had a good time regularly hitting the range for him to improve his shooting with his Savage AxisII in .243. He has improved a lot. He seems to think that his first rifle is one step under a SEAL sniper rifle. I'm glad to see him be so proud of it.
I hunted for 10 years before i got my first deer. Its more about the experience then the game taken.

I hunted the last day I can of our gun season tonight. I saw one doe about 600 yards out in the morning at one hunting location. I saw 6 does at 20-35 yards during the evening hunt af a different location....where I cant take a doe.

Late bow and muzzleloading coming up...

Back