• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer hunting sighting in question

texasfan85

.270 WIN
Ok its been awhile since i have been deer hunting 2006 to more specific but was wanting to know what is be best bullets out there for 30-06 for hunting was thing of going with either winchester ballistic silvertips, winchester power max or good ol' remington core lokts any thoughts on which to go with or anything better out there.

Also my sighting in question is what is best distance to sight in for 50 or 100 yards i wont be hunting alot this year since the season here ends on jan. 6th. I will be hunting a fairly big field for the rest of the season since i didnt get a chance to scout and a friend of mine has a big farm he said i could hunt on that has afew desent sized bucks on it.

You'll want to use whichever one groups the best with your gun. All of those brands will kill a deer just as well as the other.

I like to sight my deer rifle in 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. That way you're able to aim right at the vitals out to about 200 yards. Some people like 3 inches high at 100 but I'm not a big fan of that just because I don't shoot deer that far away and there is too much room for error in the 200 yard range as the bullet is like 4.5 inches high at that point.

I use Remington, they just seem to shoot better through my gun. Federal is a close second.

Personally I aim dead on at 100 yards as I rarely will get a shot further where I hunt. I also do not have direct access to a range with a range longer than 100 yards.

This may change next year, I found a good spot for a stand at the edge of a ridge where, when the leaves are down, I can see a few 100 yards in 3 directions.

Core-Lokt is a great hunting bullet. So, too, are the others you mention. Big deer get deep and reliable penetration from the Core-Lokt. Smaller deer see bullets that are expanded in a shorter distance with the Ballistic Silvertips.

MOST deer are shot and killed at under 100-yards distance.

If I were to always have full-on side shots every time I don't think it would matter what .30-06 bullet you chose that day.

Those quartering angled shots where I have to catch behind a lower rib to reach to the pleural cavity would have a better chance with Core-Lokt.

nitesite said:
Core-Lokt is a great hunting bullet.

That's the one I use, in the basic green and yellow box. I couldn't think of the name earlier.

I like core-lokt too.

But I also liked the greek surplus imports that could be had from Civilian Marksmanship Program a few years back too. They came in 96 round bandoliers in stripper clips, but I gave the strippers to a friend and threw the ammo in a can until I sold the gun a few years ago when I had to pay some bills when I was off work injured.

thanks for in put i use to always use core lokts and didnt know if there was something better out there and someone told me the power maxs from winchester are good also but i think i will go with the good ole core lokts

Back