• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer Season 2012

Good call. That will at least slow them down. If they were pro's your stuff would alredy be gone.

Mt ATV has an ignition key but it's not even connected (it's a kick start)

Gonna get my barrel threaded and buy a Hastings Extended 6" rifled choke :) Hoping to put a pounding some deer this year! There are a few 6pts and a 9/10 pt I know of in my neck of the woods. Just as well, a few coyotes... Going to have some Buck Shot on hand >:)

Gary Murray said:
I'm going to switch out ignitions on the quad too.

Get a locking gas cap too....j.i.c. they feel like ruining your gas cuz it has a different key now....

man I hate people who do that sort of useless foolery.

they need a hi 5...

in the head.....

with buck shot.

ripjack13 said:
Gary Murray said:
I'm going to switch out ignitions on the quad too.

Get a locking gas cap too....j.i.c. they feel like ruining your gas cuz it has a different key now....

man I hate people who do that sort of useless foolery.

they need a hi 5...

in the head.....

with buck shot.

I agree, that's some real bs...

Saw 4 deer right before dark today. All appeared to be does and none were within bow range. Not bad for my first day of deer hunting this year.

My First Bruiser Buck.

Nailed this guy at 8.00am and got him in my truck at 12.30pm. I was hunting in a vehicle restricted area. When i spotted him at a 100 yards i thought it was a stump with branches. Turns out he was facing away from me and looking back over his shoulder. I lifted my wifes 243 Savage when he turned broad side. I did hit him a tad farther back than i wanted to but i did take out the lungs because just as i squeezed off a shot he took a step. I couldn't move this guy by myself and i was 2 miles from the truck so i got a hold of a friend of mine to come up and help. By the time we got him in the truck there wasn't much left of my plastic sled. Full of holes and tears. He weighed 244 pounds before skinning. Sorry everyone. I used a Savage and not my Mossberg. I hope i don't lose all my rep points because of it hahahaha?

010-22.jpg

Re: My First Bruiser Buck.

Oh

My

God........

That buck is so full of WIN! I'm amazed you dragged it two miles even with help.

BTW, the .243 Winchester cartridge is one of my favorites for whitetail deer, but clearly you made a spectacular shot. Please tell me what bullet was used; I'm dying to hear.

But clearly you proved once again that it's not the arrow, it's the archer.

Lose a rep point??? Are you kidding me? Hell, you just earned another!

I know how proud you are. Amazing story. Congratulations!!!!!!

Thanx NS. What makes this deer special is i used a reloaded bullet. I just started reloading in March and this is my first kill with a reload. I used a 100gr Speer Boat Tail. I love 243's. Shot many a deer with one including my first moose.

I also gave you + rep.

That's a fantastic looking buck no matter what you shot it with.

Meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer.

Congratulations.

Yea Yea. Great Deer Bla Bla. LOL. No really. GREAT DEER! And yes I am extreeeemly jelous. We don't have deer out here in San Diego County that break 150 lbs much less over 200. The coastal Blacktail breeds we have are usually around 120. Sheesh. What a beast. Thanks for the photo. My season starts in three weeks and today I am heading out to start placing my tree stand etc. So much work left to do before the season starts which is in three more weeks. I am taking a month off for Deer, Quail, Duck and Turkey if I can find the time. I am so freakin ready.

Paul

Paul. We do get big mulies up here in B.C. but very seldom do they break the 200 pound mark even in the rut. This guy was covered in fat so he was eating good. I got him in that area that i was telling you guys about when i built that game cart i made to pack in a small camp. It's vehicle restricted this area. I brought my plastic sled that i've used for many a deer but nothing of this size. Needless to say, my sled is hanging in bits. I think i may invest in a proper game cart that i can carry on my back. Thanx for the rep points guys.

Man that is a good looking buck!

One thing I found out last season was it is easier to do the African Safari pole carry than it is to drag. But we hunt in the mountains here and we never, ever get a nice layer of snow to drag on. :lol:

The deer cart's wont work because of the terrain (no such thing as flat) so that leaves either sectioning or humping it out because like the place you were at, they don't let us use vehicles and there are no roads. You may have to carry that damn thing up 1800 feet of mountainside. But that still beats trying to drag it through the brush and rocks and gullies etc.

This year I am planning on sectioning any deer I get and packing it out in probably four pieces. Head, Neck and two halves. They don't make it easy out here in SoCal that's for sure. I could always go where all of the other hunters go. But to me, that would greatly reduce the odds of seeing anything, much less actually bringing home some meat.

But hey Gary, I'm really interested in any pre-planning you did before going into a wilderness type hunt. It's a little more difficult than what a lot of people do.

Congratulations again, that buck is once in a lifetime for most hunters.

Paul

You need not worry about losing any rep points!!!

That guy is a monster, extra kudos on the reloads. Super extra bonus if you were wearing the Motorhead t-shirt at the time!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That has to help make up for the truck/ATV problems you've had.

Congrats Sir, all I've seen so far are does at a distance and a few turkeys.

Saw a BIG 8 point last night. I never got a shot but he passed by my buddies stand and he missed with his crossbow. DOH!!!!

Finally got the tree stand up this weekend. It looks like a good spot. Lots of traffic seems to go through the area but it's really hard to tell. No water in the river this year and the ground is powder dry. So, I can't really tell if there are 10 deer in the area or one that has been busy for a length of time. The acorn mast is non exhistant this year. So, no water, no food means they are getting their water either by traveling somewhere else up the river where there may be a pool or getting it from browse. I saw a couple of rubs. One looked old the other was a solid maybe.

It's going to take a good buck walking by to get me to pull the trigger this year because it is such a pain in the arse to get them out. What I do know? There was a nice six pointer in the area last year that we got on camera on the night that the season ended. Didn't see him otherwise. I'm hoping he is an eight this year and I'm hoping he walks by my stand.

Paul

I've been out 2 evenings and haven't seen a thing. The fella that own the property has been seeing them about half an hour after dark, so I think it's to warm yet. Wish I could get out today, but I just found out I'm working late...

Once it cools down the rut will kick in and then it's game on!!

Back