• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer Season 2012

That's the biggest reason why I always wear a safety harness. LOL

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

I cannot sleep when Hunting!! My Family-in-laws could sleep through a Nuclear War when Hunting and I hate it! lol

Squirrel Hunting however is another monster :p

When I was your age I felt the same way. :grin:

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

I should've posted this a few weeks ago, but have been too busy to sit down and do it.

As most of you guys know, I've had a trail cam out for a few years now and have gotten a lot of pics during that time and I have enjoyed doing it.

I have seen a few really atypical racks, but two really caught my attention.

One being the buck I called Halo, which has since moved about 2 miles away and I have seen some trail pics of him this year from a buddy on the same mountain ridge, but not close to where I would've been hunting.

trailcam81611atypicalbuck003.jpg

trailcam81611atypicalbuck005.jpg

And then this dude appeared out of nowhere back early oct. I knicknamed him 3.1 because he had 3 points on one side and a single spike on the other.

trailcam9212012033.jpg

I'll be the first to say that I'm not a head hunter and will always be a meat eater, but there are times when a cull needs to be taken and 3.1 was on that short list.

So a couple of days after season started, he wandered in and I had the opportunity so I took the shot.

I was using 120 gr Hornady SST in the 6.8 SPCII AR I built and he was drt.

I was also using the form 1 suppressor (which is legal in my state), although as is apparent, does nothing to increase first round accuracy and shot placement is key just like any other caliber or gun and he fell straight down in his tracks on the first shot with or without the silencer would've made no difference. The only advantage using a silencer when you're hunting is not to bust your ear drums and tinninitus.

The trail cam caught his last step. I also have it on video from the camera mounted on the rifle, but being about 60 yards away, doesn't show it too well. All you can see is a brown spot moving into the frame and a flash of white from his tail when he anchored.

laststep.jpg

deerhunting003.jpg

Nice John A!
On a side note, I have been looking at that stock you have for awhile. I believe it is an ACE, right? How do you like it?

I love the Ace stock.

The foam cheekpiece warms up very quickly even if it's cold outside, and the rubber buttpad is nice too. It's strong, but still fairly light and helps balance the weapon pretty well.

Food in the freezer is always a good thing :D That's what I'm all about.

Admittedly, this was some of the nicest looking venison I ever got. Not tough or fatty at all. I had a harder time deciding which were the choice cuts and which were not :lol:

That Halo one is Awesome! First I have ever seen like that. I wonder what would happen if they started to grow against each other... hmm

I'm not sure, but it doesn't look like they were far from growing together then.

I got one once that was a small version of that one, and the main beam tips turned up about the last half inch. After the skull cap dried, the antlers actually crossed.

Not mine but my BIL's deer from last weekends trip to my cabin.

That's two deer in two years for him, I think it's time to stop letting him hunt from my blind.

BruceDeer.jpg

Yes!! I have to say that little 2wd quad went everywhere I needed it to. I had some trouble on a big hill and some off trail stuff that I really didn't expect to be able to traverse with snow up to the frame. :lol:

I thinking of unloading my sport quad and picking up another one of these.

Back