• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer Season 2013

Nice job Mike. It does get easier the more times you do it.

Your ground meat looks great. Having a good grinder helps the whole process a lot.

Congrats to everyone out there! I had a great opening weekend in New York! Friday was the last day of bow and saturday opened up firearm. I sat out Fri and took my first turkey with the bow and turned around and took this busted up 5 with a new gun to me on sunday. I picked up this 1950 savage 99 in 300 savage about 2 months ago and it was killing me which gun to sit out with. I had the choice of the savage or the moss 395 that I refurbished last year, the savage won! To say the least it was a fantastic weekend!!

Attachments

• gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 68
  • bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 68
Congrats!!

Turkey with a bow is a real challenge, I missed one a few years ago with my bow. Deer is always a challenge.

I liking the Model 99. My family has one, also in .300SAV, that my grandmother (yes grandmother) used to deer hunt with. I love that gun and it is still my favorite lever action. In fact I think I used that gun to take my last firearm (last non-blackpower) deer.

Thanks Mike! Congrats right back at ya! I also have a lever 35 rem and a win 94 and by far this savage is the smoothest action and is quite the classic hunter! When I was younger I hunted with two gentlemen then in their late 60s that hunted with the same gun and I loved the look of it then.

You got that right selous! And I say it was all luck, with a group of 25 coming at me thats a lot of eyeballs!!

I hunted last night, the last day of the MI season. I saw the first deer I've seen since I got my buck. I had a nice little doe come in about 20 yards broadside but just could not get a shot. I must have made a little noise because she jumped and ran towards my buddies stand. He got a shot and hit her at 25 yards. She ran and fell right in from my stand. He was using the same brand/model broadhead I had problems with earlier this year. He hit her just in the rear of the rib cage and it exited the front shoulder leaving a hole you almost put your hand through. Mine must have been a fluke because that broadhead can do some serious surgery.

I might have had another chance if my buddy had stayed in his stand. He didn't see the deer still coming in from my side of the easement and assumed they all ran because the ones he was watching (that I couldn't see) took off as soon as he made the shot. As soon as the stairs on his treestand creaked, they all took off like a bomb had dropped.

It's all good, I get the excitement of the hunt without any of the butchering. I did drag it out and them helped skin/quarter it though. LOL

Now on to some Ice fishing until spring turkey season gets here. I think I may try the bow or crossbow again for turkey hunting this year.

Mike I thought you might get a kick out of this shot.
Its saturday and snowing here in jersey and dont feel like doing any work on the house so I thought I would take a little time and photograph my new old gun...the savage 99

Attachments

• savage 99.jpg
    savage 99.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 82
hock said:
Its saturday and snowing here in jersey and dont feel like doing any work on the house so I thought I would take a little time and photograph my new old gun...the savage 99

Damn, I need to check my safe to see if you have mine... ;) Something eerily familiar about that rifle...

hock said:

Don't know how I missed this. That is an awesome Model 99.

Back