• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Defender tactical adapter install

Never done a gun related review before. (Liberal snowflake and all that). Many of us 590 owners use the Opsol adapter so that we may use the various brand mini shells at the expense of being able to pop in a standard shell occasionally in the heat of battle. The new 590S addresses this from the factory, and now, Defender Tactical feeds the need for the rest of us. They list this little piece for $35, with a new magazine follower, but when I ordered mine 4 days ago it was $25 and free shipping. And as mentioned, I ain’t no gun mechanic, but after watching the 2 minute video on their site, I had both pieces installed and operational in about 5 minutes. I verified the popper was empty, unscrewed the cross bolt holding in the trigger assembly ( CT laser saddle replaces the push pin with a corby? bolt), slipped the little plastic adapter into the slots in the receiver, put the trigger back in, made sure it wasn’t locked up and put the pin back in. The web site mentions that the new red follower doesn’t HAVE to be used, so I tried it without. I pushed an Aguila mini buck in the tube followed by a mini slug,then a Nobel Sport 00, in the standard 2.75”, a couple more mini’s and another 00. I cycled them through the shockwave, without firing them, (living room,duh..) Everything worked as intended, EXCEPT, each time, the last mini shell, the first one pushed into the mag tube, would stand up in the receiver and fail to load. So, out came the stock follower and in went the new red anodized follower with its slightly different shape. Problem solved. Every shell no matter the length went right through, bing, bang, boom. All in all, I have to say that this little extra bit of versatility is gonna please a lot of existing 590 owners…F7A178A8-791F-4BE4-B1C1-9AAAD218F3D5.jpegDB98CE78-7BF2-4511-B8A6-142615C74405.jpeg A7C346FB-0929-4228-ADA4-234F08EC8D84.jpeg

Last edited:
What is the capacity with the little shells now?

What is the capacity with the little shells now?
8 Aguila mini slugs and whatever you put in the chamber before loading the mag tube. The last slug was a snug fit, in the 14” Shockwave. But the lead slug does protrude past the end of the shell casing, whereas the mini bucks are inset in with the roll crimp, so less thumb pressure to get the eighth shell in in the tube..10087977-32DA-41C7-8B2B-19EF6D57620A.jpeg

Thanks for this awesome post! Glad to hear that last shell issue worked itself out, it seems SOME of the adapters may have a short break in period. Thanks again and let us know if we can answer any questions about this or any of our other products!

I may look into this, the Opsol adaptor does not work for me. It helps I still can't cycle without issues almost every round.

I may look into this, the Opsol adaptor does not work for me. It helps I still can't cycle without issues almost every round.
You can go to their website and on YouTube to see more reviews...all positive. Appears to be a real solution that upgrades any 3" Mossy 12G pump to 590S capability. For $25!!!

Welcome to the forum TexasShotgunner. We're glad you joined. If you don't mind me asking, are you related to DefenderTactical?

Welcome to the forum TexasShotgunner. We're glad you joined. If you don't mind me asking, are you related to DefenderTactical?
Hi John thanks for your hospitality, sure I'm happy to give you all the details. I basically designed and developed these products. I couldn't find the accessories I wanted for my toys so I decided to design and manufacture my own, and since they seem to be unique things others don't make, we decided to offer the products to the market.

My son is Dawson you'll see him in most of the Defender videos, etc. He's about to graduate from Texas A&M and I'm letting him run this, he's done all the entity setup and website development and marketing and pretty much everything else, including some of the product designs. I'm just here for technical support and to help him promote and make sure he doesn't do anything dumb. Anyway I hope I haven't broken any rules or anything if so I apologize.

No, you haven't broken any rules. I'm one of the guys who is tasked with trying to manually approve accounts to help keep the overseas spammers out and I couldn't help but notice the location and similar names and was curious.

FWIW, I also have a good friend whose stepson is about to graduate A&M this coming December once this semester is over. I'm not sure what he is majoring in though. But I know he'll have all the credits necessary by Christmas break.

As for the design, it seems like you knocked it out of the park. I like that you used the groove in the receiver to lock it in place.

@TexasShotgunner After watching a couple vids I orderred one, I'm hoping it works better for me than the Opsol.

Atleast I now know who to whine to if it doesn't! LOL

No, you haven't broken any rules. I'm one of the guys who is tasked with trying to manually approve accounts to help keep the overseas spammers out and I couldn't help but notice the location and similar names and was curious.

FWIW, I also have a good friend whose stepson is about to graduate A&M this coming December once this semester is over. I'm not sure what he is majoring in though. But I know he'll have all the credits necessary by Christmas break.

As for the design, it seems like you knocked it out of the park. I like that you used the groove in the receiver to lock it in place.
OK great! For some reason things that are most obvious never get seen.

Back