• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Do You Remember The First Time?

For me it started with cap guns and cap rockets. Black Cats! I remember buying those things one at a time from other kids at school… Things like cherry bombs were out of my reach in those days.

This reminds me that I got a big grocery bag full of empty shells under my reloading bench, if I can get back to it.

Oh yeah. I love the smell of a recently fired shotgun shell.

Sometimes I just like to open the gun safe and sniff. It’s well sealed and all the smells get trapped inside of it.

I like the smell of fresh unburnt powder as well. I’m sure I haven’t powdered a shell in over two years now.

On my daily walk, I go past a water treatment plant. Directly from the aquifer, treated, then to my house. Lately I've been smelling burned gunpowder or maybe it has something to do with the treatment process?

Like gunpowder. there are a few other things that once you've smelled them you will likely never forget. One that I'll always remember and every once in a while, even today, sense the smell again is napalm. Naplam was first used during WWII mainly in flamethrowers but around 1964 a new formula, Naplam-B, was conceived to ignite more easily and to burn longer. During Vietnam over 388,000 tons of napalm was dropped over Indochina between 1963 and 1973.

Like the old line from the Apocalypse Now movie in 1979

“I love the smell of napalm in the morning, it smells like victory.”

For real, it was also a cap gun for me. The smell of the powder and the noise had an allure to it . I was probably 4 or 5 years old.

I don’t understand these people that burn incense. I just throw some sulfurized cutting oil on any drill bit, then heat it up on a piece of steel.

Not quite as good, but still an old childhood memory is the smell of new tires.
988A38AA-9089-4FE7-BD2E-E6DDB74D0EE3.jpeg
How come the tires smelled so good, but the air coming out of them smelled really bad?

Stale air.

Same as stump water.

Both are stagnant.

Yup, whatever powder is used in the cheap Federal shells, smells great when fired had me hooked since I was a kid
Need to try something like this for home
il_1588xN.2196895598_8zdg.jpg

Back