• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

DocNugent's Notachainsaw

Okay, Notachainsaw started life as a 500 Chainsaw, and we weren't unhappy with it, but our friendly Range Safety Officer encouraged us to at least try firing it with a more conventional (aim down the barrel at eye level) stance versus the waist-high stance the weed-eater handle enforces.

So, I bought a $20 UTG combat foregrip and clamped it on the picatinny rail where the Chainsaw's weed-eater grip had been:
notachainsaw.jpg

Already installed were:
- Knoxx recoil-reducing breacher's pistol grip
- 15 shell sling with single-point adapter strap
- UTG tactical light (150 lumens) that replaced the broken light (rather than a coiled cord, the new light is triggered by moving the index knuckle against the little flipper at the rear of the light - down for MOMENTARY, up for constant ON).

The new setup seems "more natural," but I'm leary about whether the change will increase felt recoil to the left wrist - the wrist is now at more of an angle to the barrel. Only some range time will tell and that may not happen for several months since there are very few ranges here that allow pistol grip shotguns.

A clear advantage to the new setup is that the 500 now fits better in its zippered softcase and in our shallow wall cabinet - the weed-eater handle was 4.5" wide.

If we keep it this way, I suppose I'll need to change my avatar . . . . :lol:

Hey Doc! I agree with the RO, its worth tryin out for sure. I def think the chainsaw handle will reduce fatigue over what you have, but I couldnt say for certain and only time and practice will tell for sure.

It looks good Doc, and i applaud all youve done to this point to learn the firearm and get comfortable with it! ;)

I would test both and go with what works best for you. It seems like the current set up would work better aimed up high as the RO suggested. If you are going to shoot from the hip the chainsaw handle seems like it would work better. Listen to your body it won't lie to you. Oh, by the way the set up looks wicked. I wouldn't want to look down the business end of either option!

Since the first time I saw the Chainsaw I thought the handle would work better if it was mounted so It was under the barrel, upside down if you will. That way you could sight down the barrel. Just my opinion. However I do like the mods you have done.

cbshooter said:
Since the first time I saw the Chainsaw I thought the handle would work better if it was mounted so It was under the barrel, upside down if you will. That way you could sight down the barrel. . . .
The Chainsaw weed-eater handle won't fit upside down because its picatinny notches are on the inside (top of the bottom part), and there's no slide-mounted picatinny rail above the barrel.

Back