• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dove Hunting 2012

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
September first marks the first day of dove hunting in Ohio!

Unfortunately, some of the places we hunt are hosting controlled hunts with priority going to youth hunters, there are supposed to be drawings. I dont know that we'll be able to hunt this weekend or not, maybe we can get out monday...

I'm still trying to find out if we can use dogs for dove hunting here in Ohio, i havent seen any definitive information. Migratory bird info doesnt specifically rule it out, retreiving dogs are almost always used for most migratory bird hunting, like for waterfowl hunting.

Maybe we'll just "wing" it! :lol:

Good luck.

We tried to get a dove season here but the antis kept running ads depicting hunters shooting doves out of ganny's bird feeder and apparently it worked. it got voted down.

They did a trial season in the lower near the OH IL border. It became a big deal when it was put on the ballot.

Yup the anti's, one of my coworkers was a BIG anti involved in this at the time, were telling people that if this went through there would be hunters hiding near every backyard birdfeeder. They argued that there is not enough meat on a dove to eat therefore the hunting was just an excuse to kill them for no reason, lead poisening etc.

I remember it well.

Dove season starts here in NM this weekend also. I've never been before, but I want to give it a try this year. Talked to one guy at work that goes out every year about going out with him some time this season.

This will be the first time for me too. I've bird hunted for quail and pheasant, but not dove.

A little different I guess, you actually wear camo and not the blaze orange. We have a few great spots around hear, with ponds, corn and bean fields, wheat and grasses like they seem to like and their migratory path takes them right through this area.

Oh, and on the dogs, retreiving dogs are allowed, same as waterfowl, which is what I had been hoping on. My pointers arent great at retreiving all the time, and the one is still a total nut and is unreliable at best. They pick stuff up and then get close before dropping it. Sometimes Em will put the retreived item in my hand, shes like 3 out of 5, so I'll get back to yall on that! :D

Just wondering how everyone did on the opener Saturday. We had our limits plus multiple Eurasians by 9:00 a.m.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

I've worked twenty-six 12-hr days in August and for the life of me I completely forgot about Dove Season here in Alabama. It's HUGE around here. Ours starts September 8th at noon. I'm just too tired to actually try to get out during early season and besides, today it was 93-degrees outside. Then this afternoon there were tornado watches and warnings popping up all around me before torrents of rain came. If this crap keeps up I won't be out on the 8th that's for sure!

Good Luck to all you fellas who hunt the silver bullet. :)

We didnt get out. Too danged hot plus double header softball games yesterday. Darnit.

I actually think the start of the season is a little early for them here. They arent flyin so much, theyre hagin out on the ground and in the fields. I've never hunted them before though... is it ok to flush them by walkin through the field?

Here in Pennsylvania...

Dove hunters have the opportunity to participate in a triple-split season. During the first season (Sept. 1-28), hunting will start at noon and close at sunset daily.

The second and third splits will be Oct. 23-Nov. 27, and Dec. 27-Jan. 1, with hunting hours a half-hour before sunrise until sunset.

In all three seasons, the daily bag limit will be 15, and the possession limit will be 30.

I would check the laws in Ohio Brad...but here in PA, we can kick the doves up by walking and hunt with dogs.

In addition to a regular Pennsylvania hunting license, persons 16 and older must have a Federal Migratory Bird and Conservation Stamp, commonly referred to as a “Duck Stamp,” signed in ink across its face. All waterfowl hunters, regardless of age, must have a Pennsylvania Migratory Game Bird License to hunt waterfowl and other migratory birds, including doves, woodcock, coots, moorhens, rails and snipe.

All migratory game bird hunters in the United States are required to complete a Harvest Information Program survey when they purchase a state migratory game bird license. The survey information is then forwarded to the USFWS.

Hunters must use non-toxic shot while hunting ducks, geese or coots in Pennsylvania. The use of decoys powered or operated by batteries or any other source of electricity is unlawful in Pennsylvania, except during the snow goose conservation seasons.

Thanks Shooter for the info, I do need to find out for sure...

We don't need the migratory liscense here, just the small game, but we are limited to 3 rounds.

Well shoot... I look it up again and post my findings.

Got to go Dove hunting last weekend at Camp Pendleton Marine Corp base. I got 14 in two days with the 930 and an Improved Choke. I put a new MRDS on her and it ROCKED! Just point and shoot and the birds started falling. Not bad for being the first time there and not knowing anything about the areas.

Tried hunting an area where they have Buffalo. But the flies were just absolutely ferocious. Drove me nuts. The area had been hunted pretty heavily and the dove were really leary. They stayed just out of range the whole afternoon and didn't get a single bird. Then as the sun started going down, the Tarrantulas started coming out of there holes. That was interesting. Surprised that we didn't see a single Rattlesnake though. I usually catch at least one a day just for the photo op. :D

But I had seven Dove for dinner the other night. Yummmmy!

Going to take my oldest son with me this Saturday for his first hunting trip as my "retreiver" LOL. It'll do the boy good to get out and get some exercise. He asked a little over a year ago if he could go Pig hunting but he wasn't old enough yet. You have to be 12 in Cali to hunt big game. Well, he's twelve now. I guess we'll see if he has it in him to do the mountains like I do. :twisted:

Paul

No Dove season in CT.
Something I am going to have to work on getting changed!
I could get 100 a day in my neighborhood....Off the neighbors roofs...LOL!

Back