• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dove, Quail, Pheasant...

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Just as of today I happened upon a state hunting area! Best part is its only about 10 miles from the house!!!

WooHoo! Should be able to get out in the field real soon!

Thanks fellas!

I may try for this weekend, gotta get my license in order! The suck part is that dove is a seperate permit from small game which covers the quail, pheasant, and chukar. Each one is $20. Soooo... maybe we'll just get the small game license and avoid shooting doves. Also, guns are restricted to 3 rounds for dove, not so with upland game.

Ally will go with me, and I may have a friend from work come out too.

Our season has ended too, but there is a late season that starts Dec 17...

We got our hunting licenses today including migratory bird, like dove. As things go however, Allison is sick again, which happens sometimes I just hope it isnt the kidney thing again.

So there may not be any hunting this weekend. I'm really bummed for her. We were putting everything together to go tomorrow morning, packs, ammo, just got her gun painted and put a sling on it, got our vests out, got Ivy's electric collar in the mail...

I dunno... I dunno.

Rossignol said:
Thanks fellas!

I may try for this weekend, gotta get my license in order! The suck part is that dove is a seperate permit from small game which covers the quail, pheasant, and chukar. Each one is $20. Soooo... maybe we'll just get the small game license and avoid shooting doves. Also, guns are restricted to 3 rounds for dove, not so with upland game.

Ally will go with me, and I may have a friend from work come out too.

Dove are probably considered Migratory in your state. I believe it's not across the board in all the states (some used to, and may still consider them songbirds!), but that probably is the reason for the permit issue. You got chukar? Them's some crazy mofos! I hunted them in three states. It's always the same. Tons of exercise, and birds that seem to defy the laws of physics! :lol:

Yeah, Blue, the dove are def migratory. BUT! We got the migratory permit too, it didnt cost any extra.

And, we do have chukar, though not in many places so I dont know that we'll see any. Likely be mostly quail and some pheasant! And dove when the late season starts...

We got out for a couple hours this mornin! :D

I met a couple other guys there, they were planting birds to train one of their dogs. I told em we were workin Ivy and they gave us a couple of their quail to use!

Ivy found one and flushed it... Well, you know how things you practice go out the window with stress? Allison... she got her gun up and despite having a shell in the chamber, she cycled the action and forgot which way the safety goes to fire! :lol: The bird flew away...

Oh well, we heard quail all over the place, Ivy was all over the brush just poppin up every now and then to look around but otherwise she was a badger diggin through the heavy stuff.

It really isnt cool or cold enough yet as its only the second day of the season. The brush is still green and there isnt really any air movin, just too warm.

We're goin back tomorrow I think!!!

Got a few pics!

Here is a pic of Ally and Ivy!

Here are a couple quail that were actually given to us by the other guys there that helped us out!

Allison dressed one on her own.

I thought this was cool pic! Looks like a heart and wings!

Here are both of the quail breasts including the one Allison dressed! Not bad for the first quail she ever cleaned! The knife in the foreground is her own knife, a Case lock blade, still made entirely in the US!

Attachments

• Ally&Ivy(Small).JPG
    Ally&Ivy(Small).JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 617
  • CamelBakHunt(Small).JPG
    CamelBakHunt(Small).JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 616
  • Ally_Quail(Small).JPG
    Ally_Quail(Small).JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 617
  • QuailBreast(Small).JPG
    QuailBreast(Small).JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 616
  • Two_Quail_Breasts(Small).JPG
    Two_Quail_Breasts(Small).JPG
    86 KB · Views: 616
I have some more field pics! But still too warm yet for good hunting, beautiful weather but 60 degrees today...

These three pics represent a very small part of the managed Ohio Department of Natural Resources hunting preserve we have been going to. There is soooo much we havent even seen yet.

There another field like this one just to the north that is larger by quite a bit!
Field_03Small.jpg

Field_01Small.jpg

Field_02Small.jpg

Ivy poppin in and out of the heavy brush.
Ivy_Brush_02Small.jpg

Ivy_Brush_01Small.jpg

And us!!! ;)
Me_n_Ivy_02Small.jpg

Me_n_Ivy_01Small.jpg

Me_WalkinSmall.jpg

Ally_WalkinSmall.jpg

And of course some gear!!! Oh, but of note! Having some awesome gear, hasnt made us anymore successful at the hunt! :D BUT! We're havin fun!
Mossberg_CamelBak_HuntSmall.jpg

I love the shot of you trompin' through the field with the 590a1! :lol: I can imagine a warden saying "You better have long stick in that magazine son..."

Ross, I love how you tell a story to pix. Its almost like I was there having as much fun as you both. Rock on.

And a side note.... I marked on my 835 on n off in sharpie next to my safety. Makes a glance worth it all. But it sux when it smudges off. Doh!

blue said:
I love the shot of you trompin' through the field with the 590a1! :lol: I can imagine a warden saying "You better have long stick in that magazine son..."

:lol: I know, not traditional in the least, but I know the gun and I like it! Oh! And you bet there is a magazine plug in there! No way I'm messin this up! Even if we never get anything, I enjoy being able to go and carry my guns openly and publically! I dont believe the magazine plug is needed for upland/small game here, but until I find the answer for sure I'm not chancin it.

RipJack! Thank you! I like havin pics to look back on, and as I mentioned, it isnt about getting birds everytime we go out! We enjoy just being out... and following a hard headed dog around the field for 5 miles, hour after hour. :D We do like it, we talk and hang out...

The Sharpie is a good idea, though she knows "forward to fire" because i tell her everythime we shoot! But I really think it was that moment of stress, even though it was just a bird, she was tryin to react and I think the adrenaline made her dumb! :lol: If you ever talk to her you can tell her i said so!

Its like anything thing else you would train for where stress is a part of the "real" scenario. You practice for consistency and muscle memory but if you never include the stress, there is a greater risk of everything learned being lost in the moment.

You know, like flip the safety forward and dont cycle the already chambered shell from the gun! :D

Our son's first hunt with his new stack barrel...he bought it himself for shooting on the high school trap team and for hunting.

IMAG0180-1.jpg

Very Nice! Thats awesome, congrats goes out to him! Allison did the same thing, though not for the school trap team. Wow, You have a school trap team!!! Thats great!

What kind of vest is he wearin? Looks nice!

what a great thread, dont know how I missed it !

Rossignol said:
The Sharpie is a good idea, though she knows "forward to fire" because i tell her everythime we shoot! But I really think it was that moment of stress, even though it was just a bird, she was tryin to react and I think the adrenaline made her dumb! :lol: If you ever talk to her you can tell her i said so!

We call it buck fever around these parts , and it dosent matter if its a grouse or a bull elk, happens to the best of them....she'll do better next time pa

Thanks Oli! I'm sure she will man!

I think some of the practice is starting to make sense now, why we do some of the things we do... we dont shoot trap or skeet, but we practice bringing the gun up and getting a sight picture on a target quickly and shifting from target to target. So I think that moment is seared in her mind now! :lol:

Rossignol said:
Thanks Oli! I'm sure she will man!

I think some of the practice is starting to make sense now, why we do some of the things we do... we dont shoot trap or skeet, but we practice bringing the gun up and getting a sight picture on a target quickly and shifting from target to target. So I think that moment is seared in her mind now! :lol:

Without trap or skeet it's hard to learn the most important lesson. I was taught a two step pattern for wing shooting:

1: Cover it

2 Pull away

You first get on the target like with a rifle. Right on it and follow it for millisecond (or so :lol: ), and then you pull away in front of it and touch off the shot. You don't "lead" the bird. You get on it and get the pace, then pull out in front and shoot as you're accelerating away. It's a very good way to not get in the habit of stopping your swing when you pull the trigger. There is no follow through to worry about because you're accelerating when you fire.

A bucket of old tennis balls, and some dry fire practice getting on the target and pulling away would be fun for both of you. Actually all three of you! I'm sure your dog would enjoy the extended game of fetch!

Back