• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dove season 2013!

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Looks like another good dove season here. :D Been seeing a lot them for the last couple weeks.

Shooting dates for my part of the state from MDWFP:

Once again, Mississippi hunters will enjoy a 70-day, 15-bird daily bag limit for mourning and white-winged doves for the 2013-14 season. The possession limit is three times the daily bag limit. Mississippi is divided into two zones to maximize hunting opportunities throughout the state. The North Dove Zone is defined as areas north of U.S. Hwy. 84, plus areas south of U.S. Hwy. 84 and west of MS Hwy. 35. Season dates for the North Zone are as follows: Sept. 1-22; Oct. 12-Nov. 4; and Dec. 20-Jan. 12.

Re: MS Dove season

Nice.

They tried to institute a dove season hear a few years back but the anti's got it voted down. They sold the public on the idea that hunters would be blasting them off bird feeders in grandma's back yard.

MikeD said:
Nice.

They tried to institute a dove season hear a few years back but the anti's got it voted down. They sold the public on the idea that hunters would be blasting them off bird feeders in grandma's back yard.

Around here, grandma would be doing the shooting. :lol: :lol:

Dove reproduce by the billions every year. Avg. annual national take of just mourning dove is about 20 million. Figuring 5-8 shells per dove (hard to hit the little suckers) that adds up to one hell of a lot of cash and sales taxes, not counting licenses and permits. Sounds like your state just shot themselves in the foot.

I look forward to dove for supper every fall. I'll eat 6 or 8 at a sitting. :mrgreen:

GunnyGene said:
MikeD said:
Nice.

Dove reproduce by the billions every year. Avg. annual national take of just mourning dove is about 20 million. Figuring 5-8 shells per dove (hard to hit the little suckers) that adds up to one hell of a lot of cash and sales taxes, not counting licenses and permits. Sounds like your state just shot themselves in the foot.

I look forward to dove for supper every fall. I'll eat 6 or 8 at a sitting. :mrgreen:

The state wanted it, the test season was a success, but the opposition groups got petitions going, forced them to put it on a public ballot then steamrolled it. One of my coworkers was a dedicated force in this.....lets just say tensions were high in the office at that time and are still not good.

MikeD said:
GunnyGene said:
MikeD said:
Nice.

The state wanted it, the test season was a success, but the opposition groups got petitions going, forced them to put it on a public ballot then steamrolled it. One of my coworkers was a dedicated force in this.....lets just say tensions were high in the office at that time and are still not good.

Well, maybe some day the politicians will change their minds. There's only 9 states that don't have a dove season - Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Vermont and Alaska.

It's not like they are an endangered species or anything. Of course that doesn't carry any weight with the environmentalists - to them it's the principle of the thing. Check out this propaganda from the Humane Society: http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/dove_shoot/

I don't know anyone who doesn't eat what they shoot.

Those "environ-MENTAL-ists" think that food only comes from the grocery stores and restaurants.

Yuppies.

How was everyone's 2013 dove opener?

Went down to Imperial Valley as we do every year and did very well. 10 hunters all got limits plus multiple Eurasians, which are now open year-round with no limit. Second day usually isnt as well but we had limits again and those who didnt averaged 5-7 birds. Anybody else shoot gray rockets?

Re: How was everyone's 2013 dove opener?

No season here. It got voted down a few years ago.

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Back