• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

dry firing a Maverick 88 home defense gun?

I recently bought a Maverick 88 home defense 18.5 inch barrel shotgun. I put a Hi Viz Tactical snap on front sight on it and went shooting in my back yard. The gun fired and cycled everytime but the trigger pull was stout. I don't have a gauge but it has to be close to 10 pounds or more, it was really hard to pull and keep on target. Is it ok to dryfire?, or should I use and empty? I want to try and get that trigger smoothed out some. Thanks

Reason I asked is that you don't have to spend a lot of money to make snap caps.

Trim off the open hull to just barely below where the crimp folded over, and squirt cheap silicone caulk into the used hull to give it some weight.

That usually works and is very simple and inexpensive. You can make about ten of them with one tube of cheap caulk.

Reason I asked is that you don't have to spend a lot of money to make snap caps.

Trim off the open hull to just barely below where the crimp folded over, and squirt cheap silicone caulk into the used hull to give it some weight.

That usually works and is very simple and inexpensive. You can make about ten of them with one tube of cheap caulk.
thanks i will try that.

Those Tipton snap caps are no good, I put them in and they cycle ok but about one out of 10 tries the gun won't fire. The trigger will pull but no hammer drop, I tried real ammo and the gun fired a whole box of Federal game load and a box of JM slugs without trouble.

Those Tipton snap caps are no good, I put them in and they cycle ok but about one out of 10 tries the gun won't fire. The trigger will pull but no hammer drop, I tried real ammo and the gun fired a whole box of Federal game load and a box of JM slugs without trouble.

The snaps might be a little thicker in the breech than normal, preventing the bolt from going into battery and not allowing the hammer to drop. Compare to a regular shell and let us know.

Update, I think it's a little the gun and a little me causing the no fire but not in a bad way. The gun is new and is super tight in the racking. I noticed when it didn't fire that it would also come back if the forearm was pulled on which means it wasn't locked up. When I really went at it with good force the gun fired every shot. I believe it's where I am using snap caps inside and I try not be too loud and disturb the lady of the house. When outside shooting I am really working the gun a lot better.

There are a lot of people who have learned what you just did as well. So, don't be embarrased about it. Contrary to popular belief, you have to work a pump like you mean it. No different than pussying around with the slide of a handgun. Rack it like you mean it. And it should work no problem.

And for the time being while the shotgun is new, it's better to not be pulling hard back on the forend when you pull the trigger. It sometimes won't fire, and it won't extract until you loosen your front grip. It smooths out with time.

Update, I think it's a little the gun and a little me causing the no fire but not in a bad way. The gun is new and is super tight in the racking. I noticed when it didn't fire that it would also come back if the forearm was pulled on which means it wasn't locked up. When I really went at it with good force the gun fired every shot. I believe it's where I am using snap caps inside and I try not be too loud and disturb the lady of the house. When outside shooting I am really working the gun a lot better.
I know it's already been said, but yeah... rack it like you mean it. These guns can and will take it and come back asking for more. Mine has a few thousand live rounds through her. The action is butter smooth. HOWEVER, she "likes it rough".

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Back