• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Duck Hunting

Awastatyme

.270 WIN
I finally was able to go duck hunting with a some buddies of mine. Loaded up my gear (including my 500a) and was sitting in the marsh at 5:00 am this morning. We could of shot a lot more birds but i am still not a great shot, then the wind picked up. The wind was about a 20 mph constant with gust in the 30mph range. We shot a good variety of birds though.

I was having a issue with my shotgun and will post it up in the 500 section.

mms95picture.jpg

Dang! Nice work man! Looks like a pretty good day!

Uhh, I recently ignored a sign for marshes and wetland area and hiked through it. Totally sucked. I had no intention of being that wet.

Rossignol said:
Dang! Nice work man! Looks like a pretty good day!

Uhh, I recently ignored a sign for marshes and wetland area and hiked through it. Totally sucked. I had no intention of being that wet.

Yeah walking around in the marsh is some tuff stuff to do. I sometimes get soaked from falling in the nasty mud and having the water get above your waders.

:lol: !!! FUNNY!

We were mostly in shin deep water just hiking between areas for pheasant! We didnt fall or trip, but we didnt have waders and it didnt work out well!

Choke for duck hunting

I have a model 500 that im gonna use for duck hunting. Is there a certain choke anyone likes to use for waterfowl hunting and any ammo that they prefer and why?

Re: Choke for duck hunting

I use Hevi-Shot Chokes personally, with Hevi-Metal shotshells, and this season the new Speed Ball load. I would suggest Hevi-Metal to start with due to the excellent performance I have gotten out of it and 500's and it's pure knockdown power for a decent price. Look for my posts about the model 500 pattern as well as Speed Ball in the Ammunition thread. If you have any questions, please ask

002-23-1.jpg

012-3.jpg

I've been using a full choke with Winchester Super X steel ammo. I would definitely suggest a full choke because you'll most likely be shooting pretty far hunting ducks, and with steel the pattern is usually more spread out.

Whichever you choose, just make sure it is rated for steel shot. If you look at the tube package, it will say "No Steel" on it usually. The thing to remember is that with steel, the choke constriction is moved to the next tighter one over lead due to the lack of compression in the steel pellets. That means an Improved Cyl will convert to a MOD, a Mod will convert to a FULL. General rule of thumb is to stay away from going to what would be considered a Full if shot by lead. A steel Full tube has the same dimensions as a Lead MOD tube for the most part.

Just in the name of safety, I wanted to pass that on.

I was thinking about getting the Kicks High Flyer choke in Modified I will be shooting over decoys so shots will be somewhat close. I also will be using cheap steel shot to see if I like the sport before switching to hevi shot.

Sounds like a winner. The Kicks tube is a good one for sure. If I had to chose one or the other, personally I would go with a factory Mod tube, and a box of better quality shells for the close range, over decoy shooting. You really don't see the performance advantage of an ectended tube until you start getting into the outer fringes of range. That will keep your start up costs to a minimum, and you wont be stuck with a tube to unload should you choose not to duck hunt anymore.

Also,keep in mind that with the $5-$10 Rebates available on Hevi-Metal and the Fall sales at stores like Dick's Sporting Goods,BPS,etc, that a box will be very close to the price of standard straight steel.

Either way, good luck this Fall!!

Waterfowl Pic Thread

I'll play. Although I was posing in one pic with my Ruger Red Label OU, these where all taken with my 5500MKII.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999390.079471.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999390.079471.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 597
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999407.275737.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999407.275737.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 597
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999429.793680.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999429.793680.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 597
Waterfowl Pic Thread

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999552.804374.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999552.804374.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 595
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999574.446759.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999574.446759.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 595
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999599.205792.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344999599.205792.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 595
Re: Waterfowl Pic Thread

Nothin wrong with posein if ya got the lead to back it up.....seems to me you got it down pat....

great pix!

Mossberg 930 & duck hunting

Sorry, but I'm posting this twice... Here and in the 930 section...

Yesterday was "Youth Hunting" day here in CT

I took my 14 year old out for his first "alone" hunt...

We went to a local pond and set up the decoys, I set him in a bunch of reeds in the marsh then as I was heading back into shore in the canoe he got his first drake wood duck, without any help from dad. Within 10 minutes, he'd gotten the hen...

Then it started to pour!! He got the Greenwing Teal hen in a slow spot in the rain...

So... for those that believe that duck guns have to be 3-1/2" & camo, my son would argue otherwise...

Grif_w_ducks.jpg

930_w_ducks.jpg

930_w_ducks_2.jpg

Smitty

Re: Mossberg 930 & duck hunting

I never said they had to be, but I like the added distance of 3.5 shells, either way good job scoring some ducks!

Back