• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Duck Hunting

Re: Mossberg 930 & duck hunting

Congrats to you and your son.

Mossberg 835 ducks

Used the ol John Deere Green 835 in Pa last week to shoot some ducks on the opener

JDgun.jpg

060-2.jpg

Re: Mossberg 835 ducks

Hey Chad, nice lookin ducks. I'm loving the hevishot turkey loads. Thanx for lettin me know about it.
That's an interesting color on the 835.

Very nice, makes me really miss duck hunting.

ripjack13 said:
Hey Chad, nice lookin ducks. I'm loving the hevishot turkey loads. Thanx for lettin me know about it.
That's an interesting color on the 835.

No prob, thank you!

The stock was originally Max-4 camo, but I am not a fan of that pattern, so I decided to paint it with OEM JD paint. It blends well, and looks cool. It isn't my #1 duck gun, but I decided to give it a chance for the week. I'm glad I did

Re: RE: Duck Hunting

Nice shootin'. I'm jealous. Out here in Kalifornistan I'm still waiting for duck weather to come. Been hotter than hell so I'm waiting until Nov.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Duck Hunting with my new Mossberg 935 today

A co-worker lives in a community a bit further "out" from the suburbs of Chicago where I live. I got to go duck hunting with his once last year (my first ever duck hunting). It was a blast and I'm hooked. I used my grandfather's 1955 Browning double automatic last year but i didn't want to use it again this year.

I bought a new Mossberg 935 at Cabela's a few weeks ago. I took it trap shooting (Federal 2 3/4" #8's from Wal-Mart which the owner's manual says you shouldn't or can't shoot in the 935, but they work fine. I was very happy to have hit 21 out of 25 with the 935 the first time out. I would have missed the 4 I did with my Browning too. They were tough shots out to the left or right extremes.

Yesterday I got the call that I was invited to go duck hunting today. I jumped at the chance. There is group of guys who work on the floating blind (I joined them a few Fridays ago and spent 4 1/2 hours helping out covering the blind in new cover.

Bob is the guy with the boat, the decoys, the blind, and the duck calls around his neck. He knows how to use them too!

Here's Bob and his son getting some of the deeks we put out re-arranged exactly the way he wanted them in front of the floating blind:

100_7895.jpg

Me in my position in the anchored blind with my new Mossberg 935:

100_7891.jpg

Taking aim:

100_7892.jpg

Ready to go:

100_7900.jpg

My co-worker friend who got me into the blind:

100_7893.jpg

The sun starting to come up:

100_7899.jpg

The ducks started coming around just as the sun rose. We saw geese and mallards but they were really far off and we couldn't call them in. We did get a couple saupes and I shot two buffalo heads.

Bob cooked up eggs, pancakes, sausage, and bacon inside the blind's fold down storage table that has a propane stove inside. This floating duck blind is just amazing.

100_7905.jpg

Here's a couple views of the blind from the boat as we were picking up the decoys at the end of the day:

100_7910.jpg

100_7908.jpg

Towing the boat out of the water:

100_7911.jpg

Me with my two birds:

100_7913.jpg

I marinated the cubed duck breasts in Island Teriyaki sauce and A1 Steak Sauce and then wrapped them in bacon on kabobs.

100_7920.jpg

Then they went on the grill:

100_7922.jpg

Our town had Trick or Treating tonight instead of on Wednesday the 31st so I shared the duck kabobs with our neighbors. I told them the ducks were shot this morning so it doesn't get any more fresh than that! I was careful not to overcook them. Everyone loved 'em! They were tasty little treats!

It was a great day hunting, even though we didn't get all that many shots. Perhaps I'll get invited another day and it'll be a "limit" day!

I was very happy with my Mossberg 935 though and the other guys in the blind (three of them plus me) were impressed with the Mossberg....

Re: Duck Hunting with my new Mossberg 935 today

All I can say is that I am JEALOUS!
Sounds like you had a Great Day!

That looks like a great day! Great post. Congrats on the ducks....and that looks delicious!!!

Awesome!! I want to see more pics of that floating blind. :D

Smitty in CT said:
Sorry, but I'm posting this twice... Here and in the 930 section...

Yesterday was "Youth Hunting" day here in CT

I took my 14 year old out for his first "alone" hunt...

We went to a local pond and set up the decoys, I set him in a bunch of reeds in the marsh then as I was heading back into shore in the canoe he got his first drake wood duck, without any help from dad. Within 10 minutes, he'd gotten the hen...

Then it started to pour!! He got the Greenwing Teal hen in a slow spot in the rain...

So... for those that believe that duck guns have to be 3-1/2" & camo, my son would argue otherwise...

Grif_w_ducks.jpg

930_w_ducks.jpg

930_w_ducks_2.jpg

Smitty
I never use 3.5 for ducks. I prefer 3 in 3,4's although I've killed plenty with 2.75's.

Back