• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Duracoat.

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Does anyone do any duracoat or parkerizing?

I have some hardware needing to be finished for my slings.

I can ship the hardware to where ever it needs to go and can pay someone who can finish these. Parkerizing would be my preference, but I can do a matte black finish.

The hardware is my rectangular "d's" for the leather sling to slide through.

If anyone here does it, or knows anyone who does, please let me know!!! Thanks!

Brad.

Re: Does anyone do any duracoat or parkerizing?

Brad,

I got a guy locally, I can let you know when he is going to do a big batch of park. When he hasa batch I can usually throw some stuff in gratas.

Look into a small home kit though, there not that expensive and can be done on a kitchen stove.

Cool, def let me know!!! I dont mind paying for it at all. I'm getting ready to post some pics of one of my slings and youll see what I'm talking about. I have some black rectangular loops that are nice, but a fuzz big for my liking,and I have others that are a perfect fit, but have a bright finish like zinc I'm thinking.

They would have to be bare metal, also some metals cannot be parked.
Are they steel?

Theyre steel, but coated. They'd have to be cleaned first, which is why I'm totally willing to pay for it. Theyre actually links from a chain, and if I have to, I'll go get more that are bare steel. I like em cuz theyre heavy duty and the only thing I can find that are just the perfect size. I could order mil-spec "D"s, but I cant find em in the size I need, or I can find the right size, but theyre chinsy. So whatever it takes to be the best, thats what I'll do.

Anyone here used it? I've read great things about it on the internet but haven't talked to anyone who has done it. I have a little extra cash but I'm not sure if I want to go through with it.

I have been looking into getting my ak47 duracoated as well. We have a member on the forum that offers the service that I am sure will chime in. I am trying to get a vendor to sign up so that we have a duracoater to provide our members with that service.

I've seen it's not too expensive to do it yourself. I won't be doing mine, my brother-in law is pretty talented when it comes to fixing cars and can do some painting. Think I'm going to talk him into doing my 590 and my Saiga. Just need to pick some colors.

Yeah, I'm fixin to have mine done by one of our members! I say if you like it do it!

Rossignol said:
Yeah, I'm fixin to have mine done by one of our members! I say if you like it do it!
I don't think you'd be that excited if you knew I was thinking about OD green on my mariner :D
Specifically the World war II OD green with the black furniture.
Don't get me wrong I like the marinecoat stuff just fine but the only reason I bought it was cause the price was better than a new black 590. Which I was going to do green or tan anyway.

:shock: Youre right! lol! I wouldnt have said that about a new mariner! :)

I'm having it done to my Persuader only because the barrel is blued and the receiver is black, just doesnt look right, my 590A1 is parkerized, and I couldnt see touchin that!

But, I do think it will look good!!!

I have a family friend that does it (DuraCoat) as his full time job. I could ask him what he'd charge, or if you're up to it DuraCoat offers a one color shake n' spray kit for 30 bucks. http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_shakenspray.html I've been thinking about giving it a try on my Glock 19. Prep is the key, as with any painting job, so just keep that in mind. Although that one color kit comes with everything from degreaser to a scrub pad to clean with.

see what he says. ask about two colors as well. Thanks

Well, turns out he's moving half way across the country. 0.o Man you don't talk to someone for a few months and everything changes! Something small like that he'd probably do it for 20'ish + shipping, but he wont be set up for a few months at his new shop.

oh well thanks for looking

Here is some pricing I got from Andy Munson. He runs a shop here in Oregon and is hands down the best I have seen anywhere....but you pay.
Check his site and you will see the work..... http://www.guncoat.com ... super nice dude

Hey Bill,

I've attached some recent projects and small coated items. I am actually getting open heart surgery on Friday so we wont be taking on projects until mid June, but I hope I can connect with you then.

RIFLE/ SHOTGUN PRICING
The following pricing covers most rifles and patterns.

One color on all metal parts $185
Optics (includes base and rings) $95

2 Tone (as requested) $225

2 Color Camo w/ netting or freehand stripes $345
Optic (includes base and rings) $115
Extra Mags $30ea
Bipod $115
Supressor $95

3 Color Camo w/ netting or freehand stripes on rifle $395
Optic (includes base and rings) $130
Extra Mags $35ea
Bipod $130
Supressor $110

Shadowstripe (white/black and tan/brown photos) $495
Optics (includes base and rings) $130

Digital ACU and other 3 color $495
Optics (includes base and rings) $130

Digital USMC Marpat 4 Color $595
Optics (includes base and rings) $145
Extra Mags $45ea
Bipod $145
Supressor $130

Tigerstripe (4 color) $595
Optics (includes base and rings) $145
Extra Mags $45ea
Bipod $145
Supressor $130

Multicam $695
Optics (includes base and rings) $165

Disassembly/ Reassembly* $85

*Not required - you can bring us the parts to be coated, but they must be completely disassembled.

HANDGUN PRICING
The following is general handgun pricing

Single color $165

2 Tone $215

3 Color camo $285

4 color camo $345

Complete disassembly/ reassembly $75*

*Not required - you can bring us the parts to be coated, but they must be completely disassembled (sights removed, etc).
All pricing includes one magazine floor plate to match. Additional items (holsters, lights, etc) can be coated to match you handgun.

All parts are first degreased to remove all oils and solvents. We then blast all the surfaces with aluminum oxide to ensure the surfaces are uniform and lightly sanded to take the coating. All steel parts are then parkerized for more "bite" for the coating. Then the parts are coated in the pattern/ color of your choice and finished with a clear coat.

All of our current coatings can be seen at this link. http://www.facebook.com/GuncoatNorthwest

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
Andy
Guncoat Northwest

http://www.guncoat.com
andym@guncoat.com
Office 503.650.0502
1335 S. Woodbine Rd.
West Linn, Oregon 97068

I have a friend of mine that used Duracoat a lot. He loves the stuff. I will have to get some pictures from him and post it. He has sprayed his Saiga 12 and 308, couple of SKS with it and I belive his Mossberg 500 as well.

My favorite thing about duracoat is the vast number of color choices. I have used a lot of it over the years. From plain to numerous camo's from old school to snakeskins.

But with use, it wears about like any other finish.

With bangs, it chips

I have finished guns professionally, and while the duracoat is better than most, if you can put it in the oven, the Norrells Moly and KG GunKote are all around better.

I used Duracoat to refinish the receiver on my 835 that had a lot of bad scratches. Also did the handles of a couple of survival knives. I will use it again. I was real happy with the finish.

Does it stand up to barrel and receiver heat...I don't use my guns as clubs so I don't worry too much about chips and scratches...but I would hate to do it and see it not take the heat !

===================================================================

John A. wrote: "if you can put it in the oven, the Norrells Moly and KG GunKote are all around better."

John... do you have any good recipes for baked shotgun ?! :D

===================================================================

Well, they're pretty simple recipe's, but yeah, I've baked more than my fair share.

Preheat part to about 100* f, get your air compressor cranked up to about 45 psi, spray it while the part is warm to the touch. Let it cure overnight if you don't want many fumes in the kitchen while it's cookin'.

Bake part @ 300* f for an hour, let cool, you're done.
-------------------------

Here is a Remington (blasphemy) reciever.
HK Socom flat black

870_reciever--after_duracoat.jpg

Here is a silencer. As we all know, they get REAL hot, especially in auto. Looks as good today as it did 3 years ago.
HK Socom flat black

Widowmakersecurityphoto.jpg

And here is the mp5
semi-gloss
widowmakerinstalled004.jpg

and the SMG
semi-gloss.
M10A1004.jpg

There are plenty other colors than black, and if I ever get to rebuild my 500 the way I want, it will be in flat dark earth like this AR receiver.
sneekpeekgunslinger452.jpg

And I have done a lot of stuff in duracoat too. matter of fact, I'm thinking of listing the buttstock and forend for sale here.

Here's an old 500 in ACU duracoat
ACUdigitalcombatmossy500rockscloseu.jpg

ACUdigitalcombatmossy500.jpg

Copper Crawler
coppercrawlerleft1022.jpg

I'm not sure if you noticed, my high dollar stuff gets bake-on Moly treatment, because I think it's the best.

Back