• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Duracoat.

Your story sounds similar to mine. My father was a handyman in our little town. We never had a lot of money so he took every job he came across and I, being the oldest, ended up tagging along to help a lot of the time. At 10, I knew more about basic home repair than most full grown men do.

When I was 15, I was dating this girl who had an uncle in the automotive refinishing industry and even after me and the girl split up, he still kept me around to help him. Helped him build a 69 Camaro from a scrap yard frame to a full drag car.

Since then I've been studying electrical engineering and more lately gunsmithing and metal refinishing. I have a friend I've known since 5th grade who's dad was a metal fabricator for Maytag (before they canned everyone and moved the facility in Iowa to Mexico) and he's taught me a lot. I'm learning how to work with knife steel from him right now in exchange for painting and parkerizing a dirt bike restoration he's working on.

I've always been indecisive about what I wanted to do, but when I upgraded the trigger in my Glock a while back I realized that gunsmithing was what I wanted to do. So for the last year I've been learning what I can from articles, books and videos like what AGI offers. I'm remodeling a 12x12 are in my basement specifically for a shop and trying to get my finances squared away to buy more tools to start doing this full time. I hate working for someone else and there really aren't to many gunsmiths in my area so I think it'd be a great market if I can get the word out.

I am interested it sneakys write up as well. I'd like to do my Ithaca and Saiga. The Ithaca is full of rusted spots...

also, i have used the set up in the link oli posted. i used it on my rims when i was 22, neon green. and i painted everything else i could take off and paint. and i had no problems with it.

PpuFBl.jpg

Like I said, you can get by with it, but if you compared a piece painted with the aerosol can next to a spray gun (airbrush or hvlp sprayer) the latter is going to look a lot better. Oli said he was picky about quality, that's why I mentioned the possible quality issues.

Yea that DuraBrite stuff is cool. I've been thinking about trying some on my Glock sights. It requires a base coat of white DuraCoat for maximum effect, so keep that in mind. You can buy it straight from Lauer Weaponry as well.

Hmm...i want the whole gun to be glow in the dark. well just the ithaca...

I remember Cooter doing that to the General Lee once.

Scared old Roscoe and Boss Hogg straight.

:lol: There is a thread on ar15.com IIRC that some guy was talking about doing his whole shotgun with this stuff. I don't know if he ever did or not, but I'd love to see pictures of it if you do it!

how do they hold up, do you baby them and pack them to your shooting spots in hard cases ? Or do you strap them on your back and crawl through the brush, drop them put them behind the seat of you truck ?

oli700 said:
how do they hold up, do you baby them and pack them to your shooting spots in hard cases ? Or do you strap them on your back and crawl through the brush, drop them put them behind the seat of you truck ?

they have been banged around quite a bit. the Duracoat is durable. I do not have a sand blaster. so, I have used a scuff pad on drill or sanded with 220. there are some chips/scuffs. but then again it is a painted type surface. and not exactly surface preped per the instructions.

MOST IMPORTANT. USE A MASK WHEN USEING THIS STUFF!!! even though you can't see the vapor/spray, IT'S THERE. even in a well ventalated area. I have gotten Broncitis at least 2 times right after spraying this stuff w/o a mask. even though it was out doors in the open. and it will jack up your sinuses!!

SLUG36 said:
MOST IMPORTANT. USE A MASK WHEN USEING THIS STUFF!!! even though you can't see the vapor/spray, IT'S THERE. even in a well ventalated area. I have gotten Broncitis at least 2 times right after spraying this stuff w/o a mask. even though it was out doors in the open. and it will jack up your sinuses!!

Thanks. I forgot to mention this. WEAR A MASK!!! I didn't get sick, but it didn't make breathing very fun for a few days. My throat was killing me, and like you I was outside. I picked up a 3M mask from Home Depot for $30 and it works for almost any project I can come up with.

also.. if you have a beard, or goatee, make sure it fits inside the mask. at the construction company i used to work for, we would have regular osha meetings, and they would come in house and test us and fit us for these masks. and technically if your face wasn't "sealed" properly you couldn't wear the mask. so the company would either ask you to shave, or put you out on some shitty job because you didn't want to "shave"...(read , conform).

I have seen guys who would shave just enough to get the mask to seal properly, kinda a weird look.

Slug, Nice work! I'm not crazy about pink, but it all looks real good man!

How scratch, wear, and corrosion resistant is duracoating?

How wear, scratch, and corrosion resistant is duracoating? I really like hard chroming but cant afford 250 dollars or more for a long gun. I like the ceraplating that ccr refinishing does but dont want to wait 6-8 weeks for my gun to be finished it is 169.00 for the ceraplating. I can get duracoating done for 120.00 and it takes 4-5 weeks. This is more reasonable to me.

Re: How scratch, wear, and corrosion resistant is duracoatin

I'm sure this has been covered here before, but duracoat is decent.

It's not the best, but it's not the worst either.

Re: How scratch, wear, and corrosion resistant is duracoatin

Yeah, I want the ceraplating. My main concern is that the silver soldered front sight on the barrel I am supposed to be getting will fall off during the baking or dipping process whichever it is they do and that ill have to have it re-soldered costing me another 200.00

Back