• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Elevation Maxed...please help

Joe W.

Hi Guys...I need a little advice please.

I just inherited a shotgun from a friend....it is another brand so I won't say the B word. But....it has a cantilevered slug barrel with a decent 3-9x40 scope on it. While shooting it for the first time yesterday I was consistently almost 6 inches high at 50 yds.....windage was perfect. The problem is there was no more adjustment left on the elevation knob to allow me to bring the POI down. I am sure it is ok at 100 but I would rather be on at 50 and holdover a few inches at 100. My shots are all usually of the shorter variety. I will be using it for deer and turkey.

I am thinking taller rings maybe?

Thanks,
Joe

It's OK to say Browning shotgun here. I would imagine there are quite a few fans of John Moses Browning's work here.

Taller rings may possibly help, with the caveat as long as your eye can still pick it up easily and it still provides a comfortable cheek weld.

I also know that some scope rings have an intentional MOA offset (meaning they are intentionally not the same size and intended for long range shooting). Is it possible that this may be the case?

Here is a 20 moa ring as example:
http://www.egwguns.com/moa-faq

Anyway, I'd swap the rings if it were me. While I had the scope off the gun in my hands, I'd re-center the crosshairs by taking them all the way to one side, and counting clicks until it stopped going the other direction and then split the difference in the middle with both the windage and elevation and see if something is going on with the scope itself. You're going to have to re-zero it anyway when you change rings, you may as well get a fresh start with the whole thing.

Good luck.

Browning,,,,Beretta,,,,,we love 'em all.

Even Benelli,,,,Baikal,,,,or Blaser.

Trick i read to center a scope is take a shoebox, cut a v-notch in either end. you can place the scope in it and rotate. Adjust accordingly till the crosshairs are centered in the reticle. I wouldnt want to turn the adjustment lock to lock both directions for fear of damaging the scope. Plus thats a lot of click counting. Easy to lose track.

It is a lot of click counting.

But it shouldn't damage the scope as long as you didn't force it past the end of the turret movement.

If a scope doesn't track correctly, there's something wrong with it to begin with.

Hi Guys...I need a little advice please.

I just inherited a shotgun from a friend....it is another brand so I won't say the B word. But....it has a cantilevered slug barrel with a decent 3-9x40 scope on it. While shooting it for the first time yesterday I was consistently almost 6 inches high at 50 yds.....windage was perfect. The problem is there was no more adjustment left on the elevation knob to allow me to bring the POI down. I am sure it is ok at 100 but I would rather be on at 50 and holdover a few inches at 100. My shots are all usually of the shorter variety. I will be using it for deer and turkey.

I am thinking taller rings maybe?

Thanks,
Joe

Might seem like a silly question, but I have to ask 'cause you never know someone's level of experience.

Are you raising the scope reticle up to the point of impact on target or bringing the reticle down further from it?

It is a lot of click counting.

But it shouldn't damage the scope as long as you didn't force it past the end of the turret movement.

If a scope doesn't track correctly, there's something wrong with it to begin with.
Scope quality plays a large part also. Ive had cheap ones that elevation would change if you went a couple inches left or right. And vice versa.

Might seem like a silly question, but I have to ask 'cause you never know someone's level of experience.

Are you raising the scope reticle up to the point of impact on target or bringing the reticle down further from it?

Hi LES.....I shot the gun for the first time at 50 yds....my groups were all centered (windage) but all were 4-5 inches high from my point of aim. I tried to adjust the top turret in the direction indicated as DOWN....it was maxed in that direction. I am no expert for sure, but I have sighted in a few guns in my day. DOWN written on the turret always meant POI down....or reticle up. So I think I had it right.

(it is a Benelli Super Nova BTW)

My thinking is if I use taller rings that brings the reticle up...and maybe I can adjust it down to be on at 50 instead of 100....?

Back