• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

final round pops out of mag

tommytornado

Copper BB
I just bought a Maverick Rifle in .30-06. Going to use it as a pig gun mostly but I have noticed that the final round in the magazine will pop out as I completely draw back the bolt. Any fixes that you guys know will work? Should I just contact Mossberg about this issue? Love the rifle and don't want to give it up. So far I have shot one 3 shot sub MOA group with the rifle and about three 1.5 inch to 1 inch groups with the rifle.

Welcome to the forum! While I can't help you with your issue, I'm sure that someone will chime in. Don't forget to go by the welcome area and post up.

Looks to me like it's a matter of too much tension in the mag spring. It's not unheard of in new rifles. The last round doesn't have any pressure from above to push back against the spring and will pop out. If you have any 'dummy' rounds or empty shell casings, try leaving the mag fully loaded for a few days to a week at a time until you notice any change in tension. Of course, live ammo will work too if you have a safe place to store the rifle and assuming all other safe handling practices are observed. (insert legal disclaimer here) With a little time and patience, this should help compress the spring enough to keep that last round in place.

In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to call Mossberg and make them aware of your issue. They may know something we don't and have an alternative suggestion. Keep us posted on your progress. I hope you get it worked out...

Back