• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finally something worth while on my Trail Cam.

I've heard mixed reviews about salts and salt licks/blocks that it works better earlier in the year so that the deer can replenish their systems but have no need for it come fall. I'm not a head hunter by any means but i would like at least one nice head mount on my wall. I tried cob corn that i bought from a feed store cause i heard the deer loved it. Well, i ended up with 20+ bears in 2 weeks on my camera because the main ingredient of that stuff was molasses. I'd be going in to work on my blind that i built and was running into bears still sitting there feeding on it. I need to be careful with that stuff because here in B.C. Canada where i live, it is illegal to bait bear.

Deers consume the blocks year round.

They'll even eat the dirt around where the block was at from where the minerals dissolved into the ground because of rain.

trailcam81612085.jpg

trailcam81612053.jpg

trailcam82011015.jpg

And speaking of healthy herds, if they weren't, they wouldn't be reproducing at such a good rate

young spike and 4 point

trailcam82712025.jpg

two spotted fawns and momma

trailcam82712056.jpg

trailcam82712060.jpg

Yeah John. You are right. Went to check the cameras last weekend and they are stopping to lick at the salt on their way through. One deer on there looks like the same deer that stopped for a quick lick the day before and came back around the same time give or take a few minutes. The big guy that i posted here wasn't on there but i did have a small 3 point whitey (6 point U.S.A. count) on there. Opening day is tomorrow for bow and i'm heading out after i get off work tonight.

Awesome Gary. I hope you fill the freezer.

I got 87 pics in the last 3 days. mostly of a female and young elk, but I got a few more pics of momma doe and fawns, and a nice 8 point I haven't seen around in since last year, so if he's still alive, you still have a chance to hook up with him and he'll be even bigger this year

Check the dates of these 2 pictures. I'm convinced it is the same deer

trailcam9211010.jpg

trailcam83112006.jpg

I'll say he's the same guy judging by the length of his main beam after the last tine on his right side. Also the brow tines look the same size in both pics.Whiteys tend to stay within a certain territory. Problem where i hunt is there are a lot of roads within that territory and i'm just praying that some road hunter doesn't nail him while he's crossing.

We're not allowed to hunt from our vehicles.

Or by spotlighting after dark for that matter, but we both are not naive to think that sometimes it doesn't happen either.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your paths cross this weekend. And more importantly that you have a safe, and fun trip.

Best of luck !!!

John A. said:
We're not allowed to hunt from our vehicles.

Neither are we. I often hear the term "road hunter" in reference to people that hunt a road (i.e. sit facing down a road) not necessarily from the vehicle, just using the road as a shooting lane.

I should of clarified. They drive the roads till they see something and then get out of the vehicle and shoot it. You are not allowed to lean on the hood of your truck to take a shot because it's considered shooting from a motorized vehicle. They do have some hunting laws in place for people with disabilities that they will make an exception for. Same if you are doing float hunts down a river for moose. The outboard has to be lifted out of the water before you shoot otherwise you are shooting from a motorized vehicle.

The DNR sets up stings here on occasion. They will set a steel deer between two houses or in a field. Sure enough some yahoo will drive buy jump out and shoot at it or shoot at it from the vehicle. Some shoot multiple times because, well, it didn't fall over dead.

They have some of those videos on Youtube. Pretty funny to watch. Our conservation officers set up stings too with decoys. They are powered so that the head and neck move and their eyes light up for those that use a spot light.

Gary Murray said:
They have some of those videos on Youtube. Pretty funny to watch. Our conservation officers set up stings too with decoys. They are powered so that the head and neck move and their eyes light up for those that use a spot light.

Yup, sounds like the same as they use here.

Back