• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finally something worth while on my Trail Cam.

Gary Murray

.270 WIN
Almost had a heart attack when this guy showed up on my memory card. In all the years i've used trail cams i have never had a buck of this size on them. My area isn't notorious for lots of big bucks like this but they are in there and usually only in the rut and never with a rack like this.
pict0017.jpg

That's an awesome buck. Hope he sticks around.

Yeah, it's common (for this area anyway) to see a lot of bucks and even does, until about 5 weeks before our season (mid november), then they're like ghosts or mostly nocturnal.

Great looking deer! Good luck actually seeing him what you have a loaded rifle.

I think he deserves a Mossberg cocktail.
...LOL, good one.

Attachments

• BigBucks.jpg
    BigBucks.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 461
Hopefully he sticks around till the season starts!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! That is freaking awesome.

I caught one like that on my cam last year. He only came out at night and I often missed him by minutes when when I headed out in the morning. I finally did see him one night about 45 mins before dark. He was under my tree for a good 30 minutes and never offered me a shot ( I had my recurve during bow season). It was torture. But very cool. My brother saw the same deer the next day and missed.

I never saw him again the whole season (gun included). Not sure if anyone else in the area tagged him or not.

It really gets your blood pumping and tag him or not makes for a great season.

I love trail cams. So much goes on that we never see.

I had my camera home the biggest part of the last 3 months due to bears and their destructive ways (they broke the pipe my camera was mounted on), but I put it out again last week just to get a feel for what's up there right now. It looks like that mineral block is helping every critter in there.

They've eaten almost a whole 50 pound block since about this time last year, and even eating the ground surrounding it, I guess getting the minerals that have leached into the dirt from rain.

I found a few rubs near the mineral plot, so I know there is some bucks in there, although I don't have any pictures of him yet. But being just the middle of August, that's not too unusual.

I did get 91 pics this week of a bunch of coons, turkeys and a few different does, so that's good.

The first couple of pics were some of the last ones before the bears decided to get hay wire.

trailcam5312103.jpg

trailcam4202012090.jpg

trailcam81612002.jpg

trailcam81612010.jpg

trailcam81612024.jpg

trailcam81612031.jpg

trailcam81612035.jpg

trailcam81612037.jpg

trailcam81612053.jpg

trailcam81612085.jpg

Nice pics John.

You need a bear box for your camera. Some companies sell them. My dad and I have made our own from small electrical boxes. We just found one that fits the camera as close as possible and then cut holes into the from for the lens and flash. They work pretty good and keep the bears from tearing them apart. Although the bears will still move them around even when they are ratchet strapped to a tree. Powerfull little buggers. LOL

Yeah, I've lost one camera to bears already and I need to do that.

Several years back when I was first setting that place up and building my stand nearby, one of my kids brought a new can of white spray paint with them in their back pack (I guess they thought they were marking for a construction site or something LOL) and a bear found the can a couple weeks later and bit into it (spraying white paint all over creation probably a 5 foot diameter spot and from the ground to head high).

The ground, nearby tree's, leaves, bushes. Paint was absolutely everywhere. Looked like it blew up LOL

It was really a sight to behold.

I cant' remember laughing any harder in a long time.

I bet it thinks twice before biting cans again LOL

But they really are powerful creatures and not something to play around with. A lot of people thinks a black bear will retreat at the sign of a human, but they don't have to. God help anyone where a bear doesn't.

I've seen them tear up those big thick plastic garbage can lids with their paws, and claw on electric poles until they're broken in two pieces.

06010626b.jpg

06011744.jpg

bearscat.jpg

This is the same pole, and the picture was taken about 15 months apart

bearmarkerpost2.jpg

bear019.jpg

bearmarkerpost.jpg

I hate bears.

Those are some great pix guys....i love the video. that's hilarious.
I really need to get a trail cam...It's like Mike says...

MikeD said:
So much goes on that we never see.

ripjack13 said:
Those are some great pix guys....i love the video. that's hilarious.
I really need to get a trail cam...It's like Mike says...

MikeD said:
So much goes on that we never see.
One of the best trail camera videos i've seen was one of a grizzly that was feeding on an elk carcass. Another grizz showed up and a bear fight started on camera. You gotta get a cam RJ. They are a great
form of entertainment and will help your scouting a lot.

I agree with gary.

I have learned a lot of things that I never knew or expected just by watching what is happening on my camera's.

For instance, foxes and raccoons aren't necessarily enemies (I have gotten several pics of several raccoons and a fox in the same frame not bothering each other)

Raccoons and deer also associate, although they tend to keep their distance

You can often pattern game so you don't needlessly waste a half a day in the stand waiting for them, etc.

I do it for as much of a past time for me than I do for hunting reasons. I enjoy seeing what I capture on camera as much as I do hunting.

I promise that I have seen more on the camera than I have in person.

But then again, I remember watching mutual of omaha's wild kingdom all the time too :cool:

Funds are tight but I'm going to try and make it up to my cabin over over labor day to put out some bait and set some trail cams

MikeD said:
Funds are tight but I'm going to try and make it up to my cabin over over labor day to put out some bait and set some trail cams
I've never been one for trying to bait. Not that i think it's wrong. It just never interested me till now. However, at the suggestion of a friend on a hunting forum, i laid out some salt and a couple of salt blocks to see if i can bring this big whitey back in.

Gary Murray said:
MikeD said:
I've never been one for trying to bait. Not that i think it's wrong. It just never interested me till now. However, at the suggestion of a friend on a hunting forum, i laid out some salt and a couple of salt blocks to see if i can bring this big whitey back in.

This particular baiting trip is for bearI should have specified that. I don't hunt with dogs and our terrain here is not really conducive to spot and stalk techniques.

For deer I've hunted both ways and both have their pros and cons. Where I hunt up north bait helps a bit but puts the animals on a higher alert when they are around the food. Where I hunt closer to my house there are so many bean/corn/etc. fields in the area that baiting is pointless. It's all about patterning feed trails and hoping for the random rutting buck.

I personally don't consider salt or mineral blocks as bait.

I know it can be a hotly debated topic, but I don't.

This is why I use and like mineral blocks.

Animals need minerals to survive, just like humans do. And when the animals can obtain the minerals better/easier or however you want to say it, it is better for the entire herd because they are healthier.

I'm not a head hunter. I could care less about rack size because I can't eat horn, but if the entire herd is healthier, they have an improved chance of surviving winters and illnesses better, weigh more, and usually have better population numbers. And a by product of that, is larger rack size too, although is nothing more than an indicator to me how well the herds are doing.

To me, mineral blocks are a conservation/management thing.

Besides, my state law says I have to remove any food source well in advance of any type of hunting season.

I will occasionally sprinkle a few cups of corn out throughout the year while I'm swapping the memory card occasionally just to keep them interested, but there is so much for them to eat right now, is nothing more than a quick snack while they're on the go.

It would cost a small fortune trying to keep an area baited year round in my area. And that's about what it would take to keep them there.

It's just not feasible for me to do that, but a 50 pound mineral block lasts me between 9-12 months and doesn't cost a lot, and helps the animals a lot more than a scoop of corn every now and then. I only do that really out of the goodness of my heart.

Back