• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finally the Stevens gets stripped

Pins and springs seem to be available. The screws may be an issue, so I will probably space them with thin washers. I can buy or manufacture those.

In assembling the gun it seems the Hammers will fall on the cocking lever now, and not the screw heads. When I disassemble the gun I will have to look at those parts again.

Looking at my photos above I do not see any marks on the hammer lands where they would contact the cocking lever.

That doesn't mean they're not there. It just means they don't show up in my photos.

Last edited:
I was almost able to get a 0.002" feeler under the hammers (between hammers and cocking lever) without forcing anything, but IMO that should be at least 0.005"-0.010" clear, so I will have to shim up the firing pin screws or replace them with taller ones. I think allen-heads would be the most solid choice, but hardly authentic.

Then again, fiberglass on the stock is hardly authentic either.

The screws used are commonly called Fillister head, but these have an oversized head diameter. they may not be available.

Last edited:
I am still surprised that parts are available. I've watched your progress and am amazed at your ability and stick-to-it-ness. I'm sure I would of given up some time ago and just hung it over the fireplace.

Hope you find the new pins and get them installed soon.

I believe that the only reason those pins are available is because they fit about 50 different shotguns manufactured over the course of 90 years.

IF this was a rare benchmade gun with unique parts I'd making those pins from scratch myself.

As it turns out this particular model 5000 may be the most rare of that particularly not-rare gun.

From what I read it's supposed to be the same as a Stevens 355 but so far I have nothing to confirm that.

That may be because the Stevens 355 (and any other gun made with the 5000 model receiver) was a very short-lived production.

Back