• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First line of defense, Tactical Dog Thread!

Sorry to hear LTB.

It's never easy, but keep your head up. All the fond memories of those we've lost will always be with us.

LTB, I'm really sorry for you and yours man and what yall are goin through right now.

Thank you for sharin her with us here LTB.

Sorry to hear of your loss LTB.

E4x4Eric said:
Meet the crew....

Not a dog but I just added Piggro to the heard since pigs appears to have a better hearing and smelling than dogs.

421330_3192309159391_1015758422_33114985_1241216348_n.jpg

Very cool,

I'm interested to hear more as time goes on. Maybe you should start a Tactical Pig thread... :lol:

Thats a fine pig! :D I've heard likewise... Heck, our goat is alot like the dogs and has learned to chime in when the dogs are alerted, i dont see why a pig couldnt do the same.

You mention the sense of smell which is why pigs are used to find truffles!

That'll do pig...

Some of you know the problems Ivy is having. We're still unclear how thats gonna pan out. If it happens to be lyme disease, Jenny is able to get one of the more commonly prescribed antibiotics.

As all this was coming to light, we seemed to adopt another dog, just by chance. He is an English Setter named Max, about 3 years old. I wanna call him OZ, the kids, or Cole anyway, wants to call him BMO from Adventure Time. Probably just stick with Max! :D

He origiunally belonged to a bird hunter in MO, (Missouri, not Mossberg Owners). He retirred from bird hunting and took Max to a kill shelter and figured he would be put down. He was also rather abusive. So, a couple in MO rescued him and another bird dog from the shelter and had him in the field hunting as recently as last season. He was then sent to a young lady and friend to the MO couple, who lives here in cincy OH. She has had Max for about 4 mos, but is a full time student and gainfully employed too. She wasnt able to keep him due to him bein a high energy bird dog, and couldnt give him the room and freedom to run with her schedule.

After having talked to her, she agreed to drive the 1 hour and 15 minutes to our place. He came to us with us understanding he was fearful and timid of men. I spent about 30 minutes of basic obedience with him and didnt give him the choice of behaving timidly and he came around and warmed up soooo quickly! In that time he went from slinking across the ground, not quite low enough to crawl, with his tail between his legs and tryin to hide at every opportunity... To walking nearly at a "heel" with his head up and his tail relaxed! As of this morning, he is greeting me at the door with his tail waggin!!! And prancing nearly... the way Ivy does. :| He warmed up to Ally and Cole right away, and even likes Lauren too, and of course he likes Jenny! Oh! And was sleeping at my feet all stretched out and comfortable even last night!

We have spent a few minutes here and there with some obedience... and it seems he is "whoa" broke, more or less. It isnt perfect, but thats fine...

Anyway, heres Max! My mom says hes too pretty to be a boy! :lol:

100_6542Small.jpg

Congrats on the new Boy. He is beautiful!
With Love and Patience he is gonna make a fine addition to the family!

Thank you fellas! I really hope to have him and Ivy in the field together this next season!!! Assuming Ivy fully recovers, I'm still hopeful! ;)

Yes, he does Oli! He has that mask like mark on the other side too!

Can you imagine someone havin beaten on this dog? And yet the dog is still so willing to be a companion and is very sweet! Sits or lays at your feet and will tuck his nose into your hands... If nothing else, hes happy just bein around people so if he cant hunt, its not like hes so high strung a dog that you cant have him in your house or around your kids.

Maximus bird dogimus. Ha!

Great looking dog Brad.

Rossignol said:
Can you imagine someone havin beaten on this dog?

No. I don't at all stand for animal abuse. I am a real underdog defender it seems and I just can’t stand to see something abused that cant stick up for its self. It is one of a couple things I will put myself in harm’s way for. And I don’t mean whale hunting and stuff I mean starving and beating animals

:lol: Thats funny RipJack, and thanks!

Oli, I cant stand it either. I used to do a lot of work for pitbull stuff and donated time, materials, and leatherwork to auctions and shelters. I also just gave time connecting people with folks who could help find foster homes or whatever for dogs. I know folks who helped with the rescue and worked with the Vic dogs... and others. Fighting dogs arent the only abused dogs out there just as you mentioned Oli. It all disgusts me.

Dogs are amazaing. Its amazing the trust they show us, the loyalty they give, even after goin through the stuff some people put them through.

Max is no exception. He greeted me today, tail waggin and hopping up and down. When he came to us, I was told he was distrustful of men. Darn good dog.

It's also how you treat them.....treat them with respect they will do the same for you. Treat them like crap they'll bite your hand off.

That's a kudos to you Brad.

Back